Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
I lurk because I don't have much to say, and I tend to ask my questions on a busier forum where I'll get answers. The people here are a really close group and I often feel like an intruder, so I read a lot of posts but don't comment much. I'll de-lurk to comment on a dog, welcome a new member or if I feel I have something valuable to add, but that's about it.
I just wanted to address this (and the other posts like it) because it's exactly how I felt when I joined - the only way I found to get past it was to just post more. The close group is close because they post allllll the time. It's easy to say "just post more" but I know it's hard to do and can be really intimidating. But do it anyway cause most of us are friendly and want to know you.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 10-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I honestly love when people start to post a whole ton (well..98.5% of people ) and I wish that a lot of people would post more. I like getting to know people on here, and the more you post the more we get to know you!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:47 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
I just wanted to address this (and the other posts like it) because it's exactly how I felt when I joined - the only way I found to get past it was to just post more. The close group is close because they post allllll the time. It's easy to say "just post more" but I know it's hard to do and can be really intimidating. But do it anyway cause most of us are friendly and want to know you.
Yup... any forum, any topic, you gotta fake it 'til you make it. Just pretend you fit in until you do.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Twin 2

I lurked for about two years before I really started posting. I would post here or there but I did find that bond to be hard to break through. That was until I figured out all you had to do was post more and not be a jerk.

I love the closeness of this forum. It's what keeps me here rather than other forums that while maybe a lot busier don't have that family feel. But it was rather intimidating from the outside looking in.

Once I got Traveler I started posting on a regular basis and have been ever since. I'll go through stints where I post more or post less because of either being on my phone, just not wanting to put thought into something or nothing I say will come off nice.

But all you lurkers that have never posted before reading this! Get on that!

We're a close bunch but I love new people on here! I've made a ton of friends from this forum. One comes every Christmas to stay with my family and has become part of our family, another I ended up importing a dog with, some I talk to on a regular basis and I wouldn't have gotten that if I never posted.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Top Dog

I don't know why I lurk more than post. I guess I have nothing to add and on the political posts, I don't usually bother, I figure I'm not going to change peoples minds and they aren't going to change mine so why bother, I get too frustrated reading some of the comments.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Bite Club

I'm not a huge poster... I'm just a quiet person... words and I do not get along most of the time I love this forum though and love reading and looking at all of the photos. I've definitely learned a lot too!

~Aura & Riley~
Old 10-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I post a lot and I find lurking boring usually. If it doesn't interest me enough to participate I rarely lurk but there are times I read a thread and am at a loss for words so I guess that's mild lurkage.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Top Dog

I had to check, but I joined May 2010 and have around 900 posts. I don't consider that a lot for 2 1/2 years of membership, but I definitely wouldn't call it lurking, either.

Thinking about it, I can come up with a few reasons why I don't post frequently

1) I hate logging in. True story It makes no sense, considering that neither my username nor my password counts as unconventional or lengthy, but I am so incredibly lazy that I flat out don't do it.

Often times when I do log in and post, you'll notice that I post 5 or up to even 10 replies (usually on picture threads) in a span of a few moments, to catch up on what I had missed while signed out of Chaz. And then I sit and wait for more necessary replies to accumulate before popping back in again.

...holy crow, I am weird

2) I tend to ask most dog-related questions on Facebook, because I'm ALWAYS on Facebook and tend to receive immediate replies. As far as discussion questions go, I rarely think of any good topics for discussion, or if I do, I get too lazy to sign in and start a thread and wind up forgetting LOL

3) My dog is boring. Trent is not weird, he's not quirky, he's not particularly difficult, and doesn't have an ounce of mischief in his body. He's my steady dog, well behaved, predictable. He sleeps all day and the highlights of our outings are always accompanied by pictures, which show his personality better than I could put into words.

Frankly, if I posted about Trent, I think it would just involve a lot of gushing on my part about how much I love my dog, with the occasional "oh, guess what? He got up from the hallway to stretch and moved to the living room couch.". Don't get me wrong, I love and want boring and predictable. It just means that there isn't much to announce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Did you lurk a long time before you originally started posting or jump right in?
I was already a member of another forum (or two) and recognized a few familiar faces, so I didn't feel too intimidated. I jumped right in, but then again, I did the same when I first joined forums for the first time (a general dog forum and a German Shepherd specific one).

It helped that I knew a few frequent posters already and received a really warm welcome with plenty of compliments for Trent. That's how I knew I liked Chaz, of course. Plus, I cozy up to people in real life quickly, even if a little awkwardly. I think I tend to be familiar fairly naturally and possibly too early on.

Well, too bad, you're all stuck with me now
Old 10-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

Oh yeah, I just wanted to add, that I talk more on FB to people from here then I do on here. I'm not sure if that made sense. And I hardly have time anymore, so all I do is make a scan of the new posts, click on the threads that seem interesting, read, and leave.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
I had to check, but I joined May 2010 and have around 900 posts. I don't consider that a lot for 2 1/2 years of membership, but I definitely wouldn't call it lurking, either.

Thinking about it, I can come up with a few reasons why I don't post frequently

1) I hate logging in. True story It makes no sense, considering that neither my username nor my password counts as unconventional or lengthy, but I am so incredibly lazy that I flat out don't do it.

Often times when I do log in and post, you'll notice that I post 5 or up to even 10 replies (usually on picture threads) in a span of a few moments, to catch up on what I had missed while signed out of Chaz. And then I sit and wait for more necessary replies to accumulate before popping back in again.

...holy crow, I am weird

2) I tend to ask most dog-related questions on Facebook, because I'm ALWAYS on Facebook and tend to receive immediate replies. As far as discussion questions go, I rarely think of any good topics for discussion, or if I do, I get too lazy to sign in and start a thread and wind up forgetting LOL

3) My dog is boring. Trent is not weird, he's not quirky, he's not particularly difficult, and doesn't have an ounce of mischief in his body. He's my steady dog, well behaved, predictable. He sleeps all day and the highlights of our outings are always accompanied by pictures, which show his personality better than I could put into words.

Frankly, if I posted about Trent, I think it would just involve a lot of gushing on my part about how much I love my dog, with the occasional "oh, guess what? He got up from the hallway to stretch and moved to the living room couch.". Don't get me wrong, I love and want boring and predictable. It just means that there isn't much to announce

I was already a member of another forum (or two) and recognized a few familiar faces, so I didn't feel too intimidated. I jumped right in, but then again, I did the same when I first joined forums for the first time (a general dog forum and a German Shepherd specific one).

It helped that I knew a few frequent posters already and received a really warm welcome with plenty of compliments for Trent. That's how I knew I liked Chaz, of course. Plus, I cozy up to people in real life quickly, even if a little awkwardly. I think I tend to be familiar fairly naturally and possibly too early on.

Well, too bad, you're all stuck with me now
No more being lazy. You simply must post more. I insist! I'm really glad you're on this forum. I always like your posts. (when you post) lol. And I even like this post because it's so down to earth and detailed. And it had me grinning when you described Trent. Too funny....okay, he got up and stretched. ROFLOL. That's about it with my dogs too. Nothing too newsworthy most of the time.

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson