Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2012, 09:57 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
=D =D =D =D =D =D
We will see, but I am almost betting on it. lol

Quote:
As far as "real" agility dogs go, I've never heard negative things about shelties specifically, but there is definitely a BORDER COLLIES ARE THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS around. I sadly know many people who started agility with their pet of whatever breed, got The Bug, and decided they HAD to have a border collie for their next dog in order to be competitive. Trouble is they apparently forget how much time of your lives together you spend NOT competing with your dog, and often they end up waaaaay over their heads with a dog that is not the right match for them. I don't seem to see this happen with shelties... it seems usually the singular "real" agility breed is the BC.
That's really... odd. Considering the worlds teams are usually really sheltie heavy. This year there's 4 BCs and 7 shelties.

Quote:
In AKC, most shelties do run either 12" or 16". The smaller BCs run 16" in AKC, and that is why people like smaller shelties who can run 12"; it takes the BCs out of the competition. A few VERY small shelties are in the 8" and I know of some people who are purposely breeding for teeny tiny shelties (ugh) to get into the 8" where your competition is fairly limited, just based on the numbers game. 8" is typically a relatively small class entries-wise. It's kinda gross.
Yeah that's... ugh. They should just get papillons if they want to stay under 11". I've seen a few of these teeny shelties around at shows lately. Are there very many BCs that run 16"? That's really tiny.

Quote:
That said Pay is going to be a 16" and so will Pepper should she ever trial, and I'm not worried about it. Placings don't matter anymore since the multipliers for points went away, so I don't care. Besides, Auggie's brother has knocked out many firsts in 16", even down in Louisville with a bajillion BCs and many other fast shelties present. Have a good dog, train well, run well, and you will do well.
Easier said than done, but that is the goal.