Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 10-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Snark's Avatar
Snark Snark is offline
Mutts to you
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum View Post
Why don't I post?

1. I often don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said.
2. I seem to always be late to the party. When I do have something to say, it often ends up being on a thread that's already died.
3. Lots of times when I read over what I've typed, I'm unhappy with how what I intended to say came off.
4. Although I know there are a few people near my age (I'm 58), It does sometimes feel a little strange to be so much older than most on here. I must say though that I am always suprised when I find out how young some people are because they seem so mature.
5. I have a black labX. I think he's wonderful, silly, lots of fun and beautiful, but really, for various reasons, we don't do anything nearly as interesting as most of you and on top of that I'm a lousy photographer. Also, he's a really good dog so I don't even have anything to complain about.
1 thru 4... and I seem to kill threads when I do post, or maybe they were already dying and I just pushed them over the cliff.
__________________


I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Lyzelle's Avatar
Lyzelle Lyzelle is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,765
Default

I lurk mostly because I feel like I have nothing to add. Or because I can't get what I want to say across well enough.

Or if I do have something to add, I typically won't if I feel like I'm just going to get an "I'm older/better/more experienced/you don't know anything/stupid kid/whatever" response.

I also won't post if I feel like things are getting cliquey. Like there's a thread going, but all posts except by those few in that "group" are getting ignored. I feel that way in chat rooms too. No point in having a "community" if only a few are ever going to get noticed or responded to.

So I prefer to duck out rather than deal with any of the above.
__________________
Zander and HarleyQuinn
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Southpaw's Avatar
Southpaw Southpaw is offline
orange iguanas.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,197
Default

Lurking is just in my nature lol. The internet version of myself is pretty similar to the real me - I just don't have much to say, and don't share my thoughts unless I feel like they're actually worth sharing.

Plus when it actually comes to dog stuff, most of you are way more informed than I am.
__________________
And if all of it is for naught, well at least I took a shot

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,494
Default

It's like first day at the middle school lunch room lol I've done intro posts at a few forums and have hesitated to get involved, it's a little scary and you don't "know" people yet and it's just..tough to get into it.

Plus websites have a way of being forgotten if they don't fall into my routine or do nothing to engage me.

1. Small breed/chihuahua forums are a beast I hope to never again encounter. Weight obsessed and 10000 smileys and nobody really debates much of anything just cute pictures, happy happy happy comments and weight charts.. lots of weight charts.

2. Other dog forums. I always end up back here lol
__________________

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 PM
lastkid lastkid is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 39
Default

Is it weird that I'm so used to lurking I'm having trouble de-lurking even just for one post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum View Post
I love chaz! ... and I love it because IRL, although I know lots of dog owners, none of them are as dog crazy as I am. My dog is my best friend and this is the only place I know where lots of people seem to feel the same.
Same here! I love this place: the information, the photography, the debates... Most interesting and least crazy dog forum I've ever read. I've learned a ton since I first registered back in the olden days (2005-06?), but like a lot of the other lurkers in this thread, I just don't feel like I have much to add once I've read through a thread. Plus, I'm insanely introverted, so it's more fun to read along than to jump in and post.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-11-2012, 11:49 PM
CharlieDog's Avatar
CharlieDog CharlieDog is offline
Rude and Not Ginger
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 9,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastkid View Post
Is it weird that I'm so used to lurking I'm having trouble de-lurking even just for one post?
I was just thinking that

I post, I mean, I guess I post enough that I feel like most people on here "know" who I am, but most of the time I don't feel like talking, or I'm just popping in to make sure nothing has exploded, or whatever.

I also go through periods where I don't stfu, and periods where I don't say anything for weeks though, so, yeah.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Doberluv's Avatar
Doberluv Doberluv is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: western Wa
Posts: 21,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum View Post
LOL, I've been thinking about starting a thread like this for some time now, but of course I never got around to it. I was going to call it "Okay, fellow lurkers, come out of the woodwork and tell us why you don't post"

I love chaz! I've been lurking here since spring 2009 (under a different user name for the first couple of years, but I forgot my password) and I love it because IRL, although I know lots of dog owners, none of them are as dog crazy as I am. My dog is my best friend and this is the only place I know where lots of people seem to feel the same.

Why don't I post?

1. I often don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said.
2. I seem to always be late to the party. When I do have something to say, it often ends up being on a thread that's already died.
3. Lots of times when I read over what I've typed, I'm unhappy with how what I intended to say came off.
4. Although I know there are a few people near my age (I'm 58), It does sometimes feel a little strange to be so much older than most on here. I must say though that I am always suprised when I find out how young some people are because they seem so mature.
5. I have a black labX. I think he's wonderful, silly, lots of fun and beautiful, but really, for various reasons, we don't do anything nearly as interesting as most of you and on top of that I'm a lousy photographer. Also, he's a really good dog so I don't even have anything to complain about.

PS I think it's funny that, probably the longest post I've ever made, is about why I don't post


Too funny. Hey, I'm exactly the same age as you are. Yeah!!! I thought I was the only oldster. I'm glad I'm not. I hope you post more.

I do love young people though and I even hang out with them quite a bit in "real" life...my daughter, son and their friends. They think I'm really hip. Or at least that's what they say to make me feel good.

But I know what you guys mean about sometimes not really having much to add or being busy or even just feeling quiet. But it doesn't usually last too long for me. LOL.
__________________
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776





"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10-12-2012, 12:21 AM
peaceful_minion peaceful_minion is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
There's a lurker on here who is also one of my coworkers.

I keep telling her to post an intro thread and she keeps NOT doing it

ETA: I lurk mainly on the OES forum that I'm on because I don't have a whole lot in common with the other members. I mainly comment on cute pictures and the nutrition threads when I think I have information that can help
Thank-you so much for goading me into this. Hello all I'm the lurker. For the time being I lurk because I know that the majority of my questions have already been answered, and find them using the search forum option. Also on nights like tonight, I feel like I have used up my talking quotient for the day. In a week or so, when I have my next day off I will make a proper intro.

Just have to say, Going to the Wolf Center tomorrow for work. Woot! Yeah, thats right in your face
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Doberluv's Avatar
Doberluv Doberluv is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: western Wa
Posts: 21,915
Default

Who is in the cliquey group or the "in crowd?" This has been mentioned a few times. Am I really this oblivious or unobservant? Is it that a few people have become extra friendly with each other so they naturally have more of a back and forth thing?

Something else that bothered me and I'm also guilty of it is, that hardly anyone responds to each other in many of the threads. (or is that just the nature of the beast? Could I be imagining things?) Now naturally, you can't respond to everyone all the time or you couldn't get around and visit very many threads. It would take all day just to answer everyone on that one thread. As it is, some of us have to zip through because we have limited time on some days or every day. But it is kind of disappointing sometimes. Like today, there was a thread about good combinations of dogs. I posted what I thought was a darling picture of the combination of dogs I had in my household at one time. They were quite an odd combination because of vast differences in size. They were all piled up in a heap with my son in there too. But no one even noticed. And since everyone pretty much doesn't respond to very many posts, I kind of don't either as much as I should or even as much as I'd like to because it's like....what's the use. (?) Is that how some of you feel?

I wish we could rig up some kind of thing where everyone would try more to make some little comment or something to more posts. Of course, like I said, you can't get to everyone's...especially if you're not even on here that much. So any ideas? Or is nobody going to respond? LOL.

So, is that what you mean by cliquey or "in crowd?" Is it that only a few people respond to each other's posts and always the same ones? To me, it just looks like everyone writes something, the posts get read (maybe) and that is that. So, sometimes it feels like you're having a conversation with yourself. I do that enough as it is. Don't need more of it.

Now I'm not whining mind you....because I do the same thing. And I don't live for constant attention or feed back. But a little bit more of noticing other peoples' posts might be nicer, not to mention, more interesting. It's like in real life. Did you ever talk to someone who doesn't seem to register anything you say and they turn everything back to themselves or something to do with themselves? They hardly make a comment at all about what you just said... and just start telling you a story about their own thing? You say something and they say only, "that reminds me of the time when me, myself, and I............" LOL.

So, when I do get to spend more time on the computer....as the weather gets crummy around here and there's not so much outside work, I am going to turn over a new leaf and try and respond to more posts in the threads I'm active in....that IS...if I have something of even the most minute substance to add. I won't be able to get to every post. That would impossible. But I'm going to try to respond to more of them than I have been....with the exception of one thing: If something is really ticking me off and I'm afraid the next thing I'll type is really rotten, I better not dive into that one. I have been known to get kind of dicey at times.

So, anyone with me? Wha? Hello? Anyone here? J/K.
__________________
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776





"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Doberluv's Avatar
Doberluv Doberluv is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: western Wa
Posts: 21,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_minion View Post
Thank-you so much for goading me into this. Hello all I'm the lurker. For the time being I lurk because I know that the majority of my questions have already been answered, and find them using the search forum option. Also on nights like tonight, I feel like I have used up my talking quotient for the day. In a week or so, when I have my next day off I will make a proper intro.

Just have to say, Going to the Wolf Center tomorrow for work. Woot! Yeah, thats right in your face

Glad you're here!
__________________
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776





"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 AM.


©1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site