Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Twin 2

Naw, what would be the fun in that? Besides, I need to get out all my mistakes now so I can make even more stupid ones later. Can't do that if all the base training is already done. I'd have to go do crate games with my sister or something to make sure I get all my newb "Ooooh, shouldn't have done that" out.

In all seriousness I don't think I would enjoy it since I much prefer the act of training to the act of competing. Way less stressful and way more fun.

Could really see the market though.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:51 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Nope. I would not trust anyone else to train my dog the way I want he she trained. I want the bond, the trust, the whole show to be developed between the dog and ME. End of story there.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 10-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Top Dog

No, but that's because I really love the experience of training the dog myself. Having it pre-trained would take the fun out of owning the dog for me. (Not to say that once my dog has basic manners, it's not fun. I just like doing it, so why would I pay someone else?)
Also, I'm insanely picky with what and how my dog is taught, so that may be an issue. There's only one other person I personally know who I would trust to do it the way I like.
And for agility or other sports? No. I'm the kind of person who likes to see what goes on to get to the point something's at. The dog has amazing contacts? I want to see the process it took to get there. The dog jumps like a flying tank? Again, I want to see why.
There's definitely the awkward while where both dog and handler are giant clutzes, but I guess I always thought the point of the sports was to demonstrate what you have done with your dog. Dog sports mean different things to different people, of course.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Owned by Belgians

My first dog was a "trained" dog. He had basic obedience, and cost me $2,000. Only problem was, I wasn't the person that trained him, so it took some time to bond with him and get him to understand that I was the person he needed to listen to. He was a great dog. Lost him to cancer.

Anyway, I liked the idea as a first dog. I had no experience, and I learned a lot from him. And thankfully, I didn't have to make any bad mistakes attempting to train him the wrong way. Now I know how to train.

ETA: My second dog was my Malinois puppy.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:44 PM
The Monster.

I think I would have trouble bonding with a dog with whom I'd not been around since [their] early days. I'm definitely not a "love every dog I meet" type of person. I think I kind of need to be the centre of the dog's world from day one. Plus I maintain that the relationship I have with Cohen was forged through the many (many, many) hours I've spent training her.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 10-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Owned by Belgians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
I think I would have trouble bonding with a dog with whom I'd not been around since [their] early days.
This wasn't a problem with me. I really loved that dog and he did all he could to make me happy. He was the dog that all my future dogs had to live up to. Now that Doerak has been gone for many years, I have my Laekenois, who is "best" dog, and every dog is going to be measured to his standards.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
I think I would have trouble bonding with a dog with whom I'd not been around since [their] early days. I'm definitely not a "love every dog I meet" type of person. I think I kind of need to be the centre of the dog's world from day one. Plus I maintain that the relationship I have with Cohen was forged through the many (many, many) hours I've spent training her.
As someone who is only experienced in rescues with issues and the youngest being four month at time of adoption and the oldest being two years at the time if adoption I have no issue with not being there from day one XD

Old 10-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Owned by Belgians

So, now you got me searching online. This is not the place I got my black dog, but very similar, and with similar prices in the $2,000 to $4,000 (for GSDs) range.

http://www.trouwehond.com/dogsforsale.htm
Old 10-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Big Dog

One of the things I like the most about owning dogs is the training process. However, I would actually buy a trained dog if said dog matches what I am looking for. I don't really have a problem with the price and I guess it all depends on what breed the dog is, level of training the dog has, and method of training used by the trainer.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Top Dog

Only if it was a well-trained service dog, and even then I'd have trouble paying $7500. Not that they're not worth that much, because they totally are more than worth it, just that I would probably be more likely to train my own at that price.