Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Top Dog

Default Hitting spanking slapping popping

Rather than continually derail threads with this topic, how 'bout we hash it out?

When is it okay, IS it ever okay to hit your dog?

I admit it right now. I hit my dogs. I do it 99.9 percent of the time in play and 3 of the 4 are very rough and tumble and LOVE being smacked around. Bates also loves having his cheeks grabbed. I bite him too But not often because it suck to pick dog hair out from between your teeth.

But I'd be lying if I said I've never gotten frustrated with one of my dogs to the point of jerking the leash or otherwise trying to physically retaliate. I'm not much of a hitter, but I think if I were, I would have. I imediately felt bad though and apologized to both the dog and myself for allowing things to get to that point.

So I guess what I'm saying is I understand those moments of extreme frustration where we do things we regret. But does that make it okay?
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 10-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Top Dog

when the dog is commiting or about to commit an act which could result in death or serious injury of a person, the dog or another animal whose death or injury is NOT desirable, it is entirely acceptable to strike said dog in order to cause an immediate change in said dog's interest in the act.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
So I guess what I'm saying is I understand those moments of extreme frustration where we do things we regret. But does that make it okay?
I do not think it is ever okay unless you, other people, other animals are in danger.

I definitely lost my temper and have done things I regret, but never felt "okay" about it.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Top Dog

I think we have all been there and no it doesn't make it right. I am a 'cross over trainer', use to use some corrections, the alpha rolls, dominance etc because that is what we were taught. But I quickly got away from it, I didn't like the way my dogs were looking at me. I was annoyed with myself, I had spent my live working with horses and had figured out that being in conflict with didn't work. Had figured out that I got better results by teaching them what I wanted and using rewards. Called myself an idiot for following the dog training trends at the time and then changed it.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Silence! I ban you!

MOD HAT IN PLACE:

Based on how the other threads went, I'm going to say this now rather than later. This is the only warning we'll issue in this thread. It's a great topic for discussion. If it degenerates into name calling or other rules violations, the guilty parties will be "spanked" appropriately.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Yeah, I agree with Locke. I don't think it's acceptable in average situations, but I've done it and regretted it every second. I think when it gets to the point that physical confrontation is called for in a training or everyday behavior situation, the best solution is to put your dog away, leave the house and cool off. I know I get downright hysterical with Wesley sometimes, but I know he's just doing what is natural for a 4 1/2 month old BC puppy with too much energy. We all have things to improve on ourselves, and I think dogs help with that. What I worry about is people who get so comfortable hitting their dogs that it becomes a training tool and a frequent occurance.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 10-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
when the dog is commiting or about to commit an act which could result in death or serious injury of a person, the dog or another animal whose death or injury is NOT desirable, it is entirely acceptable to strike said dog in order to cause an immediate change in said dog's interest in the act.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I do not think it is ever okay unless you, other people, other animals are in danger.

I definitely lost my temper and have done things I regret, but never felt "okay" about it.
These.

If it is something that is putting herself or others in danger, she has been hit on the ass for it. Such as deciding to lie down in the middle of the street and refuse to budge. (I swear she can make herself weigh 500lbs when she's stubborn) Basically, if the choice is to hit or have serious consequences (in the case of the road, she is hit and injured or killed), hitting is going to win.

She also enjoys being beat for play I was actually beating up on her yesterday and she kept leaning in for more, as I was trying to prove a point to my mother Even when I HAVE hit her for things such as laying in the middle of the road and making herself weigh 500lbs, I'm pretty sure she moved because she was enjoying the "play" xD

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Top Dog

I smacked my dog, Chevelle, with her leash when she was around 6 months old to stop the zoomies. This was before I knew a whole lot about dog training. Did it work? Yes. Do I wish I would have known a better way to do it? Yes. Have I done it since I figured out the better way to do it? No.

I spanked my cat while they were in the act of peeing on my clothes. Do I regret it? Not entirely, because they stopped peeing and I was able to remove them from the pile and take them to their box. Did it work? I don't know. I just stopped leaving piles of clothes around. Didn't want to set my cat up to fail.

I popped, and still pop, my dog Malyk on the nose to get his attention when he is avoiding listening to me or giving me his attention. He is an EXTREMELY physical dog, and it's not a painful pop, nor is it really a correction. It's a "Hey dumbass, pay attention" sort of pop. He listens every time. He is easier to communicate with through physical means instead of visual or vocal.

I have also spanked my dogs another smattering of times out of anger, sure. I don't ever feel "okay" about it, but I'm human and it happens. That doesn't make me a dog abuser, nor does it mean I don't love my dogs.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

I have threatened Watson with spankings jokingly...but it is not something that would ever happen.

I have popped him on the nose before it was a situation where he was getting into something that would have caused injury and it was the only quick option to startle him away. I don't feel good about it...

I do get angry and frustrated with them at times...but I try to walk away and I never feel good about being angry with them.

Watson does enjoy a playful thumping of the chest and bottom at times

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 10-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Top Dog

I am not thinking about those situations that you react in a manner that may not be ideal but trying to stop a situation. Those are the times that what you should do often goes out the window. Training however is different, then no