Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-12-2012, 10:04 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Default Just got an interesting offer...

A professional photographer in my area just left a message on my answering machine looking for an assistant for an upcoming photo shoot.

I've been to her to have portraits done with Justin a couple of times, and she does know that I hobby with photography. That said, I've never once contacted her looking for work or anything of that nature.

And yet, she called me about it.

I am simultaneously excited and nervous about the prospect.

I've always just "done my own thing" with my camera and have never assisted a photographer before. It will be a bit of a learning curve to find what it is she expects. Also, she's asking about assistance with a group of daycare kids. 99% of my personal photography gigs have been with high school marching bands. Those kids are always in neat, organized rows as a default. LOL!

Not much point in this post other than just to share. I'm going to call her back in a few minutes...
Old 10-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Behavior Nerd

I wonder if preschool/daycare kids would respond to a squeaky toy like a puppy would...

Sounds like a cool opportunity!

Old 10-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Resident fainting goat

Sounds fun I mean, if nothing else, it'll familiarize you with the equipment and you can steal some tricks/tips from a pro!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:28 AM
My dog tickles my soul

I called back! I have the job!

I totally spaced on asking about pay, but honestly, I don't care. LOL! If I get paid, awesome. If I don't, the learning experience is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I wonder if preschool/daycare kids would respond to a squeaky toy like a puppy would...

Sounds like a cool opportunity!
From my experience with photographing my son... yes. Yes, they often respond to squeaky toys like a puppy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Sounds fun I mean, if nothing else, it'll familiarize you with the equipment and you can steal some tricks/tips from a pro!
Exactly! Basically all I'll be doing this time around is baby/toddler wrangling. Wiping noses and fixing hair before their photos are taken, cuddling the criers, chasing the runners, etc. I'm already familiar with most of her studio setup from having portraits done by her in the past, but it will be neat to see what her "mobile" studio entails. Especially lighting!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Wookie Collie

Oh awesome! It's a ton of fun. My co-worker's hubby Serge is a professional photographer and I've been his assistant a few times that she's been unavailable. He's taught me lots of little tidbits about photographing, especially when it comes to pets, that I had no idea about.

Example: We did a greyhound event a few weeks ago, and he told me that getting a greyhound to perk its ears for a photo is one of the hardest things to do in the pet photography world. He was right; I had to continually throw treats at Serge's head in order to get the greyhounds to perk their ears in his direction for a half second for the photo. It often took many takes. I worked, though!

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 10-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
Oh awesome! It's a ton of fun. My co-worker's hubby Serge is a professional photographer and I've been his assistant a few times that she's been unavailable. He's taught me lots of little tidbits about photographing, especially when it comes to pets, that I had no idea about.

Example: We did a greyhound event a few weeks ago, and he told me that getting a greyhound to perk its ears for a photo is one of the hardest things to do in the pet photography world. He was right; I had to continually throw treats at Serge's head in order to get the greyhounds to perk their ears in his direction for a half second for the photo. It often took many takes. I worked, though!
Love his work!! So unique and fun!! He is very talented
Old 10-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Top Dog

Oh wow! Congratulations! This is very, very cool. You will learn all kinds of things and maybe it can become a real profession for you...if that's what you're thinking about. She must think a lot of you to have approached you on this. I hope you enjoy it and get a lot out of it. I'm sure you'll be a great asset to her. And yes, I totally think kids respond to squeaky toys. lol. Really.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-13-2012, 10:18 AM
treehugging clicker freak

congrats! We get sooooo many photographers in the school - the staff have their favorites with who is good with the children and who isn't. I think it sounds like you'd be good at it!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 10-13-2012, 10:23 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Thanks everybody! I'm excited and anxious to see how this pans out. Thank you for all the positive thoughts and encouragement!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:33 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Well, today was the first day of the two-day gig. I'm exhausted.

And to tell the truth, I don't know how much I helped. I don't think it went badly AT ALL, but I don't know how to tell how well it actually went. I mean, I think it went okay. There was some confusion along the way, but we got most of the portraits done that we had on the list to do for Day One. So... success! LOL

I also found out that this photographer is getting out of the business. Her other at-home jon is in advertising and marketing, and she has decided to focus on that instead of the photography moving forward.

So I get home, worn out, and tell this story. Now I am being encouraged to try to take over her client base, to take advantage of the situation. The problem is that I don't know if this is a gig I want or not, and I also have no equipment of my own. This was supposed to be an opportunity to gain experience so I could find out... not so I could jump in head first.

I hate to waste and opportunity, but I'm also somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of making a huge investment in something I'm still not sure about. I'm not prepared to do it RIGHT NOW, but the time to make the call is, well, right now.

So now I'm exhausted and stuck in the middle.