Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Top Dog

Erm, had a dream that I had another sled dog last night. She was very light red, but brighter than Zander, and her name was Cinnebar. We were all hiking in the snow.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
Erm, had a dream that I had another sled dog last night. She was very light red, but brighter than Zander, and her name was Cinnebar. We were all hiking in the snow.
This was obviously a prophetic dream, and you must go get her now.

Mellow for a husky! Good with dogs and cats! Can be trusted in the house!
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24347630
Old 10-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Top Dog

Oh dear, she is lovely! I want to smush my face in her fluffies!
Old 10-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Top Dog

Unfortunately the preamble to their adoption app says: Effective immediately, we do not adopt to people living in apartments. We will not make an exception to this.

I live in a basement apt of a house. Its in a house, but still an apt.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Top Dog

I messaged them anyway lol, they don't adopt out of state.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Kung Pow Fish

Im thinking of getting a Sibe myself... any final warnings? lolololol
Old 10-11-2012, 06:43 PM
Top Dog

Be prepared? lol

And realize you'll never be one step ahead of the Sibe. LOL

Honestly if you'e never lived with one before I would suggest fostering through a good rescue before acquiring your own. Seems to be a lot of people on pit bull forums who've also had a sibe and every one has said they will never get another Sibe when the current passes lol.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
And realize you'll never be one step ahead of the Sibe. LOL
That. So, so that. I've seen so many trainers try to make excuses for Sibes like, "Oh, well, you just have to MAKE them do this! Or MAKE them want to do that! Or you should just totally expect it next time!"

There is nothing to expect, because you are never going to see it coming. And you aren't going to "make" them do anything.

Other than that, they really are extremely independent. They honestly couldn't care less about you, and they are more apt to figure things out themselves than follow you anywhere or take any of your praise. They get bored easy. Need tons of exercise. They will run. Period. The only ones I have seen that don't run are typically from the softer show lines. They were bred to run and they will run. Recall is a dim light at the end of the tunnel.

Oh, and they are total demon spawn as puppies. Think of rebelling teenagers. In a todder's mind. With claws, teeth, and a LOVE of chewing and digging.

That's a Sibe in a nutshell.

I would definitely recommend fostering first.

Lyz and Zander
zaner-waner-fluffy-butt <3

'05 Siberian Husky

Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Top Dog

Gawd I love sled dogs.

Apparently after I left for work, mind you both my roomies are RIGHT THERE watching Deadwood not ten feet away!, and Lily immediately stuck her head in the trash after my roomie's McDonald's bag. Oh Lily I heart you!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:31 AM
Kung Pow Fish

LOL Well straight off I only want 1. Im not looking to "get into" a new breed, I just want one thing thats bigger, fluffier, prettier, and can work and play and function for more than 45 seconds. Iv been breed-digging for a year or so now, and considered and discarded GSD and Akita, and now am looking into Mals and Sibes. Im definitely not firm, but its looking like the Sibe will work, provided I find the right individual DOG for me. I dont need something clingy, my bullies arent, and I like it better than the velcroness of the pits I used to have. I want something I can do WP with, but that is also okay with other dogs and with strange people. I dont want d/a or h/a. Indifference is fine, dangerous behavior is not. I want something not prone to the drama and hysterics and screaming and wimpyness that the GSD seems prone to. I want something built in a way that it stays sound well into 10+ years. I want something affordable (Japanese import Akita I am looking at YOU). Obedience isnt so important as long as I can get some basics, loose lead walking, pay attention to me, any kind of recall at all (like in the freaking house or yard), and training for weightpulling. I dont need picture perfect sits or downs or heeling. Iv already approached a breeder and described what I want, just waiting on a reply. I know breeds come in a spectrum, so for how sibes are, Im looking for the calmest most confident male puppy, the thinker, the one that isnt too fussed with anything, unflappable, curious, not dramatic or timid. Not physically calm like doesnt run or want to play, but personality calm. If a car backfires out front or I drop a pot on the floor, or I need to trim his nails, I dont want drama. That kind of calm.

What other traits of a Sibe do I need to watch out for? Are they particularly voracious chewers like the bull breeds, or just more "curious as cats" and into everything?