Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Default Smelly poop and nasty farts

One thing I've noticed with Joey ever since day one, he has really smelly poops and he farts periodically throughout the day and it seriously stinks.

I want to ask my vet about it at his next appointment. He has been dewormed though I'd like to take in another stool sample to make sure there's nothing else abnormal.

Is there anything I can give him to help with his smelly butt? Someone mentioned to me to look into charcoal treats? He's currently eating Blue Buffalo Chicken and Brown Rice. I'd rather not change his food if I don't have to since I don't want to be feeding the dogs three separate types of food if I can avoid it.

The people I got him from said that he has always been flatulent and his stools have always smelled pretty bad no matter what kind of food he's been on.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 10-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I would definitely try some probiotics, he may not be digesting the food properly. I use Gentle Digest when Frodo gets a case of the bad craps and it usually clears it right up.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 10-10-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I would definitely try some probiotics, he may not be digesting the food properly. I use Gentle Digest when Frodo gets a case of the bad craps and it usually clears it right up.
I've been adding a little fat free plain yogurt to his food the past few days to see if it helps.

Can I find the gentle digest at a petsmart or petco or should I see if Amazon carries it?
Old 10-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Top Dog

I know you don't want to change food, totally don't blame you, and it may not help anyways... but BB in particular I read about a LOT of gassy/GI problems on. It's one of those foods where I see the issue come up a lot. Obviously every food is going to have complaints, but yeah, for some reason it seems BB causes a lot of gassy type issues (my vet told me she sees the same thing with dogs fed BB).

Jackson is a dog who *never* gets gas and OMG his farts were sooo bad when he ate BB Wilderness for, like, a week.

Otherwise, I'd definitely try a probiotic... I was considering getting one for Jackson's semi-soft stool (but it's not that bad, and not too stinky, and also no gas) but lately it's been hard again soooo yeah, ha, but can't hurt to try!

Old 10-11-2012, 12:19 AM
Top Dog

NaturVet has a formula that is Digestive enzymes AND probiotics, it's cheapest on Amazon I think. My vet recommended it for Fleetwood.

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 10-11-2012, 12:29 AM
orange iguanas.

I don't think it's going to help the smelly poops, but Juno used to have chronic loose stools and room clearing gas, and putting her on Prozyme (digestive enzyme) totally cleared it up. Like, it was noticeable when I ran out and didn't have time to go buy more. That ones not usually locally accessible though.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-12-2012, 01:47 PM

I'm trying a little raw goats milk mixed in with his food in addition to Wholistic digest-all plus. The store I went to the guy was telling me they have had people rave about the digest all-plus. He also said that he really thinks it's the BB and that it's probably not a good match for Joey's stomach. He thinks I should stick with limited ingredients and grain free for him and gave me some samples.

One of the food samples he gave me was Zignature limited ingredients (lamb formula). Has anyone heard of this brand?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Zignature is made in Minnesota and I know we are supposed to be getting it in soon here. Ingredient panel looks good to me, but I honestly don't know much about the company.

Also I think it's funny that Brittany said that about Blue Buffalo being notorious for causing gas, loose stool, etc. because since then we've had 4 customers in who said the same thing about Blue Buffalo!

And my coworker who used to work at a boarding kennel said the same thing about all the dogs who came in on Blue Buffalo!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 10-15-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Zignature is made in Minnesota and I know we are supposed to be getting it in soon here. Ingredient panel looks good to me, but I honestly don't know much about the company.

Also I think it's funny that Brittany said that about Blue Buffalo being notorious for causing gas, loose stool, etc. because since then we've had 4 customers in who said the same thing about Blue Buffalo!

And my coworker who used to work at a boarding kennel said the same thing about all the dogs who came in on Blue Buffalo!
Ya I'm definitely interested in reading more about the brand. Honestly if I could find a brand that is comparable to blue buffalo pricewise that all three dogs could do well on I would be more willing to switch food even though its annoying to switch again. I know Cricket has her allergies so we stay away from poultry products for her.

Once we get into our own house and can get a chest freezer I'm going back to raw. Sooo much easier to just feed raw as long as I can buy in bulk. By easier I mean easier to know exactly what my dogs are eating.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Top Dog

I've been telling people BB is crap for years. You learn interesting things when your mom works for the company.

I'm on my phone now so I can't elaborate too much but I'll come back and explain their issues and what I commonly see.