Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Twin 2

Default Why do you lurk?

For those that read but infrequently post or those reading this that have never posted, why do you lurk?

Did you lurk a long time before you originally started posting or jump right in? Do you go through spells of lurkdom? What draws you out of your hole and what puts you in it.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:23 AM
MyHorseMyRules

Ooh, I'm interested to hear about this, as well.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Top Dog

I tend to be a lurker more than a poster. Especially when I first join a forum and I haven't gotten a good feel for the popular opinions for things yet. I absolutely don't want to be one of those people who jumps in saying they are against something when the majority of members are for it. I feel that is just picking a fight and I'd rather know what I'm getting myself into first. Or I would rather be more informed about a topic before I feel comfortable posting about it.

I also want to get a feel for individual members. Does someone fight just to fight? Does someone tend to get personal in debates? I like to know what I'm up against before I post something that I may have to defend.

Even now on Chaz, I'll go through lurking phases when I'm not in a talkative (typative?) mood or if I know I won't have any constructive or nice to say. So generally when I'm pms'ing for example, I won't post for several days because I know whatever I post will come across wrong.

This is the only forum I post on right now, the rest I lurk.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

There's a lurker on here who is also one of my coworkers.

I keep telling her to post an intro thread and she keeps NOT doing it

ETA: I lurk mainly on the OES forum that I'm on because I don't have a whole lot in common with the other members. I mainly comment on cute pictures and the nutrition threads when I think I have information that can help

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:43 AM
<--------Orson

Though I'm definitely not a lurker here, I lurk on two different sites..........non animal related. I've been a member at one for way over a year, and the other for around 6 months. I've never posted, so nothing has drawn me out of my hole, LOL

I lurk because there's no reason to post. I can't offer any information because I'm learning about these subjects. I haven't needed to ask anything because I know how to use a forum and the search........most subjects a newb would need have been covered in spades.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:45 AM
MyHorseMyRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
I tend to be a lurker more than a poster. Especially when I first join a forum and I haven't gotten a good feel for the popular opinions for things yet. I absolutely don't want to be one of those people who jumps in saying they are against something when the majority of members are for it. I feel that is just picking a fight and I'd rather know what I'm getting myself into first. Or I would rather be more informed about a topic before I feel comfortable posting about it.
Now that I know how these things work, I would do the same. Back when I first discovered Chaz, I barely even knew how to post. And I did start a fight when I joined. I got all defensive and lied and other various things I'm not overly proud of now that I'm a little older and a little more mature. Key word being little. lol But what I'm saying is I can see how lurking for a while would have worked out in my favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
So generally when I'm pms'ing for example, I won't post for several days because I know whatever I post will come across wrong.
This is something I SHOULD do but seldom end up doing... lol Sometimes Linds is my conscience and tells me not to post something because it's a little too snarky, even for me.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Sometimes I just don't have anything to say or share.

I read some threads and while I like them I have nothing to add.

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 10-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Let it be

I go through phases here where I am vocal. I have gone MIA a few times but I still read from time to time and lurk during those periods. I don't always feel like I have it in me to contribute to a forum but I enjoy reading what everyone else has to say.

I don't think I count as a lurker though. I've been around awhile and post a fair bit.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Top Dog

Sometimes the wave of conversation on Chaz just doesn't go into stuff I really want to post on. Like parent topics I'm not a parent or wanting to be one so nothing to add. Same with shows, agility Any competitions i'll post if there are pics and i like them but actual talk about isn't really my thing.

Also on training ones I'll throw in what I know or try to disclaimer bad advice but if its five or more pages in there probably isn't much to add.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Top Dog

I tend to lurk more than I post, usually because I feel that there are people who know more than me and/or can say something better than I probably could. Or what I was going to say has already been said, so no sense in repeating it. Plus, most of the time I get to spend online is at work, so it's easier to read a whole bunch of things when I have time rather than post a lot. Even in real life though I tend to keep my thoughts and opinions to myself unless I absolutely feel the need to say something. And I don't like to be the person that everybody disagrees with, so if I'm one of only a few (or the only one) with an opposing opinion of something, I'm probably not going to post it depending on the topic and situation.

But all in all, I'm just not a real big talker in real life or online unless I know you really well. I like to observe and chime in when I feel I can add something to a conversation.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN