Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Blackout

Default Orijen/Acana protein levels?

Would they be too high for a large breed puppy?

A lady in my training class and I were chatting casually and we got onto the topic of foods. She really enthusiastically suggested I try Katalin on Orijen 6 Fish/Adult formula - I said she's been on Acana previously and had alot of loose stool; she's currently on Firstmate large breed and doing extremely well on that so I saw no reason to change it. I've heard it's advisable to switch foods around every once in a while though - from this lady and others.

But I've also heard from my vet that high protein levels (30% +) can lead to a variety of issues (we didn't go into in depth discussion about it that visit so I can't speak for his reasoning/basis of that) - also, my breeder advised me that puppy food/food with a high caloric and/or protien level should be discontinued by 4 months. Lots of extra large breed breeders also advise against using puppy food past 4 - 6 months.

"How may I act when all present me with their partial arguments?" - Helen Mirren as Elizabeth I.

Please offer opinions/shed some light on this. Are those foods and their protien levels ok for a giant breed puppy (11 mos)? and is it necessary/wise to "switch around" foods every now and again?
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard