Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Top Dog

I see no problem with paying for a nice started dog.

But i'd prefer an unstarted dog. I really enjoy doing foundation work and I've already had my starter dog to make stupid mistakes with. I mean geeze I went back to square one with her and started over with the clicker. She's so awesome and willing though, its been super fun!

I'm really more a young adult dog person than a puppy person, but they pick up SO much from their previous homes. I'd really enjoy the luxury of just starting from scratch next time. But never say never!

I didn't realize how much I'd done with my foster until I listed it all out for new momma. Omg that little dude got a real solid foundation before going to his new home, lol. They are having a lot of fun and have been working on his retrieve I guess. Apparently he likes bunnies more than balls. Funny little guy! LOL
Old 10-10-2012, 01:30 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

When my parents were looking for a dog, they were looking at young/adult pre-trained German Shepherds. They knew they didn't have time for a puppy (dad working 50+ hours a week, mom at home with a five year old, a seven year old, and two infant twins), but Mom wanted to have a dog at the house for security purposes. (Stay at home mom with four young children recently moved in a large house in the middle of nowhere with no close neighbors. She was a bit uncomfortable.)

They brought home a six month old adolescent, intact, untrained Lab puppy instead. LOL Best decision they ever made. (Although stupidest decision they ever made, too. They had no time for a puppy. He turned out perfect in the end, though.)

I definitely wouldn't fault someone who wanted to purchase a well trained, well socialized adult dog and I think there is a "market" for that. The people who would be concerned about properly "bonding" with the dog would be more of the ones that could handle raising a pup they way they wanted vs. not knowing how to handle a puppy.
Of course, you would have to make sure the dog in question accepts taking commands from you. Cynder is a very well behaved, socialized dog. I've only felt comfortable having her off leash here in the past few months and I've been around her for just over a year. She responds to Mike like a dream, but I don't give commands like he does (can't, actually - he whistles and makes very distinct noises that I can't mimic), so it took her awhile to not only respect me enough to listen, but also to learn my version of the commands.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Top Dog

I would not, but I buy dogs because I enjoy training them. Training is the point of my buying a dog. I am not going to buy a dog unless I have something to train it for.

The prices are pretty on par. Raising a dog is expensive, and if it's part of your business the time is money too. It's very common in sport dogs, schutzhund, field, herding. A well trained companion dog has a lot of training time behind it, especially if you are going for off leash reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodelDogs View Post
This is sadly very true. As a breeder, I often keep 2-3 puppies to raise up. Once I decide who to keep, I look for homes for the others. These pups are already house-trained, crate-trained, and have some basic house manners yet people will simply not pay the same price they would have for a completely untrained 8 week old puppy. I don't get it?
Charge more. Market the pup as a started dog.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:32 PM
and Spy.

I wouldn't ever buy a 'trained' dog, at least I can't see myself doing something like that now.

A note about the horses vs. dogs thing though... Horses live a lot longer than dogs, like into their twenties. While dogs can live a long life too, for a large breed dog you are looking at an average of about 12 years. Time seems to fly with the dogs I have had, so I would want to get as much time with them as possible. Tucker passed away this year at only 8 years of age - looking back I wish I had appreciated every moment more than I had So to me, since a dogs life can be such a small blimp in ours, I want to cherish every moment of it I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Water Junkie

Would I buy an already trained dog for herding? In a heart beat.

Would I buy an already trained in simple obedience dog? Most likely not, at least not at that price. Obedience is something I can train relatively easy, so it's not that big a deal.

However, I do think it is a neat idea. Some might not have the time to devote to thorough training that a dog needs, so I could see where that might be a good option to consider. It's just like sending your dog off for training, IMO.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Glutton for Crazy

The time issue makes me sad, I hope its not regarding a lack of interest in adult or senior dogs. So many will miss out on one of the best things ever with that mindset. The senior dog (rescue) is just... Bliss.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Dafuq?

Buy a trained dog? Where's the fun in that?

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 10-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Would I buy an already trained dog for herding? In a heart beat.
My parent's dog was actually. First he was a kid's 4H project as a very young dog and then some guy who had intentions of trialing him in herding bought him. And the neighbors who acted as brokers and found him for my parent's did some free refresher training with him and taught my stepdad how to use him. Now does he actually use him properly... not really... but at least they did all the right things I guess. And at least Will gets to be someone's focus instead of being a kennel dog his whole life.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
The time issue makes me sad, I hope its not regarding a lack of interest in adult or senior dogs. So many will miss out on one of the best things ever with that mindset. The senior dog (rescue) is just... Bliss.
I know it might sound horrible but that does keep me from senior adoption. I mean not just that but it is a factor I think about. If one I loved needed adoption I would go for it but when you have me list out qualities I want in my next dog that's not really something I put on my list.

And I'm talking senior senior not just adult

Old 10-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Top Dog

I wouldn't. But I can see a market for it and why someone would.

Brit & Jackson