Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-08-2012, 09:11 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
Three human lefts :P
now THAT is a good answer lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 10-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Top Dog

Okay, in a serious response about human rights, they come from an educated, rational and compassionate mind. Human rights come from humans.

A religion that has no commandment against rape or slavery is not one from which we should be building our moral compass. That***8217;s all I***8217;m going to say about that.

Many of our founding fathers were atheists, anti-theists, whatever you want to label them, and drafted the constitution - one of the most protective of human rights there is, from that framework.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 10-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Okay, in a serious response about human rights, they come from an educated, rational and compassionate mind. Human rights come from humans.

A religion that has no commandment against rape or slavery is not one from which we should be building our moral compass. That’s all I’m going to say about that.

Many of our founding fathers were atheists, anti-theists, whatever you want to label them, and drafted the constitution - one of the most protective of human rights there is, from that framework.
Would it be creepy to say I <3 you? Ok- I don't know if I really love you, but I love your post. This is exactly how I feel.

Romney's fiscal plan is as bass-ackwards as Obama's... so either way we're screwed. At least Obama isn't as much of an evil dictator who's plan is to reinstate Don't Ask, Don't Tell, harshly restrict planned parenthood, and destroy all hope for a more socially-accepting America.

I support your rights to have your religion. What I don't support- and will actively FIGHT against for as long as it takes- is legislation that is based on a religion that I don't even believe in. Don't like abortion? Fine- don't get one. Don't let your daughter get one. I don't care what you do- just don't tell me what I can do. Don't like gay marriage? Fine- marry a straight person. Don't attend gay weddings, don't watch shows with gay characters, don't go to gay bars, just don't you DARE tell anyone that they can't.

I don't like religion. Flat out- I think it is stupid, a huge waste of time and money, it hurts free-thinking and I just plain don't agree with it. I have every right to think that- but if I were saying "Ok- well because I don't like it, it is REQUIRED by law that no one is allowed to attend church." sound good? That is what you're doing to homosexuals. Is that fair?

Christianity is about faith, right? So what if I lack that faith? Does that mean I still have to follow the tenants of some all powerful Oz? I mean- God didn't write the Bible, so how do I even know if that is what "He" wants? Does God really condone racial discrimination, rape, murder, slavery, incest, homophobia and misogyny? If so, why the HELL would I listen to that guy?

Yeah... go back and read your bibles. All of what I just said is all in there, and I'm sorry that I don't think its "fair" to just say... "Ok, well we understand that the rape stuff is pretty bad... and I guess slavery isn't very smart... but lets leave in the part about homosexuals, because gay people are icky!"

Seriously guys... grow the hell up.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 10-08-2012, 09:59 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:

A religion that has no commandment against rape or slavery is not one from which we should be building our moral compass. That’s all I’m going to say about that.

I have some points to make on biblical side of things but I am typing from my phone so I will make them tomorrow from the computer...

But... That being said...

Human rights come from humans who also had no issue keeping slaves and still let rapists get away with it but we put more stock in humans determining rights?

If humans made the rights than humans can take them away. No matter WHAT their reasoning (religious or otherwise)... As humans we have the right to take away rights because we gave them?

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 10-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
Would it be creepy to say I <3 you? Ok- I don't know if I really love you, but I love your post. This is exactly how I feel.

Romney's fiscal plan is as bass-ackwards as Obama's... so either way we're screwed. At least Obama isn't as much of an evil dictator who's plan is to reinstate Don't Ask, Don't Tell, harshly restrict planned parenthood, and destroy all hope for a more socially-accepting America.

I support your rights to have your religion. What I don't support- and will actively FIGHT against for as long as it takes- is legislation that is based on a religion that I don't even believe in. Don't like abortion? Fine- don't get one. Don't let your daughter get one. I don't care what you do- just don't tell me what I can do. Don't like gay marriage? Fine- marry a straight person. Don't attend gay weddings, don't watch shows with gay characters, don't go to gay bars, just don't you DARE tell anyone that they can't.

I don't like religion. Flat out- I think it is stupid, a huge waste of time and money, it hurts free-thinking and I just plain don't agree with it. I have every right to think that- but if I were saying "Ok- well because I don't like it, it is REQUIRED by law that no one is allowed to attend church." sound good? That is what you're doing to homosexuals. Is that fair?

Christianity is about faith, right? So what if I lack that faith? Does that mean I still have to follow the tenants of some all powerful Oz? I mean- God didn't write the Bible, so how do I even know if that is what "He" wants? Does God really condone racial discrimination, rape, murder, slavery, incest, homophobia and misogyny? If so, why the HELL would I listen to that guy?

Yeah... go back and read your bibles. All of what I just said is all in there, and I'm sorry that I don't think its "fair" to just say... "Ok, well we understand that the rape stuff is pretty bad... and I guess slavery isn't very smart... but lets leave in the part about homosexuals, because gay people are icky!"

<3
More love for Danified and Owned.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:09 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I understand that many posts about the bible, God and Christianity is really meant to put Christians on the defensive. I will not be on the defensive about my faith. I see a lot of misunderstanding when it comes to the bible, what it says, the old testament vs the new testament... Etc etc. that's ok.

You vote through your moral compass where ever that comes from, my moral compass comes from my faith... How can one demand I ignore my moral compass just because they don't believe in where mine comes from?

You could make a law saying Christians can't go to church but that wouldn't stop Christians from believing anymore than laws can stop gays from
Loving. Look at areas in Asia. LOTS of religious persecution there but there are a lot of very powerful believers still believing happily despite not being allowed to practice openly

And despite what anyone thinks... I love all of you even if you vehemently disagree with me

G.K. Chesterton

Old 10-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post

Well, we have to make sure it's legitimate rape first...
Old 10-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post

Well, we have to make sure it's legitimate rape first...
All i have to contribute now.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 10-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
You vote through your moral compass where ever that comes from
That's just it, I try very hard not to vote with my own personal moral compass. I try very hard to vote in a way that allows people to continue on letting their moral compass guide them without letting that personal compass intrude onto others.

When you let your moral compass (be it god(s), the bible, your lack of a god or bible or whatever) dictate what other people can do with their own lives and bodies, as long as it does not infringe on others, is when I start having major issues with your moral compass.

Though, I guess you could very well argue that my moral compass is the belief that other people should be given equality and the right to live as they see fit as long as others are not being harmed or infringed on.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

But see... "as long as others aren't being hurt or infringed upon" can be pretty subjective. Now with that statement I am not talking about Gay rights but a multitude of other issues being voted upon in this election. There are a great many things to be dtermined with this election with EITHER party that is going to infringe on someone in some way or hurt someone in some way. Who and how and whether it is ok is subjective.

G.K. Chesterton