Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
They are doing some VERY cool stuff with her.
Thats awesome!
Old 10-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Top Dog

So...what's the incentive for the owner with the "change of heart" to honor the contract and give back the dog (thus forfeiting $1000+)? The majority of people in the world aren't chazzers and see dogs as an object, so I can see why they'd want to get money for the dog if they thought they could.

I mean, I see it on Craigslist ALL. THE. TIME. "Paid $500 for the dog 2 months ago, just looking to recoup my costs", etc. Not right, I don't like it, but I see where they're coming from and it would be hard to convince someone that the better option is to give the dog up for free if they have someone offering them $500 for the critter.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Top Dog

I think if someone was not wanting the puppy within the first couple months, I'd probably go ahead and give them at least a partial refund. Hopefully, the money hasn't all been spent at that point, and the pup could probably be sold on again, though likely at a lesser cost. (and the new owners would have to be informed that they weren't the first home for the pup)
Old 10-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
So...what's the incentive for the owner with the "change of heart" to honor the contract and give back the dog (thus forfeiting $1000+)? The majority of people in the world aren't chazzers and see dogs as an object, so I can see why they'd want to get money for the dog if they thought they could.

I mean, I see it on Craigslist ALL. THE. TIME. "Paid $500 for the dog 2 months ago, just looking to recoup my costs", etc. Not right, I don't like it, but I see where they're coming from and it would be hard to convince someone that the better option is to give the dog up for free if they have someone offering them $500 for the critter.
I suppose a good relationship and or a legally binding contract.

Like I said I can sell my Malinois, I have no contract, but it is considered customary to contact the breeder and discuss the issues at hand.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Mutts to you

Thank you for all of your responses.

Found out some more info, the breeder is aware and is helping the family with rehoming/selling; ie, contacting people on her email list (she's also a trainer) and setting up interviews with interested parties. She's also offering a free obedience session for whoever buys the dog.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey