Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Top Dog

Default Is there any breeds your dog just loves?

I've noticed my girls have never met a bull terrier or a Basenji they didn't instantly hit it off with.
Both are shy and take forever to get comfortable with most dogs but there are a few they just hit it off with.
Every single Bull terrier and Baenji they have met they have both instantly loved. Playing non stop and just having a great old time.

Are there any breeds your dog seems drawn too?
Any they hate?

Mine are both afraid of most herding dogs, when they get that herding focus going. They both hide in the corner of the dog park!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Top Dog

Keira loves Rottweilers. I don't know what it is about them, but Keira isn't a particularly doggy dog (as in she really doesn't care about other dogs), and for some reason she loves flirting with Rottweilers and tries to get them to play with her way more than she has any other dog or breed.

Ripley is infatuated with Vizslas. He loves playing with them. I think it's their high energy, ball of fun sort of attitude and the fact that they don't seem particularly pushy (at least the ones he's met). I really don't know. He likes Weimaraners too and GSPs as long as they're not the frantic, anxious kind I see more often than not. He also really likes little dogs.

Dance isn't all that into other dogs either (like Keira), but she loves Dobermans. Probably doesn't help that most of the dogs she's known have been Dobermans. She probably thinks she is one, haha.

Other than that, my dogs are fine with the majority of other dogs. They might not want to play, but they're fine with them. Both girls don't like dogs that get all up in their business and try to push authority, but a lot of dogs probably feel the same way.

As far as breeds they don't like:

Dance is easily annoyed by other retrievers. I don't really know why, she just is. I think she finds them overwhelming.

None of them are fond of terriers. Too in your face and tenacious for them.

They're all weirded out by stalky herding breeds, but it's not that they don't like them. They just don't get what they're doing.

Overall, my dogs just seem to like to meet non-invasive, polite dogs who have an easy going attitude and like to have fun.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN

Last edited by Toller_08; 10-10-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Top Dog

Logan loves collies, shelties, and GSDs. He gets SUPER excited when he sees one. I'm pretty sure he thinks shelties must be BABY COLLIES!!11!1!1!!1the way he acts. He's never met a dog he didn't like, but those breeds he REALLY REALLY likes.

Gavroche likes anything smaller than he is, the smaller the better. He really loves chihuahuas. He doesn't like other boxers, bully types, or labs.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:54 PM
such sights to show you

Squash adores tiny dogs. It's weird, with Maisy he plays SO rough and hard, and he is SO careful and tolerant of the wee ones. He will even lay down to play a dialed-down version of "bitey face" with them so they are more level heights. And he lets them crawl all over him, etc. and loves it. Our neighbors' daughter has a wee cocker spaniel mix who he is absolutely head over heels over.

Don't know why.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Top Dog

More of a generalisation than a breed, but Grace (Stafford) adores small dogs. She is always very interested when she sees one and spent most of her obedience class (many moons ago) with her back facing me watching the small dog class and whining pitifully.

Abby likes (or should I say, tolerates?) dogs that don't take much interest in her at all... that's why Locke the whippet is a very good match because she'd just have to look in his direction and he would immediately relieve the pressure. They have bonded over time, but the social pressure was always very low, whereas a lot of dogs are just too over the top friendly for her.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:12 PM
I'm All Ears

Summer loves papillons and anything that looks somewhat papillon-ish. she usually growls at other dogs but she will run up and lick the face of a papillon or a pom or a longhaired chi. There was a tiny sable and white LH chi at petsmart a few weeks ago and Summer immediately went 'Oh it's my people!' And totally overwhelmed the poor chi trying to give her lots of kisses. She really doesn't act that way with all chis or poms though. But ALL papillons are that way.

She also was that way with shelties for a while. I haven't run into shelties enough lately to see if she does the same thing. Ironically enough she's lived with papillons, poms, and shelties before. She's also lived with a GSD, but I haven't tested that out.

Mia hates everyone equally. She is okay with dogs she knows, loves to lick their faces. Her BFF was a collie/aussie/bc type mix. she is also getting to where she really likes the mix in our class too. I'd guess either boxer or pit bull and pointer.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:17 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Chloe is fascinated with small dogs. She'll lay down, smack them around with her paws, and just generally treat them like she does kittens. And I haven't seen a breed she likes or dislikes most, but she also gets along VERY well with same-size intact males that don't mind playing very rough. (Although, she's gotten a lot more less physical as she's gotten older and her hip bothers her more.)

Cynder hit it off with Seabees. Not sure if that means she'll like any Lab pup I get, but I took it as a good sign. ^^

Gracie and Cooper don't have a breed preference to my awareness, but they do NOT like big, gawky, physical dogs. They hated Seabees. Cooper would hide under furniture and snark at her whenever she walked by and Gracie would cower in terror in her crate the entire time she was around. So I am *really* hoping that if they are still around when I get my pup that they'll adjust easier to him since he'll start off their size.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Top Dog

Elsie really likes other Belgians.

She also likes GSDs and tiny dogs.

Other than that she takes a while to warm up.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 PM
MyHorseMyRules

Boone looooves labs. Loves them. He will kind of pick and choose who he wants to play with usually, but there's no question when it comes to labs. He will go absolutely goofy over them.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I wanna know where you are in Ontario that you are seeing all these basenjis and bull terriers...

Rosey doesn't like dogs. She thinks she's above them. Plus, they have cooties.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13