Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Top Dog

I mean, if you don't like it... You could just stop doing it. If you don't do it, you may always question "What if?".

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Behavior Nerd

Are you sure you have to make the decision right now? Perhaps she'd be willing to loan you the equipment for a "trial period" so you can try it on for size a bit more before committing?

Old 10-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Are you sure you have to make the decision right now? Perhaps she'd be willing to loan you the equipment for a "trial period" so you can try it on for size a bit more before committing?
Or rent? That might be an option. I'd be hesitant to make that kind of commitment (especially OMGRIGHTNAO) as well.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 10-16-2012, 01:15 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
I mean, if you don't like it... You could just stop doing it. If you don't do it, you may always question "What if?".
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
Or rent? That might be an option. I'd be hesitant to make that kind of commitment (especially OMGRIGHTNAO) as well.

I think that all her equipment is already spoken for. In passing, she said something along the lines of "all that I have left for sale is the props." I may have misheard. It's definitely something I could as her about, but if she really is selling it all, I would have to act fast. Hence the "RIGHT NOW" aspect of all this. (Of course, if it's already all pre-sold, then I'm just out of luck.)

Yes, there is the "what if" factor, but there is also of the thousands of dollars worth of equipment I would need to obtain (from her or elsewhere). Especially if I am trying to draw referrals from her existing client base. At this very moment, I am simply not prepared to fill that role.

That, and I suck at being a "look before you leap" type of person. This is something I'd thought about before, but never researched. So to have it dropped in my lap (in a matter of speaking), I am now feeling intimidated and overwhelmed by the prospect.

I must also add, that I don't really think that SHE realizes I may be considering this. There was really no time to really think about it, never mind to discuss it, while we were working today. So part of the urgency is that I need to tell her something before it's too late.

TL;DR: I'm tired and don't know what path I should take.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Top Dog

I would not invest thousands of dollar of equipment in something you are not sure you want to do. Are you really interested in doing studio photography? Do you have somewhere to store/set up the equipment? Are you more interested in on location, natural light shooting?

I wouldn't try to "take over" her client base or anything. If you are truly interested in starting a photography business...make yourself some business cards then give her a stack and ask her if she wouldn't mind passing them out to people when they ask for her services, but she is not available.

One thing to think about with a photography business that is great and bad at the same time is the hours that you would be working if you got to the point you had regular business. Actual shooting would mostly involve evenings and weekends. So it is great if your SO works regular weekday hours, so someone is home to take care of the baby, but then it also takes you away from spending those evening/weekend hours with your family. And depending how involved you get, you could be planning them months in advance. It is the number 1 reason why I have not been interested in starting a photography business. I like to spend my evenings and weekends with my family, and I would never want to plan to shoot weddings or events months or a year in advance because who knows when something with my family/friends might come up that I would like to attend. That doesn't even take into account the amount of time you have to spend editing and dealing with the business side of things, creating a website/blog/advertising/marketing/accounting/etc.

It IS overwhelming, so definitely not something I would try to jump into at all.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:31 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoe08 View Post
I would not invest thousands of dollar of equipment in something you are not sure you want to do. Are you really interested in doing studio photography? Do you have somewhere to store/set up the equipment? Are you more interested in on location, natural light shooting?

I wouldn't try to "take over" her client base or anything. If you are truly interested in starting a photography business...make yourself some business cards then give her a stack and ask her if she wouldn't mind passing them out to people when they ask for her services, but she is not available.

One thing to think about with a photography business that is great and bad at the same time is the hours that you would be working if you got to the point you had regular business. Actual shooting would mostly involve evenings and weekends. So it is great if your SO works regular weekday hours, so someone is home to take care of the baby, but then it also takes you away from spending those evening/weekend hours with your family. And depending how involved you get, you could be planning them months in advance. It is the number 1 reason why I have not been interested in starting a photography business. I like to spend my evenings and weekends with my family, and I would never want to plan to shoot weddings or events months or a year in advance because who knows when something with my family/friends might come up that I would like to attend. That doesn't even take into account the amount of time you have to spend editing and dealing with the business side of things, creating a website/blog/advertising/marketing/accounting/etc.

It IS overwhelming, so definitely not something I would try to jump into at all.
Bolded is what I was trying to say I would do regarding the business cards, but failed miserably.

I just woke up from a good, long nap, and I am feeling a little better about this. The part that was upsetting me most, I think, was the thought of getting a sudden influx of requests for photography service while I'm still not prepared for it. And that's just it. I'm not prepared for it. If I decided to jump in right now,

Could it work? It could. My husband works from home, so childcare isn't a major issue. I don't have space for an in-home studio, but I don't mind doing things on-location now and then. Someday, a full studio may be in my future. It is something I am definitely interested it (or I wouldn't have been as torn as I was today), but now just isn't the time.

Also? I already have one photography gig as it is. I shoot for a local high school marching band, capturing their camps and performances. I already know that I enjoy that kind of work. What I need to do FIRST is focus on getting the equipment that will improve what I am doing there, and then look for more work in that genre.

TL;DR: Sleep is good, and it will all be okay.

Thank you, everybody! The support and encouragement has been awesome.