Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Let it be

I can see the appeal. People do it with horses. Why not dogs?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Top Dog

I would not because I love training dogs, but I think it is an awesome idea for other people. I know a couple people who would love to have a nicely mannered dog already trained. Not for that price, though. I've actually thought about raising a dog for two relatives who would enjoy the companionship of a dog but aren't knowledgeable or very into a lot of training but would still be good owners.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 10-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Top Dog

Not for those prices!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Big Dog

I could see some people liking it, but me personally I wouldn't mind it, but no way in heck would I pay that for a dog just b/c of training.

I prefer puppies to train myself, part of the bonding experience. Or rescue dogs. I don't mind working through certain issues with dogs. Plus I'm not big on formal obedience. Come when I call, sit (don't even care if it is a "sloppy"sit), down, walk ok on a leash and don't eat my house and I can live just fine with a dog. But again I prefer sighthounds who as a rule aren't big on obedience anyways! Most of my dogs "sit" for a treat. Ronon's trick is eat the cookie!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Top Dog

We've spoken tons in our agility club about how it would be great if green handlers could get an experienced dog to start out on. It's so difficult for someone who is clumsy and awkward to be running a dog who can't read signals yet, and just multiplies the frustrations and errors.

I think there could absolutely be a market for pre-trained dogs of any kind.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:46 PM
orange iguanas.

Uhhh definitely not for that price!

Personally if I were looking for an adult dog, I'd rather go through rescue. Oftentimes they already come as good companions, sure maybe there might be some things that need to be worked on depending on what exactly you're looking for in a dog. But that's fine with me. "Fully trained" means different things to different people...

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
"Fully trained" means different things to different people...
This. I've had people tell me their dog is, "Fully obedience trained" and I'm like, "Oh, does he have his Utility title?" LOL

I would likely not ever buy a pre-trained dog, for sports or as a pet. I would probably have to undo/change quite a bit. That's not because I'm teh worldz best trainer or anything, just that, I dunno, my training and interactions are really specific, especially competitive stuff, and so much depends on the dog reading me a certain way, etc. That kind of stuff.

I would, however, love to borrow an experienced agility dog to teach myself how to handle. *sigh* My greatest frustration in agility is wishing I was a better handler. LOL

Old 10-10-2012, 06:23 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Me personally? No. But I do think it is something for which there is probably a decent market. The price would have to be lower though. I think even something like $2000 or $3000 might sell. People are paying nearly that for puppies half the time. A ten month old or 15 month old dog of the same quality, who is housebroken, crate trained, walks nicely on a leash and comes when called? Heck, you've hit the holy grail for a lot of people.
I have always thought this should be. Yet often there are dogs in shelters and rescues who fit this criteria and they languish because people still have the idea they need to get a puppy for it to love them.

People will pay $$$ for a puppy yet that same puppy a few months later, and many skills 'smarter' is now worth next to nothing.

My friend who has Snip loved the fact he came fully trained. He even was skilled in JRT stuff so all she has to do is take him to a trial and he knows what to do.

IME horse people are more willing to see the value of a trained dog. Who wants to raise a weanling? VS a nicely started 4 years old lol!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:37 AM
I'm All Ears

I wouldn't but then again Summer was practically already trained when I got her as far as basic manners. So maybe I technically already have, lol. I would buy an adult if they fit what I want in a dog. But I wouldn't pay premium price for one that is already trained.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:46 AM
Fishies!

Well, you shouldn't ride baby horses, right? So there is automatically a year or two that you have to wait until your baby horse is ready. How early can you have them in an unweighted saddle learning?

Dogs you can have walking on a leash and house trained in a month or so if you're good or lucky. After that you can do most pet dog things. Sure it will need ongoing training but most dogs do. (Ruby seems to have forgotten down!)

Unless it was a big prospect for a dog sport, why bother. People buy protection dogs because they want one now, not in 2 years. Hunters who are not dog people want a dog that will find their birds. Agility? Most people wont bother because its a game they do with their dog.