Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Fishies!

9:35

The dry season is over. 83 of the last 84 days saw no rainfall.

http://www.brucesussman.com/portland...d-dry-stretch/
Old 10-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Top Dog

Yep Psy...you guys get that Pacific weather pretty much like we do, right? Or does Puget sound and the Olympics which create a rain shadow make a big difference?

Romy...you are sounding very domestic. I am like that too, but don't grind corn. The wood stove sounds very cozy and nice. I miss having a fireplace or stove like that. That may have to change one of these years. When it gets stormy, wet and cold, I get that home made soup making urge. It is so pleasant to cook up something nutritious and tasty when it's all yucky outside. So, I guess that's one redeeming trait about Seattle area weather in the winter.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Fishies!

Mostly the same. We're inland, hemmed in by rivers instead of a sound, so we have less fog and a bit more daily temperature range. During the winter we can hit 20f or below when continental air comes through the Columbia River Gorge.

We don't have a rainshadow of any significance so we don't get lucky dry days during a storm. Now, we're not as bad as Olympia at least.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
Mostly the same. We're inland, hemmed in by rivers instead of a sound, so we have less fog and a bit more daily temperature range. During the winter we can hit 20f or below when continental air comes through the Columbia River Gorge.

We don't have a rainshadow of any significance so we don't get lucky dry days during a storm. Now, we're not as bad as Olympia at least.
Wow! 20 below?! Holy cow. I had no idea! It can get that way east of the Cascades in Washington but not here. Puget sound and the Olympics surrounding the area really do create an interesting and unique protection type thing in the climate. In the Olympic Peninsula, is really more intense rain shadow affect and they get very little rain. Seattle is still technically in the Olympic rain shadow, (but in a different "ring") so believe it or not, we get fairly low rain fall in inches normally. It just drizzles a lot with occasional hard rains.

It's drizzling a tad off and on this morning. It hasn't really gotten going yet...suppose to tomorrow. But the drought has broken as of this morning.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Fishies!

OR below You know, 15 or 20 maybe, but not normally more than a week per year. It happens when that nice eastern Oregon and Washington cold air slips through that giant gap in the Cascades. Big wind, blue skies, cold!

Parts of Seattle get a rain shadow, but nothing like Sequim!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Noooooooo

I took Abe for his last beach visit last night.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Top Dog

Oh...15 or 20 or less than that but not 20 below zero, right? lol. It got to 30 below zero in Idaho where I lived before. That's really bitter cold! 20 isn't so bad except for the dampness here. It feels much colder than 20 in north Idaho.

Oh yeah....Sequim is very unusual. It hardly rains at all there...something like 19 inches compared to about 44 inches in Seattle. It's very desert like. I was looking to move there or Port Angeles but decided it was too long a trek to Seattle and north to see my kids....something like 3 hours with the ferry and all. So, I'm settling for the rain. I ought to be use to it after having lived here for 40 years before moving to Idaho for 10.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielou View Post
Noooooooo

I took Abe for his last beach visit last night.
Well, couldn't you go still in the fall and winter? It might be blustery, but I noticed a lot of animals, especially my horses loved the wind and got super goofy. But yeah, it is kind of hard to say "good-bye" to summer.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Taxiderpy

Charlie used to swim in the inlet every day through the winter, but he was a tough little nut.

Here in Olympia it will get into the 20s, usually in December. I can remember twice in my life it got down to 0, but it's definitely not a regular thing.

lol, all the locals on my Facebook feed are celebrating the fact that it's raining. It started pouring here an hour ago. And holy crap the roads are slick! There's a lot of oil built up on the pavement after a couple of months.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Glutton for Crazy

It's been INSANE here. The rain, the thunder and lightening storms, the floods.

We're at the western regionals for DD and although we had some sun this morning here comes the rain.

Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.