Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Top Dog

I think buyers sometimes feel that they should get a breeder's undivided attention. Not saying this is the case always but I have dealt with a few like this. Sometimes breeders don't have enough time to respond to everyone. I hate to say it but sometimes they ignore someone because they don't want them having one of their puppies. I will answer generic questions but unless someone is seriously interested in the breeding or has a deposit down, I rarely respond to emails that give me a funny feeling or are someone I would consider a lookie loo.

Also, just because a breeder tells you price and stuff doesn't mean you are guaranteed a puppy. Or because they posted pictures of the litter.

I ignored a few people who wanted puppies out of my litter, I did respond to their generic emails and they took that to mean that they would be getting a puppy. They weren't and were never even a consideration for one. I have a contract and questionnaire that needs filled out, I figure if you can't take the time to do that then you're not serious about it.

As a buyer, I understand the frustrations. Sometimes you need to prove yourself before you can get a puppy from certain breeders.

And...some people buyers and breeders are just rude and have no common courtesy.

In my mind it is a double edged sword and I've seen both sides of it.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashells View Post
I had this experience when trying to find a pom breeder. Did a lot of looking around a year in advance, contacted a few people, and this happened with one of the ones I had high hopes for. Although the first response was more of a generic "Things to think about before getting a puppy" form reply, which I then replied to again...and got not response. It kind of rubbed me the wrong way to be honest. I'm sure they do that to screen people so they can chase away bad buyers or people who really aren't ready for a puppy, but I'm not sure why they didn't reply when I replied to that email giving more information about my experience with dogs and detailing how I was preparing for this puppy. They may have had a perfectly good reason for never replying, but I ended up going with a different breeder who was much more communicative.

To me, the breeder/buyer relationship is important. I too wanted to get to know my breeder before getting a dog, to make sure I really felt comfortable with them.
See now, this is actually something that I was really happy about with End's breeder, with most of the other breeders it was trying to hash out to them that "I was interested in the breed, eventually wanted a puppy, really liked their dogs, wanted to get to know them more and see if we can talk, etc", but she has it a bit different. I did send a first email just asking if she was comfortable with one of her puppies in a show home (she was thrilled! actually), but she has an entire page where you fill out a form of questions about your life, home, family, past dog experience, current dogs, etc. I really liked it a lot, if forced me no to forget anything, lol! And from there even though we only talked by email, it was a very open and heavily conversational experience. We talked at least weekly from the beginning of the year when I first sent her a message, and we have Facebook now! She sent out info on the previous litter even though I wasn't getting a puppy from that one, but it was great to hear about her relatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
I have actually had this issue and would like some answers about it, as well.

I was in contact with a Dachshund breeder not long ago and I was super super stoked to get one of their puppies. I had spoke to the breeder, told them about my home, discussed price/shipping, and they basically said that they would let me know when the breeding happened and send me pictures of the puppies.

The puppies were due in September. I have sent a message to the breeder a few times... One before they were due and one recently. I was basically updating them on my own dachshund, while asking about the breeding and when I should expect pictures of the puppies.

I haven't heard a single thing from them. No message back, nothing. The announced the breeding on their site and posted pictures there... But I haven't heard anything back. ): Makes me sad.

Another thing that is hurtful about it is this is the only reputable breeder of the color I want that I could find. If they do not wish to give me a puppy, I would definitely like to know why as I will basically have to give up my want for a puppy of that color that is well bred.
Oh wow, that is a lot like the experience I had. I mean, doesn't it just have an off feeling to it though? It's possible a breeding actually didn't take, or the pups were still born, or the gender/specific pup you're looking for isn't there, but the not knowing, they could at least let you know, couldn't they?
Old 10-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
I think buyers sometimes feel that they should get a breeder's undivided attention. Not saying this is the case always but I have dealt with a few like this. Sometimes breeders don't have enough time to respond to everyone. I hate to say it but sometimes they ignore someone because they don't want them having one of their puppies. I will answer generic questions but unless someone is seriously interested in the breeding or has a deposit down, I rarely respond to emails that give me a funny feeling or are someone I would consider a lookie loo.

Also, just because a breeder tells you price and stuff doesn't mean you are guaranteed a puppy. Or because they posted pictures of the litter.

I ignored a few people who wanted puppies out of my litter, I did respond to their generic emails and they took that to mean that they would be getting a puppy. They weren't and were never even a consideration for one. I have a contract and questionnaire that needs filled out, I figure if you can't take the time to do that then you're not serious about it.

As a buyer, I understand the frustrations. Sometimes you need to prove yourself before you can get a puppy from certain breeders.

And...some people buyers and breeders are just rude and have no common courtesy.

In my mind it is a double edged sword and I've seen both sides of it.
Just to be clear, that's what I did on the first phone call, I had my "reservation" in for any of the next litter that had what I was looking for "Show potential bitch", I was just waiting on the confirmation from the breeder that there was a litter with what I was looking for, then to be instructed to send my deposit, I was never instructed to send my deposit, I was never informed that a litter was born, but more so, she could have at least told me there wasn't a litter born, or that the second was all male, I could go on with this forever I suppose. I'll probably never know for sure in my case "why", but it would just be nice to know, you know?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Top Dog

I wanted to put a deposit down, and asked if they had any questions for me, but they told me they wanted to wait until the actual breeding before moving forward. I contacted them about 6 months in advance of the breeding.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WelshStump~ View Post
Just to be clear, that's what I did on the first phone call, I had my "reservation" in for any of the next litter that had what I was looking for "Show potential bitch", I was just waiting on the confirmation from the breeder that there was a litter with what I was looking for, then to be instructed to send my deposit, I was never instructed to send my deposit, I was never informed that a litter was born, but more so, she could have at least told me there wasn't a litter born, or that the second was all male, I could go on with this forever I suppose. I'll probably never know for sure in my case "why", but it would just be nice to know, you know?
I understand. As a buyer, I really understand. I did communicate with all interested parties in the beginning then I took my best candidates and sent a nice polite Sorry but the litter is fully reserved to the rest of them.

I do think it boils down to proving yourself to some breeders. I had to for an AST. Believe me, history of ownership,dogs,health,training methods and other things are all scrutinized by some breeders before they'll place a puppy.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
Sometimes you need to prove yourself before you can get a puppy from certain breeders.
So what the hell, do I need to raise and title a high drive GSD puppy before I'm qualified for a well bred Mal puppy?

I just want a nice well bred dog thats stable in all situations that I can do fun sports with. The major reason I'm looking at a breeder instead of rescue is that well I've spent a lot of time working through issues from previous owners in my girls and it'd be nice to sidestep that next time, though honestly I'd prefer a nice young adult to a puppy.

Honestly I understand being annoyed by high maintenance people, but I don't think honest concerns from someone wanting to make sure they are prepared for something that everyone and their dog (har har) is always flashing red neon signs about saying "stay away" and "buyer beware!" Especially wanting to be prepared for raising a working dog pup when only ever having raised a roommate's six month old ridgeback before lol. Honestly it sounds like my adult dogs get more socialization in public, but granted I only have two dogs. But I found it interesting how no big deal it was made to sound to work on puppy socialization given the high rate of rehome of young dogs/pups with first time people getting into that particular breed.

I also think people looking rescue should screen the places they buy... oh excuse me the pc term is adopt their dog from more carefully. Frankly there are a LOT of rescues and shelters I would prefer not to patronize for various reasons and there are a LOT of things that bother me about rescue. I think the same principles of buyer/seller beware applies to both reputable breeders and rescues.

Gotta be honest some days I just want to say screw it and just get another sled dog mutt.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WelshStump~ View Post
See now, this is actually something that I was really happy about with End's breeder, with most of the other breeders it was trying to hash out to them that "I was interested in the breed, eventually wanted a puppy, really liked their dogs, wanted to get to know them more and see if we can talk, etc", but she has it a bit different. I did send a first email just asking if she was comfortable with one of her puppies in a show home (she was thrilled! actually), but she has an entire page where you fill out a form of questions about your life, home, family, past dog experience, current dogs, etc. I really liked it a lot, if forced me no to forget anything, lol! And from there even though we only talked by email, it was a very open and heavily conversational experience. We talked at least weekly from the beginning of the year when I first sent her a message, and we have Facebook now! She sent out info on the previous litter even though I wasn't getting a puppy from that one, but it was great to hear about her relatives.
Thats pretty cool!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Top Dog

And actually I do understand not encouraging people who give you a bad feeling. When I first grudgingly took Scout in I intended to train/socialize her up and place her. Well every single person who was interested was a woman with small children. I guess because Scout is pretty? Anyway I was like eh I'll give you a chance to prove yourself to me... Well not one interested person gave me the right answer on the one key question I asked them.

I asked what they would do if they came home and she had escaped and shredded various things around the house. It happens with this kind of dog, especially one like Scout that has some gereralized anxiety!
Every single one said they would at the very least yell at her. One said they would smack her around.

The astronomical damage that would do to a dog like Scout... Yeah the thought of someone doing that to her literally makes me sick to my stomach. Suffice to say talking to potential adopters was key in my decision to keep her forever.

So I understand not responding to every yahoo who wants a puppy, but some people honestly just want to make sure their breed choice is right for them and want to be actually involved and not just here have some cash.

I dunno, I'm crappy at politics and holy f'ing hell does the dog world have them.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Kung Pow Fish

To answer the original question-- **** happens. Why didnt you, as the buyer, send a simple reminder of "hey I hope I wasnt forgotten in all the crazyness, please let me know any updates on these pups/this litter". If you never speak up, dont be surprised if you get flat out forgotten!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Top Dog

Some people are just kind of flaky with communications. I am. If I set something aside to answer later, when I can give it proper time, then I'm very likely to forget to answer it. It's not intended as a blow off, and the way for people to deal with it is to nag me a little.

I fortunately only had to place one pup of my breeding, and I wound up placing her with a good friend, but if I did have a breeding in which I was looking for homes, I would have a lot of communication with people before I considered them worthy of my pups. But the people would have to be a little pushy about making the communication happen.