Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-16-2012, 09:12 PM
orange iguanas.

That's super crappy. Where the heck are the parents of these kids that think it's okay to harass animals like that? Who does that?!

I'm not really sure what I would do. I don't think I would stop going to a DOG park that my DOG enjoys, all because of some bratty kids. But yeah you don't want to be the one that gets screwed over if something happens. I don't know how your park is set up... is it possible to move to a kid-free area? And just kinda keep your distance?

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
I'd stop bringing Baloo to the dog park. Something happens, it's not the kid that's gonna be blamed -- even if there is a sign.
This ^. I'd limit it to just Chevelle as long as the kids are being a problem, and work on Baloo's issues for his own safety in case something does happen in the future. It sounds like he does have a lot of restraint, but those kids are way over the top.

And definitely explore different ways of getting the park to enforce the no kids rule. That's just a recipe for disaster.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Behavior Nerd

Could the regulars help each other enforce the rules? Rotate who keeps an eye on the gate and meets ANY kids and blocks entrance?

Old 10-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Top Dog

Another thing I'd be concerned about, even more so than liability and a kid getting hurt, is that the continual harassment might make Baloo more fearful of children, more defensive, and possibly even more defensive towards people in general, not just kids.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I just plain wouldn't go anymore. This is the same reason I stopped going with Auggie to the dog park. There is also a "no kids" rule, no kids under 12 at all, and parents still brought their kids. They can't follow the rules so it spoils it for everybody, so it sucks, but I'm not putting Auggie into a bad situation because they can't or won't read the rules.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Top Dog

Go at times when there should be less children.

Be proactive and block the gate.

If a kid comes in, leash up your pup and leave or at least get away as far as you can.

Personally, I dont like dog parks because they are too many issues just like this that occur there
Old 10-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Let it be

how does one even let their child run around liek that at a dog park? Heck some times I put Briggs DOWN at the dog park because its huge. He has zero listening skills and he has never even so much as giggled at a dog there let alone approached it to harass it.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Top Dog

I would definitely work on Baloo's recall before going again. Go on really off hours and work on it there...get it pretty prime, so if you see an issue, you'll get him and be gone before something happens.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Top Dog

I will definitely work on his recall. We have been needing to do that anyways... It sucks. Any suggestions on the best methods for this?

And I like the padlock idea. I could also maybe make a sign to put on the gate? There is only one entrance.

We have argued with a couple of the parents before when we asked their kids to leave. The general public seems to think that "if your dog doesn't like kids, you shouldn't bring them to the dog park." Uh, what? ): I don't bring my dog to the dog park to play with kids... That's why it's called a DOG park...not a playground.

The actual dog park area itself isn't very big...maybe an acre. Maybe.

And a lot of the parents think it's just fine to let their kids run amok inside the fence. I just don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Another thing I'd be concerned about, even more so than liability and a kid getting hurt, is that the continual harassment might make Baloo more fearful of children, more defensive, and possibly even more defensive towards people in general, not just kids.
I didn't think of this. ): I certainly hope not. It's just rude kids he has issues with... There is a little girl that comes sometimes that he is over the moon for. She can do whatever she wants with him because she is nice about it and calls him "Loo-loo". Lol. This is a good point, though. Yikes...

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Big time recall work, if the dog is ever panicked you should be able to recall him and if the kid follows you can then trip said kid.

Also water gun the kid.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.