Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-17-2012, 10:19 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

yoko, your new signature is better than life.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:20 PM
Twin 2

Yeah, I haven't run into any anti-rescue sentiment luckily and to be honest I haven't run into a lot of anti-breeder stuff either. But more times than not people get distracted by not knowing the breed or pretending to know the breed so they forget it's a dog from a breeder.

The only time I got flack was from a pharmacist I worked with who lectured me on spending money on a dog from a breeder when there are a ton in rescue. Funny thing was she had never had a dog, adopted or otherwise.

But I will say I roll my eyes and grit my teeth when I see things like what you posted floating around.

And pet peeve here: No, my rescue dog doesn't love me anymore than my breeder dogs. In fact she would be ok if I left her a pile of food and didn't come back for awhile. Traveler would die.

I guess it's another one that falls into the, why do you care when it isn't your life, your choice or your dog.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Lord Cynical

I've gotten flak for having a rescue dog I "imported" from a foreign country.... mostly from people who don't do a fraction of the rescue work I do. Just can't wrap my brain around that....

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 10-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

I have never encountered anti-rescue sentiment from anyone. Evah. lol

I did have some people in a class I was teaching gasp when I said Keeva was from a breeder. LOL. I chuckled.

In my area, the general sentiment is that the gright thing to do is rescue. People who do buy dogs from breeders are often kind of like, "Well, we know it was totally selfish but we just couldn't find any Shiba Inu puppies in rescue, so we're terrible people, we know." lol okay...

I... just really could care less at this point. You think I'm a bad person for buying a corgi? Ok. I think you're really dumb, then.

But yeah, I know it's kind of shocking to see that level of ignorance and hatred from somebody you thought was a friend.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Resident fainting goat

The bad attitude goes both ways. Extremists/sour pusses will be that way no matter what.

People knock adopting from public shelters
adopting from rescues
buying from good breeders
from bad breeders
from pet stores

You could get a dog from the dalai lama rescued from the slums as a thank you for saving a burning orphanage and bringing peace to the world and people would STILL have a problem.

There are places on the internet where people ARGUE, rant and rave about which characters should be together on TV SHOWS.
People will always find something to complain about.

Just lead by example. Trash talking does nothing. Be happy with your dog and your choices and move on

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
I've gotten flak for having a rescue dog I "imported" from a foreign country.... mostly from people who don't do a fraction of the rescue work I do. Just can't wrap my brain around that....
People (either with no children or only "genetic" children) give my family flak for adopting children from other countries.
For some reason adopting a child from a horrible orphanage in the third world and giving him/her a loving home is wrong somehow.

Especially love it when people claim the "but there are so many homeless kids here!" card..and yet don't adopt or plan to adopt or do anything at all. Love the higher than thou attitude of people who do nothing but point fingers
Old 10-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

I am glad I have not yet run into that mindset since both my current dogs are from good breeders. I would find it very upsetting. Watson's breeder has become a friend...

I have also had dogs that were rescues...Two of my spaniels were rescue dogs.

I think it is sad that people can take that stance...either side of it...

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 10-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
Same here... Most of the time people say, "oh you actually got her from Mexico? Well that's cool." But more than a dozen times already I've heard, "why would you rescue a dog from another country when there are so many here locally that need homes?"

On the flip side, I sadly know a lot of anti breeder people.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 10-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
Never in my LIFE have I heard anything like that, lol.

If anything, if you don't have a rescue, I've noticed people look down on you.
Yeah, I've never heard/seen any anti-rescue sentiment. A lot of really aggressive anti-breeder stuff, but nothing anti-rescue. Most of the time, I try not to even admit to strangers that I bred my dogs. I pretend my dogs aren't even related, because I'm afraid of getting hassled.

I'm not going to do a breakdown on how much I lost on breeding my dogs, but I can tell you it was a whole lot. It will be a while before I breed again, I can't afford it.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Resident fainting goat

I've never met anyone who HATES on rescues. If anything.. I've encountered a handful of snobbery and those who dismiss rescue dogs but never anything resembling hate.
On the flip side, people who don't agree with breeders tend to be PASSIONATE about their cause and their hate for breeders.

Also, ALL responsible breeders I know support rescue.
Rescues that are ok with good breeders....I've never found one.

I've seen PLENTY of "Don't buy while shelter dogs die" shirts.
but no "Shelter dogs are a gamble, buy from great breeders" or similar ridiculous slogan.
I've also never heard of someone who adopted being told they killed another dog or were awful people.

The snobbery..it sucks. I've seen it happen first hand, I walk dogs of all kinds and have had people turn their noses up at the mixes the minute they hear they aren't purebred.
but in my experience, it doesn't compare to how people hate/vilify people who buy from breeders.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:15 PM
SBT Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
Yeah, I've never heard/seen any anti-rescue sentiment. A lot of really aggressive anti-breeder stuff, but nothing anti-rescue. Most of the time, I try not to even admit to strangers that I bred my dogs. I pretend my dogs aren't even related, because I'm afraid of getting hassled.
That bums me out because you and your dogs are awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I've never met anyone who HATES on rescues. If anything.. I've encountered a handful of snobbery and those who dismiss rescue dogs but never anything resembling hate.
On the flip side, people who don't agree with breeders tend to be PASSIONATE about their cause and their hate for breeders.

Also, ALL responsible breeders I know support rescue.
Rescues that are ok with good breeders....I've never found one.

I've seen PLENTY of "Don't buy while shelter dogs die" shirts.
but no "Shelter dogs are a gamble, buy from great breeders" or similar ridiculous slogan.
I've also never heard of someone who adopted being told they killed another dog or were awful people.

The snobbery..it sucks. I've seen it happen first hand, I walk dogs of all kinds and have had people turn their noses up at the mixes the minute they hear they aren't purebred.
but in my experience, it doesn't compare to how people hate/vilify people who buy from breeders.
This.