Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Top Dog

Default Rabies question?

This has been bugging me since I read it so have to ask.

I have seen several times were a dog bit a vet employee or a person out in the public with no documented rabies shot and the dog was just kept in querentine ten days.

Someone on a horse forum who works at a a vet clinic go bit and said police were involved and they removed the head, it was gory, and they tested themselves. Ummm. Ok. Owners were upset. No mention of dog foaming at the mouth or anything.

doesn't a state lab do the testing.

So I your dog bit someone at a vets office and was a day overdue for rabies. . . Off with his head? I know this is not my vets policy. I wonder now if I foster again I should call ahead first!

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 10-13-2012, 10:11 AM
treehugging clicker freak

This has always been almost like a "threat" / warning to me. My two are on a limited vaccination protocol, no problems. Except for that rabies - as required by law. I'm frustrated, I think its overkill, Maddie has had it on time every single time and she's 10 now, I really don't think its necessary. Most likely (fingers crossed) she won't need any other vaccinations for the rest of her life. But I still take her out in public and such, so I was warned that if she bit somebody that could happen to her.

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 10-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Resident fainting goat

Rabies law and boston dog registration tags are TOUGH around here.
If your dog has no rabies shot/an expired tag and bites someone.. you are looking at quarantine.

BUT no way does the vet do it! The dog is impounded at animal control..where she/he is quarantined and, if necessary, off with the head testing takes place.

I didn't even think vets were allowed to do that kind of thing without a/c getting involved.

I am on limited vax protocol with the animals.. but we do rabies on time like clockwork, the risk is just too great. My heart couldn't even deal with the quarantine.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:17 AM
overdogged

Depends where you live and on the people involved, mostly.

A dog cannot transmit rabies more than ten days before the rabies virus kills the dog. After it gets into the salivary glands, I guess, it's curtains within that specific timeframe. But then if the dog does die and it does turn out to be rabid, the person who was bitten is x number of days into their own infection with a generally incurable disease.

But really, how often does that happen?

It seems very odd to me that police would get involved with a bite that happened to a vet tech, unless it happened outside of the clinic or unless, for example, it happened while the dog was being put to sleep. Bites in a vet clinic are generally considered "provoked" just by the dog being in the vet clinic.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Squishy face

According to the CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/location/u...e/index.html):

Quote:
In this century, the number of human deaths in the United States attributed to rabies has declined from 100 or more each year to an average of 2 or 3 each year. Two programs have been responsible for this decline. First, animal control and vaccination programs begun in the 1940's and oral rabies vaccination programs in the 2000's have eliminated domestic dogs as reservoirs of rabies in the United States. Second, effective human rabies vaccines and immunoglobulins have been developed.
Rabies in dogs and cats is extremely rare because of our extensive vaccination protocols. Yes I agree that once a year vaccs are too much (in my area we are required to get vaccs every three years), but in our wildlife population there is a very HIGH incidence of rabies, especially in raccoons, foxes and bats. Stop vaccinating pet cats and dogs, rabies will resurface in our pet population.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 10-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I am on limited vax protocol with the animals.. but we do rabies on time like clockwork, the risk is just too great. My heart couldn't even deal with the quarantine.
Same here. It is the one I won't skip/titer. In our area, titers are generally allowed even for rabies, but I travel so much, I don't want to risk being somewhere else and having something happen.

When I was an animal control officer, the deal if a dog broke skin without a current rabies was 10 days of quarantine assuming there were no obvious signs that the dog was sick. If the owners were clearly very responsible, an in-home quarantine was permitted (dog does not leave your property, dog only steps outside on leash for potty breaks). More often than not, the dog was sent to the kennel we had a contract with for that time frame.

No dog was euthanized for it without showing signs of illness (which never happened in my 2 years of work).

Old 10-13-2012, 12:18 PM
*Now with Snark*

Sending dogs/cats in for rabies testing is my Dad's job with the health dept actually and he actually does use a vet for euthanizing and then removing the dog/cat head. The rules for this being required does vary state to state - and sometimes even county to county.

Dogs are pretty uncommon to send in but feral cats and pigs among domestics tend to be way more common. Wildlife that is pretty frequent are bats and raccoons but he has sent in deer that just didn't seem right.

Much on how a dog could end up getting it's head removed could be from other factors like:
Behavior changes in the dog
Is the dog sick
Has the dog ever had a rabies shot
Is the dog exposed to wildlife frequently
Is the owner sketchy
Can the county or owner afford quarantine costs
Old 10-13-2012, 03:51 PM
overdogged

Man, I saw a really really good map not too long ago that tracked both number of animals tested and number of positives in the US in... 2010? 2011? I'll have to see if I can dig it up.
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-13-2012, 04:04 PM
overdogged

Map from 2010. Love the cluster of rabid cats in Pennsylvania, where I live
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Top Dog

Yeah, I never heard of a dog being torn out of an owners arms showing no symptoms and being killed for testing. Especially for a bite in a clinic. It happens. You go to a clinic cuz your due for rabies shot.

I know we took care of my cousins goats years ago and a fox was in he barn almost dead. Because they boarder the park the ranger came and later we found out it had rabies.

I do rabies because I never want to worry about it if someone comes knocking. I know the next county over they do check.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber