Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-17-2012, 08:12 PM
SBT Lover!!

Default Anti-Breeder Attitudes?

More and more of my FB "friends" and pages I "like" are posting anti-breeding/anti-breeder posts. I have seen several different "friends" share the following pictures from an anti-breeder page.

I have never bought a dog from a breeder, but my next dog may very well be from a breeder. I have a feeling I am going to get a lot of flack from my rescue "friends." I may even lose some of these "friends." I disagree with this anti-breeder attitude, though, and here's why.

If a ban on breeding truly succeeded and there were no breeders, and people succeeded at having every dog spayed/neutered, about 10-15 years down the line we would have no more dogs and, as a dog lover, that would be a wolrd I would not want to live in. I truly believe that ethical/responsible/reputable breeders can have a place in this world along side rescuers/shelters. I know of some that do, but if this anti-breeder attitude continues, I fear for that relationship which makes me fear for the dogs.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:20 PM
such sights to show you

Well, same old same old... simple answers and oversimplification are easier than thinking about the nuances of a complex issue.

Also one of my pet peeves is... it's not like no money changes hands for rescues. You're essentially buying a dog from a rescue.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Delete them, I do.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Top Dog

I find it ridiculous.

GOOD reputable breeders are NOT the problem (you know the people who make you sign a contract stating that if you cannot have your dog anymore, they take them back)... their dogs aren't the ones over-crowding the shelters

My next dog will 95% be from a breeder. I have very specific wants for my next dog, and I also just... want to. And it is kind of irritating, I am sure I will have people that don't understand because they all know me as the "dog person" so how could I NOT rescue?!?

But what is more annoying is the people who just... do not understand that 'breeder' is such a loose term, it doesn't fit all of them. Media, PETA and SPCA, etc, have all shoved down our throats that "rescue not breeder" and lump all breeders as bad. So when a normal non-dog person thinks breeder, they think they're all one in the same. Like my mom is dog-dumb, she knows nothing about dogs besides what I tell her, and when my cousin got a puppy... she exclaims to me "and she did the RIGHT thing... she rescued it from a farm in PA in amish country. They had all kinds of different breeds. Hers is a peek-a-poo. See, she didn't go to a pet store and get a dog from a puppy mill!" *slaps head* But she's not trying to be mean... she just truly doesn't understand at ALL. So she hears in her head: pet stores = bad. And that's that.

Or like the people I know who have gotten dogs from 'breeders' ... they've all been the 'oh my teacup Yorkie flies in tomorrow from Missouri!' kind of people. And they can't differentiate that from a reputable breeder.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Behavior Nerd

I lost a "friend" when I bought Aeri but obviously she wasn't a friend if that's all it took, so yea, good riddance. This sort of anti-breeder sentiment just ticks me the heck off...

Old 10-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Top Dog

Ignore, if they give you a lot of hassle, delete. I have a few on my list too but they don't say too much, may change when I have a litter, but their loss. It's not like I'm one of MANY on my friends list who have intact cats and free kitten giveaways.... I don't get on their cases too much (because they're too dumb to know what a spay is ) so I expect the anti breeder people to do the same.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Aussie Obssessed

YOu know this is actually pretty accurate for me

when I look at my dogs I can definitely see the hundreds and thousands of dollars I've put into them before breeding. These creatures are black holes that money never comes back out of they just take and take and....
XD
Old 10-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Top Dog

Oh yeah. I used to foster for a rescue in my area. When I got Malyk (who is a purebred breeder dog), and considered for a short time showing him so I could breed him (possibly, if he proved worthy) they all condemned and stopped talking to me. I have found a lot of rescue folk have a hard time finding a middle ground with a lot of things. To them, there's no such thing as responsible breeding, or responsible tethering, or being responsible with an unaltered dog... It's just ridiculous.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Top Dog

I think the 'problem' with people who feel that way is that they very strongly feel that their position is the morally defensible one and that if you don't agree with them 100% you're helping perpetuate an evil. That sort of emotion isn't going to help open a meaningful dialogue between people who don't quite agree, y'know?

I've also met a couple people who are very involved with their local shelter, and say all breeders do XYZ, when those are just the breeders they've encountered through their shelter. When you try to point out that a good breeder is not going to dump half a litter of 6 month old puppies off because the bitch is pregnant again, it's almost like... they can't hear you, because your experience is so far removed from theirs that it's unbelievable.

I've had some nasty comments about buying Elsie. You just have to shrug it off.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Top Dog

This is one of those times where I'm glad that 95% of my friends are not "dog people". And that those that are do not feel the need to sit on some self built moral high horse and have the ability and maturity to respect another's opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keechak View Post
YOu know this is actually pretty accurate for me

when I look at my dogs I can definitely see the hundreds and thousands of dollars I've put into them before breeding. These creatures are black holes that money never comes back out of they just take and take and....
XD

I love you, Erin.