Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-05-2012, 07:16 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Stress can trigger autoimmune symptoms and addison's, IBD=autoimmune diseases. Yeah sometimes it's nice to have a vet that doesn't go crazy with all the tests, but then again the one time she's not eating, goes into hypoglycemic shock and you have to go the evet at 1am...it's going to cost a lot more than running tests to get a diagnosis you can manage. I dealt with a vet that was lax about running tests for a while and it cost me more in the long run...not to mention likely hurt the animals.

Ah yes, I didn't see she posted before me. I'm assuming he did in-house bloodwork, and didn't send it out...usually that's just a basic CBC and organ values. If you were to do a full blood panel with thyroid..that's where I would start, and work off of that. I'm looking up diagnosing Addison's..

So..in-house labwork won't really test for that stuff. Maybe a second opinion is in order. I'm surprised he hasn't offered any meds to manage the symptoms in the meantime..like metronidazole or some anti-inflammatory. I would talk to whatever vet about having something on hand like Nutri-Cal (OTC)...being so little, if she's not eating, her blood sugar could drop and go into shock.
Ha, that's what it is. Potassium and Sodium. I knew it was something that was odd, but couldn't remember what.

Some clinics do run full blood panels in house, which may save you some money. I think here it costs $125 in house.

And yup, running tests are so important, IMO. Takes a ton of the guess work out and gets you to the right diagnosis quickly without all of the, "Well, let's give this a try..."

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 10-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Is she refusing all foods or have you tried any compromises?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:48 PM
The Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Is she refusing all foods or have you tried any compromises?
She ate a whole pig's ear tonight and some cream cheese on the side, but is still turning down standard treats & kibble (dehydrated lamb's lung, liver). I find a super special pig's ear is a good tool to at least get some food into her. I'm trying not to rely too much on special delicious foods since I don't want her to feel like she just has to hold out on kibble to get something better, but she's generally so enthusiastic for her kibble I'm not terribly concerned about encouraging pickyness today.

For the longest time I thought it was a tooth issue, but with the recent heavy duty bout of diarrhea I'm not so sure any more. Sometimes she looks absolutely miserable eating kibble - tail tucked between her legs, carrying food around the apartment, etc. Her breath isn't great, but it's not bad, and the vet couldn't see much when looking at her mouth. Plus she'll tug on a cuz enthusiastically pretty much always. My fiance is hesitant to put her under for an exploratory cleaning etc unless we know a bit more.

e: I'll probably end up taking her to another vet. However, I'm not sure where I'm going to go. I'm somewhat new to the neighbourhood and the Chi didn't have a vet prior to coming to live with me. Thanks so much for giving me a bit more direction in what I can ask a future vet.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 10-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Top Dog

What about a diarrhea panel including a fecal culture?
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Top Dog

With a dog having bloody stool and diarrhea, I'm not sure giving pigs ears and cream cheese is the best idea, personally. Probably just adding to the upset. I know you want her to eat, but I would think plain chicken and rice would be the better answer. Pigs ears are very high in fat. Jackson can't handle them, he pukes, and he doesn't have a super sensitive stomach in general.

I'm surprised the vet is not taking this more seriously ... with the little ones especially, they can go downhill fast. Is she staying hydrated?

I am wondering about pancreatitis? I've known a few yorkies who have gotten pancreatitis from pigs ears in particular. And then Orijen is a food somewhat high in fat, and for most dogs it wouldn't be an issue, but sometimes certain dogs just can't handle it. It's a fairly rich food. Was she eating something else prior to living at your place?

Otherwise, I agree with every one that a blood test should be top priority.

Brit & Jackson