Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-15-2012, 07:56 AM
Top Dog

A couple real quick videos to show Savvy's progress

A couple running contact shots, jumping extended/wrapping and weaves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erwsg...0MS1xxYuXo35nA

More Running Contacts....some of his hits are getting really good now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pszwz...0MS1xxYuXo35nA
Old 10-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
A couple real quick videos to show Savvy's progress

A couple running contact shots, jumping extended/wrapping and weaves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erwsg...0MS1xxYuXo35nA

More Running Contacts....some of his hits are getting really good now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pszwz...0MS1xxYuXo35nA
His contacts are coming along great!!! And I love how responsive he is with the wraps, nice!
Old 10-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Top Dog

Savvy is looking awesome!!!

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 10-16-2012, 07:22 AM
Top Dog

Thanks! I'm really happy with his progress. And I guess I have a little brag on him

When I went to the UBSDA (UKC Belgian National) I entered him in agility. 2 Qs, 2 placements and 2 AG1 legs! And...he also got a Total Dog Award for winning over competition in breed and qualifying in agility. It was his first real trial, far from home and outdoors in a sheep pasture. Not clean runs but really nice for such a young boy dog Because of showing Whim in breed and agility too, I had all kinds of conflicts with him and he pretty much had to be out all day, going between rings with me, being passed off to other people to be held, etc. By time his last run came, he was hot and tired (we'd already been at the show 2 days prior...12+ hours each day) but he was more than willing to run again. What a good scruffy muppet he is! Next up for him is CPE games in January.

Me and Savvy with all his ribbons

Not sure why this is so big :/
Old 10-16-2012, 06:38 PM
I'm All Ears

Savvy is such an awesome guy.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:00 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Took Webby and Mira and Cookie out to the club land for a training meetup last night. With all my travel I haven't been able to do much of that lately so it was nice.

Webby was just...I don't even know what to say. He is just amazing me lately. He was happy and crazy and running his little heart out.

And Mira...let's just say she was glad to be back lol. And she really loves running in the cool and on the nice grippy grass SO much better than on mats. Girl was flying yet staying very tuned in. We're coming together bit by bit and gosh I look forward to the day we really hit our stride

But Cookie. Oh my. This was her first time out on the equipment in which I was actually asking her to do anything instead of just playing focus games and getting her used to being around the hubbub. Showed her a tunnel and a minute later she was racing back and forth through it (it was only about 4' long). Then for a quick break I grabbed a set of 2x2s and just rewarded her from chosing the path between the poles. She'd never interacted with either a tunnel or weaves before so I was focusing on attitude as much as anything else. Walked back over to the tunnel and she darted ahead and through it and so we did that a few more times then called it quits.

Tonight I took her out to the barn with me and thought you know I should probably show her the weaves for real instead of just the quick little break crashcourse...give her a couple minutes with just them to focus on. So we walked out to the field and I set up two poles and then walked away about ten feet while I fished out treats so I was set to reward quickly and as I reached into my pocket MacNut looked at me, looked at the weaves, and ran over and between them then whirled around all "LOOK WHAT I DID!!!" and I was so surprised that she had any idea what to do with them that I just threw a great big party and then she was so excited she had to zoom a circle before bounding through them again lol.

Baby stuff I know but it was just so funny, and I was so really surprised that she managed to understand, remember, and generalize enough to pull off a full offered weave entry with no help or shaping or anything in a totally different setting then her whirlwind quasi-introduction.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 10-18-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm All Ears

Training tonight was... interesting. Overall I think we're doing well. Lots of working on distance and wrapping the jump tonight.

Summer bailed the a-frame at full height. We weren't even working on it at the time, she went blaring off and took it. I should not have done anything but I called her and she spun around at the top and bailed the side to go to me. She seems fine now. I think everyone in class almost had a heart attack. Every single person took in a very sharp breath. She ran the rest of the night fine.

Point #2- Summer has become the fastest dog in class. Easily. It amazes me. Thoroughly amazing that she's geared it up even faster than Mia. Her stamina isn't as good as Mia's, especially in the heat. But she's so much faster than at my old trainers'! It makes me happy because she's having the best time of any dog there but on the other hand, I am very sad we wasted her best years poking around with the wrong kind of training.

We're having issues with her continuing on without me or going and doing whatever she feels like. Tonight I was mortified not only by the a-frame bail but also because she ran to the sidelines AGAIN in the middle of an exercise and jumped on a person AGAIN. And this time it was this very timid lady. And it wasn't her arms, it was ON HER HEAD. She jumped on the lady's head then ran back to me for a treat. Ugh... I about died. Apologized profusely. I can tell with Summer she is not just running over to say hi, she is treating it like an obstacle or behavior that I'd want. Of course I don't want that.

Other interesting things she decided to do: Go through the side of the jump. Jump back and forth across the jump. Run around things in circles. Go stand on that thing over there. Go touch that thing over there. Jump in the air. How about spin?

I am noticing it's whenever I confuse her about where I'm sending her.

When she's on, she's really really amazing. She's on most the time. It's just that she gets these ideas every few runs that make me go 'wtf?'

Mia was pretty boring tonight. Good but nothing really stuck out. She's doing well though.

Last edited by Laurelin; 10-18-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:52 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Laurelin, your dogs sound like way too much fun. So glad Summer is having a blast haha. She may just have matured into it, and having seen Mia running with you all excited may have increased her interest too.

That said I'm glad Summer's okay. Hopefully she's not sore tomorrow. And I hope that woman doesn't have nightmares about a little blur landing on her head while she sleeps...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
Old 10-18-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm All Ears

Your dogs sound like a blast themselves. There's something to really be said about a dog that wants to work with you and is fearless when it comes to new obstacles. I think it's because we've done so much shaping that everything they come across, they think they need to interact with it. I was thinking on the way home that Summer does not fit 99% of peoples' idea of a trained dog. Haha oh well. I love it.

"She may have matured into it'- isn't that backwards? lol

I feel bad for the lady she jumped on. She's a very timid person, and very very afraid of her dog messing up. I think she's loosening up some though.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:13 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Your dogs sound like a blast themselves. There's something to really be said about a dog that wants to work with you and is fearless when it comes to new obstacles. I think it's because we've done so much shaping that everything they come across, they think they need to interact with it. I was thinking on the way home that Summer does not fit 99% of peoples' idea of a trained dog. Haha oh well. I love it.

"She may have matured into it'- isn't that backwards? lol

I feel bad for the lady she jumped on. She's a very timid person, and very very afraid of her dog messing up. I think she's loosening up some though.
So true. And hey ask Webster about that whole maturing into it thing. This is the dog I retired because he was so worried in the ring. And now he's making a liar out of me. Remember I moved again in there...people here didn't know the old Webster...just saw him around and knew I didn't run him at trials...he just hung out ringside with us...now every time it's all "OH RIGHT SURE this dog doesn't like agility OKAY uhhuh sure sure *coughcoughBScough*"

And Summer was just trying to help the poor lady loosen up. Hair first.