Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I adopted Shamoo because time was convinent. I thought I'd have a year or two, we're rounding year five this winter. I'll always have an oldie, they're such rad dogs.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Well to be honest I think such a service isn't really intended for most of the Chaz folks. Let's face it, many of us are the training-/behavior-/interaction-junkies of the dog world lol.
I agree with this. I think there could be a market out there for this. I'm definitely interested in adult dogs in the future, whether they be from rescues or breeders. But I don't necessarily want a dog 'trained'... I'd just look for the 'right' dog and work with that.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Top Dog

I think the concept is great, but I think the way the training is done is very important in its success. Having a two week intensive with the trainer prior to bringing the dog home would be a must for me if I were to buy a pre-trained dog.

I LOVE adopting adult dogs. No matter how cute puppies are, nothing will convince me that they are worth the frustration!!
I will adopt a senior dog in the future, but not until I have a good chunk of money away just for them. Old dogs can be very expensive, and I want their last years to be full of comfort.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Top Dog

Yeah I guess I should add, I'm completely for adopting adult dogs. I plan to get all adult dogs, trained by their previous owners/fosters or not. I just wouldn't want to buy a dog from some sort of "we buy/adopt puppies/dogs, train them, and sell them" type program. I just wouldn't trust the methods used. I'm not against that sort of program if it were done in a positive way, I just personally have trouble trusting that sort of thing, so unless I knew the person/people doing the training and all about their methods I'd be skeptical.

I actually think running that sort of program for shelter dogs or something would be a lot of fun. Pull them from the shelter, train them manners and some obedience, adopt them out.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 10-10-2012, 07:27 PM
I'm All Ears

I guess technically Summer was trained when I got her. Housebroken, leash broken, great manners and very friendly. She could do her owner's full TDAA agility course. Lots of tricks. A certified therapy dog...

I still haven't had trouble bonding with her and we've still had a lot of fun training since then. It's still been an amazing journey and I never think of it being cut short or her being less of MY dog than Mia. Of course there are things about her that don't exactly fit me but there's things about Mia that don't either. (Did I admit it out loud? lol)

I do admit that I love raising puppies though.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I still haven't had trouble bonding with her and we've still had a lot of fun training since then. It's still been an amazing journey and I never think of it being cut short or her being less of MY dog than Mia. Of course there are things about her that don't exactly fit me but there's things about Mia that don't either. (Did I admit it out loud? lol)
Yeah I definitely wouldn't avoid a trained dog because of bonding issues. That's like when people think rescues don't bong with you, etc. Any dog you take good care of will bond with you.

And I ****ing love senior dogs. LOL. When there's room in my life (and house) for a couch-holder I'm so getting an old dog! Love them.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Top Dog

Actually there is a senior Sibe in rescue right now that I would love to adopt. He's 9 and he basically looks exactly like Lily except with more white and blue eyes. I'm so in love with Atticus its not even funny. If it were the right time to get a third I would not mind putting off the working shepherd plan for this awesome guy.

He may or may not have doggie bling because of moi.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I adopted Shamoo because time was convinent. I thought I'd have a year or two, we're rounding year five this winter. I'll always have an oldie, they're such rad dogs.
For me I'm a one person dog and while I did have two for a while I really enjoy having one dog. I have loved all my dogs when they were seniors. But I've loved the journey to get there that I've experienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Yeah I definitely wouldn't avoid a trained dog because of bonding issues. That's like when people think rescues don't bong with you, etc. Any dog you take good care of will bond with you.
I don't hear this much but I have heard it a couple times and it always shocks me. They'll comment on how close Yoshi and I are and then comment about how they are worried that rescues won't bond.

Crazy :/

Old 10-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Top Dog

I know I wouldn't have issues bonding with an adult dog. My grandmother's whippet... well, I bonded with him pretty much immediately and he was 11 months old when she got him.

Abby, who I have had from an eight week old puppy, took a bit longer to establish a really solid bond. I've always loved her and there was never any doubt that she was mine, but there were behaviourial issues that needed addressing and some emotional baggage on my side that also needed addressing and I needed a crash course in motivational training for the problem child (and owner). Ultimately it's made our bond stronger, but some dogs I just connect instantly to (Locke and Grace come to mind).

I love the seniors too, in fact I am enjoying Grace even more (is that even possibly??) now that she's just that slightly more mature lol and the greying faces just make me smile. If I wasn't so interested in obedience and other dog sport activities I'd strongly consider just having seniors. I can definitely see some in my future, other than obviously my young dogs as seniors.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:48 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
I know it might sound horrible but that does keep me from senior adoption. I mean not just that but it is a factor I think about. If one I loved needed adoption I would go for it but when you have me list out qualities I want in my next dog that's not really something I put on my list.

And I'm talking senior senior not just adult
The time you do get though? It's so worth it. I had Siren for 18 months (she was 15 1/2 when I got her) and Harv for 14 months. Loved those dogs so much and will do it again when the time is right.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?