Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 10-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Love my pets

Default Earthborn grain free causing dogs to lick

I'm feeding Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Ocean Catch. Two of my dogs are constantly licking their paws and legs. It's become obsessive at this point.

When they were on Diamond Naturals or TOTW, they didn't do this. We stopped feeding these foods after the recall.

The only difference I can see is Earthborn has peas, pea protein, etc... Could peas be bothering 2 of my dogs?

Any suggestions?
Old 10-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Peas aren't normally an allergy concern, though I have a friend whose dog is allergic to peas (she's allergic to about 40 other things as well, including metal) so it's not impossible.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:33 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Im feeding the primitive natural from EB & i havent seen mine licking their paws, Buddy has always been very "licky" but i just think he's very clean LOL, regardless i dont let him do this... i hate the sound LOL.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Top Dog

I'd say the Rye or Potatoes are more likely. But anything is possible.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:37 AM
Love my pets

I have a little of the Primitive that I was giving to one of my dogs. I'll give some of that to Peanut and see if it makes a difference. I really like this food and can afford it for all 4 of them.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Show Dog

I fed Earthborn Coastal catch and primitive for several months but finally had to stop. My dogs did horribly on the food. Excessive shedding, two of them got hot spots and one of my smooth girls licked her feet like crazy, and coats just looked bad.

I switched back to taste of the wild and everything stopped. Shedding slowed down, dogs coated up very quickly, no more hot spots (have NEVER had them before) and Sage stopped licking her feet...
Old 10-30-2012, 06:48 AM
Love my pets

Spiritwind, I actually went & bought a bag of TOTW pacific stream again for Peanut & Kona. They've only been on it for a few days, but I already notice that Kona's eyes aren't all watery in the morning; she's also not licking as much. Peanut had the severe case of licking so it will take a little longer to see any results. If they do well on this, I will switch everyone back to TOTW.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Top Dog

My cat had the opposite problem lol, she started shedding and itching like crazy when I tried some TOTW for cost reasons. Back to the expensive Core we went, **** spoiled cat.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:15 AM
Love my pets

monkeys23, my cat didn't do well on it either. The only food that agrees with his stomach is Halo!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb04 View Post
Spiritwind, I actually went & bought a bag of TOTW pacific stream again for Peanut & Kona. They've only been on it for a few days, but I already notice that Kona's eyes aren't all watery in the morning; she's also not licking as much. Peanut had the severe case of licking so it will take a little longer to see any results. If they do well on this, I will switch everyone back to TOTW.
Yeah, I don't know what it was in the Earthborn that didn't agree with my dogs, but something sure didn't work with them. As soon as I switched back to TOTW (high priarie), everything stopped right away.. within days.

Earthborn was actually cheaper too, I could get the Primitive for 42.99 a bag, verses 47.99 for TOTW. Though they were 28lb bags.

Now I will say that I do like some of the new Merrick formulas. My dogs love the Merrick Grain free Duck and sweet potato. I do occasionally mix that in with some of the dogs food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
My cat had the opposite problem lol, she started shedding and itching like crazy when I tried some TOTW for cost reasons. Back to the expensive Core we went, **** spoiled cat.
My cats never cared much for TOTW. They are Merrick before grain salmon.