Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 10-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Fromm dog kibble is tiny... a lot smaller than the Acana/Orijen/Go/NV cat kibbles I feed the ferrets at least
Not smaller than Halo cat kibble!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Top Dog

I feed partial raw. Buzz has a kibble he can eat so I don't stress about making sure his raw is thawed, etc on busy days/weeks. Bailey eats partial kibble for convenience. She stays with my mom a lot and my mom refuses to touch raw (even dehydrated) so she eats at least some kibble here.

The majority of the dogs I watch also get some raw because... it's awesome! I fed our golden guest a pork tail and once she figured out it was edible she was delighted!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 10-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Top Dog

I mix the 2 usually. They do well on it.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Not smaller than Halo cat kibble!
I don't know how small Halo is but the Darford kibble is super small. Just throwing that out there. (It's also super expensive and once I run out of my free bag I probably won't buy anymore.)

I feed raw but still use kibble for training - I don't think it's any worse than the other treats I use (mainly hot dogs and home made stuff).

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 10-10-2012, 07:50 AM
such sights to show you

I've mixed them, I've fed them separately. For my dogs it doesn't make a difference. I would just pick whatever is easiest for you to do, and if it causes any problems try it the other way.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Hmmm,never thought of mixing. This could be a good option for me, as food is so expensive here.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 10-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Top Dog

I mixed for Scout for a while, but she didn't do so hot on it. It was kinda a $hit show. Literally. Scout's "special" though.

Since freezer space is a concern you mention, I'd like to say that I feed two big dogs, myself, and my two roomies out of the normal sized above the fridge freezer. Scout is like 70lbs now I guesstimate (she was 63.something last time I weighed her in April and she's gained since then) and Lily is always between 47 and 51lbs. I eat a freaking ton of meat myself. I can fit a whole case of 5lb green tripe rolls in there with our regular stuff.

The number one reason I put off feeding raw so long was telling myself I didn't have freezer space. Omg how I've kicked myself over that since finally having been forced to change due to Lily suddenly having bad issues on commercial food.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Active Pup

This is something I've been interested in doing as well. I already feed my cats partial raw, so I'm not sure why I've been so wary about doing it with my pom.

I'm sorry if this is a super old overdone question...but I see a lot of people in this thread feeding kibble with raw. Is this totally fine? I'd never known whether that being dangerous was a myth or had any fact to it and never bothered to research it further since the cats get no kibble.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Top Dog

I feed Wilson kibble & raw. I never mix the two though. He just.. doesn't do well on 100% raw. Too many hunger pukes!
Old 10-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Top Dog

I don't know if this would be considered partial, but my dogs get turkey necks twice a week and organs whenever I buy them.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb