Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Top Dog

Actually I think a lot of the issues aren't things I ever see in the media...I honestly can hardly even think of a movie about a mixed race family except the one with Sandra Bullock as the football mom. I'm just talking about what I see day-to-day, with the kids I've worked with, in school, in psych and sociology and minority studies classes, etc.

I'm not saying a kid in a mixed race family is automatically going to feel out of place or uncomfortable all the time if the family isn't well-versed in dealing with those issues (although as far as I know it's not very uncommon at all), but issues WILL arise at some point and not every family will be prepared to deal with that. And I think it's pretty safe to say that children who have access to adult role models who have been in similar situations and who are frequently exposed to an array of cultures and heritages (both the one they were born into, the one they grew up with, and others) are going to be more well-equipt to deal with those issues than a minority kid who's shoved into white privilege and left to navigate it all on their own.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com