Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-09-2012, 09:34 AM
& the Muttly Crew

We have a puppy so go out a lot. Every couple hours, except at night. Fortunately our schedules allow for that.

We're putting in an energency access potty area in the spring when we put in the main fence. Just a small area with good drainage that is cat- and Webster-proof.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 10-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Top Dog

I'm usually home all or most of the day, so I'd say probably about 5 or 6 times. It depends on the weather and if I'm out gardening. Then they might be outside for quite a spell. So, they're already outside. lol. That's when it's nice weather. As the weather starts getting lousy, they may go out for fewer trips.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-09-2012, 12:27 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Chloe probably goes out three or four times a day. Once in the morning, once again around three when people get home from school/work, +/- an evening potty break, and then again at bedtime. Of course, if someone is home she'll go out every 4 hours or so, but that isn't normal.

Cynder, Gracie, and Cooper also probably go out around three or four times a day. Morning, afternoon, evening, +/- before bed depending on when the evening potty break is.

And we always let them out before we leave.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Felurian

Kharma and Bimmer have the seemingly endless bladders. When I'm gone, though, I usually let Bimmer stay next door at my parents'. They like having him there (he's their favorite) and it gives him some extra attention, but normally he can go all day without a problem. When I'm home, I like to let them get out in the yard as much as possible though, so who knows how much they do then.

Shiva once went 36 hours refusing to pee when she was about 7 months old because she wouldn't pee in a strange place As soon as we got home she peed a LOOOOOONG time.

Tallulah can't go as long, although she's gotten a lot better as she's grown up, but she has a drip tray that goes under a hot water tank, lined with paper. It's especially helpful as she won't pee in the rain and sometimes if she's had extra snacks/fluids at night.

She's happy to go for walks in the rain -- she just won't pee.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-09-2012, 12:49 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Four times a day including a walk for Pepper and Victor. First in the morning, two potty breaks about 4 hours a part and a last night out around sun set. Neccy is 14 and her bladder needs are more than they are, and she also drinks much less, and urinates small amounts which worries me and tho I try to encourage her to drink more she will not. So I will say between 6 and 8 times a day for her. She is a quick out and right back in so it isn't like you have to hang outside for long periods of time. I never let my dogs out without going out with them, even when we had a fence and it helps me monitor their health when I see that all is normal or if there is a reason to have concern.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 10-09-2012, 01:12 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Mine stay out all day if there is someone home & come in at 7pm or so.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Top Dog

Matrix probably goes out around 3-5 times a day. With my future dog, short pee/walk before I leave for work, another short pee/walk before my boyfriend leaves for work, long walk/park trip when I get home from work, pee before bed.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Top Dog

We rush home if it's more than 8 hours. I'm sure she's held it for more than 10 hours before but we just worry a lot.

Usually it goes like in the morning, before we all leave for work, after work, park time, before bed.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Walks into Mordor

Generally anywhere from 2-4 times a day. More if they ask for it, but they usually don't. The average is 3 times: once in the morning, once after eating in the late afternoon, and once right before bed. They have no problems holding it for 12-14 hours, though.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Top Dog

We have a varied work schedule in the household so it's very rare that they do not have access to the great outdoors. If no one is home, they are contained in the house, with access to the outside back patio but not the whole yard. To be honest, it's not that I feel that they'd escape as the yard is secure (for these particular dogs, I'm sure an escape artist would have no trouble) but I'm actually paranoid about Abby and her antisocial behaviour (worst nightmare is her bailing some poor child up - a young kid who happened to wander into my yard... not supposed to be there of course but it would be no comfort to me if she bit someone. She doesn't have a bite history and I'd like to keep it that way).

If we go out I let them back outside straight away, but at other times they are just free to come and go. I tend to go outside with Abby last thing at night, just habit that I've never grown out of from her puppyhood. Maybe because I had some minor house training issues with her, whereas Grace just got it.