Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Top Dog

Default I want to lose weight but I'm always hungry

Any suggestions? Mostly I always have issues finding stuff to eat at lunch, and when I try to make it healthy, I'm starving 2 hours later. Then I take a greek yogurt or something and I'm starving 30 minutes later. I'm more a 'eat small meals during the day' type. But then again if I eat a light dinner I'm hungry at 9pm, lol.

I'm usually not hungry for breakfast, so I started taking some meal replacement shakes in the morning, but then I'm starving at 10.30am (when normally I'd start being hungry at 11 or something). I don't get it. I always heard that you're less hungry if you eat breakfast, it's never been the case for me.

I'm going to start working out on the treadmill again but it usually doesn't help at all, it just makes me hungrier... so I just eat back whatever I spent on the treadmill...

I hate cooking though so it's not gonna help. And I get really sick when I'm hungry, headaches, nausea, you name it. So needless to say... not very motivated to lose weight right now, because I know it's going to be very hard.

Is it hopeless? Just healthy filling ideas for lunch would be great. And snacks. And no, almonds or greek yogurts are not filling me enough when I'm starving... and forget fruit...
Old 10-09-2012, 08:23 AM
<--------Orson

The biggest problem about 'starving 2 hours later' probably depends on what you are eating.

Can you give an example of what you are eating for breakfast? Be as accurate as you can so people can help you better.
(I know we have a couple nutrition people floating around here, LOL)

Oh, and one thing I can tell you right now, plan it out! Know what you are supposed to be reaching for.........it really does help a ton
Old 10-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Top Dog

Like, a bowl of cereal. Or oatmeal. But if I have eggs, same deal. It's seriously frustrating lol.

The other day I had 2 mugs of fish soup for lunch, after having a replacement shake 3 hours earlier, 2 hours later... so hungry.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:48 AM
<--------Orson

Well for me personally, if I am getting hungry too soon after a meal I examine the meal and cut the carbs out of it. IE Cereal & milk. If I have a bowl of cereal w/milk, I will be starving in less than an hour.

I do like high fiber/bran type cereals..........but I've learned that's not a breakfast I can do, it's more of a healthy snack. I cut the serving size in 1/2 and I'll have that in between meals.

But if you say eggs do the same thing (starving too soon) then I'm at a loss.........eggs keep me full quite a while. Are you having something high in carbs WITH your eggs? Toast maybe? IDK..
Old 10-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Top Dog

eating more fiber will definitely help, and hopefully if you start exercising more it will increase your metabolism. Make sure you're drinking a lot of water, too.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Ball Thrower

High in fiber foods might fill you up better. Also, more complex whole foods. Whole wheat toast with peanut butter with fruit or yoghurt should make you feel full longer. Or you can eat low-calorie meals every two hours which is fine. Break up your calories into 6 smaller meals. Liquids absorb faster so shakes rarely leave you feeling full for any length of time, or at all. Switch out your shake for a small snack.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

I had the same issue until I started eating low-carb. I would try to make some scrambled eggs and eat some fruit (berries) with it or some veggies. You can make a very good, filling Omelette with some veggies and cheese.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Top Dog

I had this problem last year and what I would do was plan my main meals and then just have a ton of not horrible snacks for if I got hungry. There are these honey granola things I eat now when hungry and they keep me full for quite a while. You have to get use to it though. I would think I was starving and eat. In reality I wasn't I was just so use to being hungry so often I wasn't aware that I wasn't hungry I was feeding my constant wanting to eat habit instead.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Top Dog

Also when I cook I've started using more things like basil or oregano or garlic instead of salt and that has helped a lot.

And if I want something like a stew or for dinner I have something like zucchini with it instead of more meat. It fills me up without making me feel heavy and tired after eating it

Old 10-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Agree with Coop and Jules. Watch your carb intake, especially when it comes to grains. Even whole wheat will cause your insulin to spike which will make you feel like you're starving (even though you aren't.)

Try two eggs, bacon or ham, and some cheese. If you like veggies mix veggies in there too.
Stop the meal replacement shakes, those are doing more bad than good. Eat real food, not fake food.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog