Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Resident fainting goat

As for cursing in general (A habit I had to stop because I work around kids a lot) replacing it with similar sounding words worked for me.

I say "Holy Hufflepuff" and "Oh my golly g goodness" and "Son of a biscuit!"
at first, it seems odd.. but honestly, they are so much more fun to say lol now I barely think about their original terms.

It's also contagious.. my older brother said Holy hufflepuff the other day and was like WTF?! DAMMIT FRAN!! LOL
Old 10-13-2012, 08:55 AM
MyHorseMyRules

Back in my church-going days... Every time I would cuss or take God's name in vain, I would stop and say a short prayer. It doesn't sound like much but, by making a conscious effort every time you say a word like that, it makes you much more mindful of what comes out of your mouth. Didn't take me long to stop. Also, like the others said, find something to replace it with.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Top Dog

I'm not Christian, but I try not to say God's name in vain anyway, because I know it can be offensive to those who are religious and I just don't like saying it.

What I try to do is stop and repeat the entire thing I've just said, replacing whatever I shouldn't have said with what I should have said. It does make me more aware of the language I'm using, but it is also a lot of work to keep on top of. It's a work-in-progress.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Professional Nerd

I wouldn't label myself a Christian, but I've been trying to clean up my mouth now that we have a child. Overall the project has gone well by replacing words that sound similar, just as "Cheese and Rice" and "Omigourd." That latter even shortens to OMG FTW.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Mutts to you

I've never really cussed, since I tend to offend myself when I do but I was guilty of OMGs. I do say a lot of 'good griefs' or 'oh, for pete's sake!' and, under duress, will throw in 'Lord, have mercy!" because then I don't feel I'm taking His name in vain and I AM asking for help/patience...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 10-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Top Dog

I used to NEVER curse, but I have a new roommate now who curses ALL THE TIME. Seriously, it's a bit rediculous. And it is contagious.... I catch myself cursing now and it's kind of annoying.

I guess my only advice is to try to do what you can to avoid listening to a lot of cursing. I don't like movies and TV shows with a lot of bad language (I rarely watch R-rated movies), pay attention to what kind of music you're listening to, etc.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

I recently found myself saying mferr when i was mad. Made the change to Jesus Christ so if the kid mimiced me at least it wasn't mf.