Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Top Dog

I've tried dehydrated chicken breast before, and it was a no, dehydrated sweet potato is a no but dehydrated liver was okay. Right now with the XL beef scare, I'll have to wait until my local butcher is open to get my hands on some liver. I've never dehydrated meat on my own before-- sounds...stinky. LOL

We did a taste test with the tuna loaf an so far so good so we will try that tomorrow. I'll also pick up some meatballs just in case.

Keep up the ideas though folks! I suspect we will need an arsenal!
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I find using a mixed bag of different treats works better than one kind no matter what I have in the mix.
Unless your mixed bag includes both meat and animal crackers. Then you just have a gross gummy mess. Ask me how I know!

Other things I've seen used/used myself: cheese balls (the human chip kind, like Cheetos), pieces of egg, pieces of bacon. Meg's special agility trial treat that she goes gaga over is Nutter Butters.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Top Dog

Hmmm I don't think we have nutter butters here but I wonder if I could make a peanut butter ball type cookie that's easy to throw in a treat bag? Googling recipes now!

Also, for anyone else interested, the Tuna loaf was the easiest thing in the world to make. A can of tuna, an egg, some whole wheat flour and some flaxseed oil. Mix it together and microwave for 6 minutes at 2 minute intervals. Easy peasy!
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Old 10-14-2012, 09:20 PM
Top Dog

For really high-value treats, in high-distraction environments (training class, pet stores, etc) we use hot dogs, string cheese, or plain chicken strips. We've used lunch meat cuts before, but he's not as crazy about those.

I definitely advise getting a mixed bag of treats - cut up a bunch of different things and mix them together. Although I will second that mixing hard treats and soft treats just turns into a mess! I usually cube up hot dogs, cheese, and chicken, and freeze them before I use them so they're not so mushy.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:25 PM
orange iguanas.

Tuna fudge is good. As is baked liver sprinkled with garlic powder, or lamb meatballs. In Juno's opinion, anyway

As far as commercial treats go I love love love using Natural Balance food rolls.

Luckily though I have a dog that gets excited about any sort of food.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-14-2012, 09:25 PM
Top Dog

Good tip! I'll throw the tuna bits in the freezer tomorrow before class.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Top Dog

Well the Tuna treats worked really well, despite that during our "watch me" exercise I realized Obi's pupils were uneven. Sigh. Unexplained Anterior uveitis and pain on the left side of his face/head. Go figure.