Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Have you considered that Alaskan Noble Companion dog breed?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Kung Pow Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Have you considered that Alaskan Noble Companion dog breed?
Never heard of it. Got a link?
Did some googling. Do you know if they come in a longhaired variety?
Old 10-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfell View Post
It's a new designer mutt that looks like a wolf but supposedly doesn't have wolf in it. Google should pull up a few websites.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Did some googling. Do you know if they come in a longhaired variety?
We have a Chaz member who owns one and could help out. They seem like a great fit for someone wanting the look but a more family/casual sporting appropriate temperament. I really like their look and plan to watch them as a someday maybe breed.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
Depending on your understanding and definition of human aggression, a German Shepherd Dog may not be for you. GSDs are absolutely an aggressive breed, but aggression typically carries a more negative connotation and has been portrayed as a negative breed trait more often than not. If you want a dog without an aggressive bone in his body, then I strongly recommend you steer clear of the breed.
Indeed. Even though she is half husky Lily is deadly serious about my safety. In bitework she'll play the game with the equipment, but if she could get in a dirty bite she wouldn't hesitate. She's only ever alerted on ONE person and that person is now in federal prison. She's very social and goes everywhere with me, but she is half GSD and will do her job if she has to.
Scout isn't as vigilant, but she is so much fun to do bitework with. We have a lot of fun with that. And its done more than anything else to mentally give her a "job" and good outlet for her drives, which helps her relax and enjoy life. Again very social girl and goes everywhere with me. Glad you caught this Equinox, I'd missed it!

Quote:
I have often seen dangerous behaviors come as a result of a poor management and understanding of the breedís innate instincts and drives, so I think this could go either way. Is a Shepherd capable of exhibiting dangerous behaviors? Absolutely. Is it preventable or manageable in a mature, well bred dog of solid nerve? In my opinion, yes, though this will depend on the individual dog.
Yes this is a biggie! My dog Scout had all kinds of undesirable behaviors in her previous home, despite that home being more ideal on paper than I was at that time, and whattaya know those magically went away when I took her. If the dog is smarter than the people who own it (and this breed IS a thinking dog with lots of drive that needs a "job" of some sort) and has no outlet for its natural drive, all sorts of problem behaviors can surface in the hands of an owner not suited to or experienced with the breed. Ditto for Sibes/Mals too actually.

Quote:
Itís very interesting Ė and unfortunate Ė that this has been your experience with the breed. I can easily say that my own has been the very opposite, and Iíve met a wide range of German Shepherds from all types of breedings. I do not deny at all that the breed has many issues as a whole, but in person, all the German Shepherds I have met have been stable, self possessed, and enjoyable to be around.
Agreed. Even the gawd knows what kind of showline girl I had the pleasure to visit with when I volunteered at the shelter (probably a byb dog) was a great girl. Yeah there are problems with poorly bred dogs in the breed, but there are in any popular breed.

Quote:
Excellent point, monkeys! I would be more than happy to provide examples of how the way a dog is stacked can affect the overall appearance to those not familiar with the breed, and/or assessing conformation and structure.
Thanks! Thats not a bad idea, i think you should put up some examples!

Quote:
I am such a fan of American/German showline crosses! My neighborís German Shepherd is a lovely, balanced, American x German showline dog of excellent conformation and temperament. There is also a breeder in Oregon who has stunning German/American dogs (in appearance, at the very least Ė I have not had the fortune to meet any in person yet).

http://www.fairwayshepherds.com/
I had no idea how nice they could be! I've never really been a fan of showline dogs, but man that girl really impressed me in person!

I think I've heard of Fairway before. Looks like they are very active with their dogs and have a nice program.

Quote:
There is a woman on the German Shepherd forum I frequent who has a Zeder Kamme dog. I hear the breeder is a lovely lady to talk to, and that she has gorgeous dogs. The woman on the forumís pup will be a year soon and he is just gorgeous, although he has a possibly neurological medical issue affecting his back legs primarily. I forgot his breeding, but his temperament is just stellar and he is excelling in bitework.
Sucks that stuff pops up sometimes even with health testing. I think I've seen pics of him... I lurk there, lol. I've really enjoyed all her dogs that I've met. They certainly aren't ornamental lol... pretty zesty and fun.

Quote:
A quick comment on vom Banach Ė I love the dogs and lines she breeds and works with, but youíll have to be very, very clear about the type of dog you want and the type of dog you are willing to handle. She produces dogs of varying drives, thresholds, and temperaments and sometimes will match a dog that is too much for the owner/handler.

This goes for MANY other breeders, so this is also general advice for when someoneís talking to breeders and choosing between litters and kennels.
Indeed, its always good to be more clear than you think you need to be when talking to breeders and looking for a pup/dog. I was going to visit her kennel one of the times i went to see my bro in Seattle a several years back, but a phone tag issue thwarted it. Maybe someday!

Quote:
Not that they are easier to raise or are lower in drive, but I know more working lines to be confrontational (and often subtly so, which can be more difficult) than show lines.
Very good point and very true!

Quote:
Thank you! Iím very happy with the dog I got from Ray, and feel so thrilled to have Trent as a part of my life each and every day. He is a great dog with the right personality for all the right moments, and just the drive and intuition I want in a dog.

Trentís breeder actually has working lines and show lines at his kennel, I donít think he is particular about type so long as the dog is a good working dog. I think currently he has a show line male standing stud at his kennel, and a show line bitch. Iíve been just as impressed with the show lines and show/working lines he breeds, as I have been with the working lines.
Your welcome! Ray sure does a really nice job with his dogs. I like that he holds true to the well as long as its the entire GSD package we're good to go! I sure love how versatile they are in everything.

Also I'd like to add that my 75% GSD dog is okay if something comes up and we don't get a good run in on top of regular walks and training, but the 50/50 Sibe/GSD one starts chasing her tail and having spastic husky zoomies around the house if she doesn't get her required mileage. The huskies, they must has the running.

Lily also in a vain attempt to keep working at our private lesson kept jumping on top of the kennel instead of going into it. It was hilarious, well to me anyway. I trade off between each of them in our lessons, so they both get worked. Same day Scout had a rapid fire Shepherd barking fit in the kennel because she wanted to get out and work, but it was currently Lily's turn. Again it cracked me up because I like my girls' drive to do stuff, but if that would annoy you stay away from GSD's.

A purebred Sibe or Mal would probably go "Oh look at the kitty!" and pay no attention. Or "SQUIRREL!!!!"
Old 10-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Offensive or not, its MY BLOODY OPINION. I specifically said " I find _____ ugly" and "_____ is acceptable to me". And my opinion is not uneducated, unless of course talking to GSD owners and breeders and doing research for the last year and a half counts as "uneducated" -eye roll- I refuse to own a dog that I find hideous, regardless of whether someone else likes that look or not. Im not them. Im not you. So you think the show line dogs can be beautiful, fine, wonderful, good for you. I dont share that opinion. And I wont apologize for it. Having preferences isnt hurting anything

And those same GSD owners, two of which know me extremely well and know the kind of dog Im looking for, have told ME that working line/ddr shepherds are going to be TOO MUCH DOG FOR ME. I trust their judgement, hence, being stuck in bind as far as GSD goes. I hate the show line look, the working line temperament hates me.

So unless theres a magical in-between solution to that, Im afraid I just cannot seriously consider the GSD for myself.
Honestly... I keep going back to maybe you should stay with bullies. Also, its nice to be nice to people who are taking the time to help you. Well okay we're going it for the dogs we love too.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
We have a Chaz member who owns one and could help out. They seem like a great fit for someone wanting the look but a more family/casual sporting appropriate temperament. I really like their look and plan to watch them as a someday maybe breed.
True. I have a hard time with people breeding for that look on purpose. I mean I have a hard enough time worrying about covering the sable dogs in orange so they don't get shot already and to make a mutt mix that looks more wolfy just seems really nonsensical to me. Call me crazy, but I already got enough ignorant people shouting wolf at my dogs. *shrug*
Old 10-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Kung Pow Fish

I am staying with the bullies. Like I said, Im not "switching breeds". I just want ONE fluffy fun sport thing I can do stuff with, something for me, not for breeding, not for the breeds future, but for me.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
True. I have a hard time with people breeding for that look on purpose. I mean I have a hard enough time worrying about covering the sable dogs in orange so they don't get shot already and to make a mutt mix that looks more wolfy just seems really nonsensical to me. Call me crazy, but I already got enough ignorant people shouting wolf at my dogs. *shrug*
Meh, people shout pony and anteater at mine. I have seen longer coated dogs from ANCD lines, it's not a look I personally care for but it exists. The problem Frostfell will run into with ANCDs again is they're on the higher end of the size spectrum (70 lbs.+)

Here Frostfell:

http://www.berger-blanc-international.com/

from the top of page 6 of the standard PDF download
Quote:
Weight: Males: ca. 30 - 40 kgs. Females: ca. 25 - 35 kgs. Typical dogs slightly under- or oversized should not be disqualifyed.

So fluffay!

One of our members imported a berger blanc suisse puppy and has an adult white GSD that is her working SD. Maybe if she sees this she'll give some input.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
To each their own, honestly, but I see a desire for it and I understand it. I love the look but I have no desire for the temperament commonly associated with such breeds.