Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Top Dog

Okay, I suck... I don’t know!

Someone is always up before 6 in this house and whoever gets up lets the dogs out in the morning. After that, its anyone’s guess. If they ask to go out they go out. If they ask to come in, they come in. They have two slave children who mindlessly open and close doors at their bidding. Its kind of funny to watch how well trained the kids are actually.

They go for about 10 hours at the most on days we both work, but most of the time DH comes home at some point (to potty - the irony) and lets the dogs out.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 10-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Top Dog

A typical work day, Buddy, my essentially crippled old lady will go out three times a day in the yard to potty and sniff around.

Obi gets a moderate walk in the morning, and a very long walk at night. He refuses to poop in our yard, so it's either long walk or he poops in the basement...
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:00 PM
such sights to show you

Well it varies a lot from day to day, because we always let them out right before we leave the house and right after we get home. So that depends on how many times we come and go in a day. And when we are home we will let them out whenever they ask.

Absolute minimum on my long work days is 3 - when I get up, when I get home from work, and before they go to bed.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post
About five to six times a day usually. In the morning first thing, then right before I leave for work, then sometime in the afternoon if my brother comes home, then when my mom gets home, then after supper and again right before bed. They don't really need to go out that much probably, but I feel better letting them out often. They never ask though unless they really desperately need to go after drinking too much after playing.
That's pretty much how it is here. My guys go out quite often, especially if it's nice. Now, on days like today where it's been cold and rainy, they've gone out.. 3 times so far, and I'm getting ready to let them out before we go to bed in a minute. Usually though, it's 5/6 times daily.

Some of that is because Piper does have incontinence issues, and the more I let her pee, the better that is. Mostly it's because I'm weird and think that for some reason they need to go out a bunch of times during the day.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Just try me..

If Dekka is crated she can hold it 8 hrs or so. If she is doing things she will hold it about 4. So it makes a big difference what is going on. When I am home they go in and out every few hours. I can't imagine only peeing twice a day myself! lol.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Zander has a bladder of steel, too. He can hold it an easy 10 hours, and has held it up to 17 hours before.

The only time he HAS to go out is when we wake up. But I feel like that's more routine than anything else.
I've thought about it and I think 3 times is about it for Yoshi.

But I know she can hold it longer if need be.

Zander sounds like Yoshi in that regard XD

When I first had my allergic reaction and was really sick for the next few days I couldn't get up at all and was at my dad's place. I think Yoshi went out once a day and that took my dad grabbing her and dragging her outside and standing there to make sure she went because other than that she didn't leave me.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Top Dog

I can't fathom being forced onto a schedule myself, so I try not to force my dogs onto one.

Meg is one of those "can hold it forever" dogs. Gusto actually holds it pretty well too. But they are used to being with my mother all day when I'm at work (she's retired), so they don't usually stay home alone for more than a few hours at a time. They don't have a set schedule, as I said, but pretty typical is:

5:30 - out with me for a pee before breakfast.
6:30 - quick walk with me for a pee/poop if needed.
9:30 - down to the green/short walk with my mother.
1:00 - down to the green/short walk with my mother.
4:00 - I get home, outside for either a hike/training session, or to the barn.
7:00 - outside for a quick walk/play on the green before total darkness sets in.
10:30 - last outs before bed.

Meg will pretty much always at least pee when she's outside. Gusto sometimes is having too much fun being alive to take a moment to pee, but goes most of the time he's let out. Meg never asks to go out. Gusto will sometimes, and he always at least pees if he does.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Blackout

We walk about 2 - 3 times a day for at least around 45 mins per time. Katalin gets all her bathroom use out of those walks and is good about holding it in between them. She can hold it for a solid 10 hours nowadays though anyway.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 10-08-2012, 10:14 PM
<--------Orson

90% of the time I (or someone) am home or he's with us. I'd say on a normal day, he asks/goes out about 5-6 times from waking to bedtime. This isn't counting a walk cause he normally doesn't like going potty on walks.

He's easily gone 8 hours holding it in the crate, but generally if we are going to be out for the day without him, he's in his outdoor kennel (inside the privacy fence backyard)
Old 10-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Top Dog

I let Gavroche out first thing in the morning since he has urinary issues (around 6:30am). Then both dogs go out when I get home or if I work all day my mum lets them out (around 12:30). Then they're in and out for about an hour, they have access to go in and out as they please. If Logan is going to class with me, he gets walked before we go, and I let him pee just before we go into the building. Then when we get home (3pm) they go outside again, and I either take a nap or do whatever. Then they usually don't go out again until sometime between 9pm and 11pm. They go out one more time just before bed, between 12am and 1am.

I'm comfortable letting my dogs hold it for 12 hours, though they usually only do so overnight.

If I don't have anything to do, they usually go out between 12pm and 1pm, again at about 4pm, then at 10 or 11pm, and last call at 1am.

My mum is almost always home, so if they need to go out at some point when I'm not home, she lets them out.

Logan is given a chance to pee/poop before we enter any building.