Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Top Dog

Grain free still containing oats is one of the major things I saw when I was looking at grain-free for Zander. Oats and Oatmeal aren't put in the same category as "grains" like corn. One I knew his problem was oatmeal I figured I would just look at grain free. It was really annoying.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Grain free still containing oats is one of the major things I saw when I was looking at grain-free for Zander. Oats and Oatmeal aren't put in the same category as "grains" like corn. One I knew his problem was oatmeal I figured I would just look at grain free. It was really annoying.
Which brands/formulas did you find this in? I'm honestly curious, as in three yeras of working around pet food, I've never seen a food that is labeled as being "grain-free" contain oats or oatmeal. And I'm talking about foods that actually say "grain-free" on the label/package, not just foods that say "Contains no corn, wheat, or soy".
Old 10-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Top Dog

Huh interesting about BB and I can't really say I'm surprised at all. I had a little 5lb bag for my foster of Wilderness Salmon at one point. Did not sit well with him AT ALL. Big mushy, nasty poos.

If I ever get another foster we'll stick to rotating Fromm, Earthborn, and Acana methinks.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaLilBitaLuck View Post
Which brands/formulas did you find this in? I'm honestly curious, as in three yeras of working around pet food, I've never seen a food that is labeled as being "grain-free" contain oats or oatmeal. And I'm talking about foods that actually say "grain-free" on the label/package, not just foods that say "Contains no corn, wheat, or soy".
I'm curious, too because I've NEVER seen a dog food that was labeled grain-free have oats lol. I'm a dog food nerd.

Brit & Jackson

Old 10-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Top Dog

Just looked and can't find any, even those formulas I knew had oats in them, like Wilderness. Definitely could have changed. It's been around 2 years since I found Zander's intolerance to oats, oatmeal, oat flour, etc. Did notice that a lot of grain free formulas are boasting "gluten free" now, though.

Maybe this means I can go back and reconsider some of the grain free formulas I wrote off before.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaLilBitaLuck View Post
Samesies! I've never seen a formula touted as grain-free and contain oats...

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:03 AM
Top Dog

A dog that has the ability to instantly clear the room with its "little bombs" is a common concern of pet parents. The stink will not embarrass the dog but it will certainly embarrass the owner. Diet is the most common cause of flatulence. It is also possible that the dog is gulping its food so that it swallows large amounts of air. However, flatulence can be an indication of a medical condition especially if the dog is showing signs of being in pain. There are some cures for your dog's nasty fart but it would be wise to take the pet to the vet for routine checkup.