Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

LOL once a lady called my work and said she had a "Belgian Shepherd". So I said, "Oh lovely! What variety?" and she goes, "Um... he's BLACK," with an "this girl is an idiot" tone.

Yeah... I'm the dumb one in this conversation. LOL.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:40 PM
I'm All Ears

Well the AKC just calls the groens Belgian Sheepdog.

Speaking of which I have no idea how to pronounce Groenendael.

*I also just wrote 'sheeping of which' instead of 'speaking of which'.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Duuuuude.

True, but Belgian Shepherd (vs Belgian Sheepdog) encompasses all four varieties, to my knowledge.

I usually just see the standard Shepard mix and what not at work. I haven't even seen any Rockwilders! I feel like I'm missing out.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 10-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paviche View Post
True, but Belgian Shepherd (vs Belgian Sheepdog) encompasses all four varieties, to my knowledge.
Yes. And I've never had a reasonably intelligent Belgian owner (even "pet people") not know how to respond to the "What type?" question. They're like, "Oh, a Tervuren! Oh, a Groenendael!" and just really impressed that somebody knew enough to ask. LOL. This lady was like, "What kind of a dumb question is that?"

Old 10-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Top Dog

I know how Dachshund and Rottweiler are pronounced, but I choose to say them Dash hound and Rott wyler. I just prefer my way

My Photos
Old 10-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WelshStump~ View Post
If I remember correctly, according to the Animal planet's presentation of Crufts they said it "Griff-on Broo-sell-wah". And I say it "Boo-vee-A deh Flah-n-drah". And I just say it Mexican "Show-Low", screw the rest, lol.
It's close, but it's not really 'Broo'. I don't think you have the correct 'u' sound in English though.

I'm sure I mispronounce a lot of names wrong... especially with the French accent and all... although Malinois, I know lol.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:42 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I pronounce it Bo-seron. I am probably wrong.
No it's correct.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:27 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27 View Post
It's close, but it's not really 'Broo'. I don't think you have the correct 'u' sound in English though.

I'm sure I mispronounce a lot of names wrong... especially with the French accent and all... although Malinois, I know lol.
Probably not, the announcers on AP were two from the UK, and one random person flown in from the US, actually I believe the one does still does the Crufts online presentation? And AP is notorious for screwing up breed names anyway!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Speaking of which I have no idea how to pronounce Groenendael.
I would like to know the proper way to pronounce Groenendael also. I think I have it right, but I don't want to butcher it in front of Belgian people, so I call them Belgian Sheepdogs in real life just in case. Eventhough I prefer Groenendael. Sheepdog is just... boring, I guess. I mean, you have Malinois, Tervuren and Laekenois, and then just 'sheepdog'? I'd rather use the fancier, nicer name, lol.

People butcher my dogs' breed names all the time. Dance is always a Duck Troller, Dock Troller or Dock Taller, haha. I don't really expect people to know what she is, let alone pronounce it, as the general public probably is not a dog breed encylcopedia like I am, but it's funny to hear them try to pronounce things. Especially when the actual name just rolls of the tongue so much more easily than the name they think it is. People who own Tollers that they actually sought out don't seem to mispronounce the name, but people who think they own Tollers (and don't actually - usually their dogs look like Aussie mixes) often butcher the name with the variations above.

My biggest peeve with the Dobermans is when people simply call them 'pinschers'. It just sounds odd and wrong to me. Some people really emphasize DoberMAN, too. Sometimes I hear DoberMAN Pincer, haha. Or Dovermin. Or Dobby. These all happen among people who actually own the breed. I don't get it.

When I had Dachshunds I hated the term 'weiner dog' and "dash hound" and "Datsun". I called them weiner dogs when I was really young too, but outgrew it pretty quick and called them their actual breed name.

And with the Rottweilers I remember people telling me about their $200 pound Rockwhalers and Rockwilders. You still often see 'Rockwilder' all over kijiji and other ads.

Speaking of mispronounciations, everytime I see Dalmatian spelled wrong (with an 'ion' rather than the proper 'ian'), my brain actually pronounces it as DalmatiON in my head. It's weird and annoying.

One of my favourite names to say is Coton de Tulear. I tried hard to learn it and while I don't have a fancy french accent to go along with it, I do a pretty good job. Beauceron is fun too. And so is Xoloitzcuintli. I'm such a dog nerd.

Ripley
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FDCh-G
Keira CGN
Old 10-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahHound View Post
I know how Dachshund and Rottweiler are pronounced, but I choose to say them Dash hound and Rott wyler. I just prefer my way
Here, I have never heard ANYONE pronounce Rottweiler any other way, and I consider that a completely correct pronunciation. IMO it's the difference between saying it in German and saying it in English. I've heard a rare few people say weimaraner how it's actually pronounced, but never anyone say rottweiler the "German" way.

I mean Dachshund is pretty much pronounced like it's spelled in English and German. I've never heard anyone say Dash-hound...I hear either the correct way, Datsun (courtesy of my mother) or Dahsh-hund. A lot of people here call them "hot dogs" and don't actually know there's another name from them.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com