Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Top Dog

Default How often do you let your dog/dogs out?

Reading the cat threads I started to wonder this.

So many people talk about having to rush home to let their dogs out. I've never really had to worry about that. I'm gone for work all day but if I need to do something like get groceries I don't really worry about leaving Yoshi that extra half an hour/hour.

Even if I'm a little late it's not like Yoshi is busting to go outside any way. I can ask Yoshi if she needs to go out and most of the time she doesn't even want to go out for another hour or so.

From the other thread I just got the vibe that everyone lets their dogs out A LOT and thinking the dog can hold it a little longer is just out of the question.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Um... when she asks to go out? Usually once or twice a day. Unless it's raining. then she just won't go out.

Though, she also goes on 3 hour-long minimum walks a day, so she does her business then too

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Frodo has a bladder made of steel. I can be gone for 10 hours and he's still not asking to go out.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Top Dog

My dogs have always been the "when someone gets home we must go outside" type. And if something is off schedule (like today when I had to take Ms. Red to her eval) and I don't get home until an hour or more past normal, they say they REALLY have to go.

At this house, I just leave the patio door open while I'm home if it's nice out so they go in and out at will. But they go out first thing in the AM and first thing when I get home and if nothing else, we have last outing before bed.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 10-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Top Dog

Today we had off for Columbus day, and Lucy went outside to pee 5-6 times. During the week when we're at work, she goes out at 7:00 (when I leave), at 8:30 (when DH leaves), at 4:30ish (when I get home), goes on an hour long walk sometimes before dinner, and goes out again before bed. Sometimes there are extra outside times if she needs to go. So...yeah, easily 5 times.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Resident fainting goat

I'm not even sure if my schedule is more about dogs needing to go out or just..my schedule lol but they go out 3 times a day.

Morning (7am), Lunch time (2 pm) and evening (6pm)

We've skipped the lunch time break and the dogs were fine.. but I prefer not to. Sometimes they pee when we go out for lunch so I always feel like if I DON'T get them out they are sitting around holding their pee lol but either way, it's never really a rushed I HAVE TO GO kind of thing. Usually they are more excited for the fresh air and off lead time then just rushing to go to the bathroom.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

As for how many times, usually 3, sometimes 2.

When we get up, right before I go to work, and before bed. If I sleep in then the first 2 turn into one.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

All three of my dogs go to work with me every day so they generally don't end up having to hold it more than 6 hours or so except at night. Every so often they go 8-10 hours at the max and they are fine.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Um... when she asks to go out? Usually once or twice a day. Unless it's raining. then she just won't go out.

Though, she also goes on 3 hour-long minimum walks a day, so she does her business then too
Yoshi is kind of like that. If it's raining she'll run outside but once she realizes it's raining she's trying to get back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Frodo has a bladder made of steel. I can be gone for 10 hours and he's still not asking to go out.
XD This is Yoshi. I know on some Saturdays we'll both sleep in and if it's cold or rainy it's a chore to get her to go out and go. Even though I'm sure after sleeping all night and playing/eating/drinking in the morning she HAS to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Today we had off for Columbus day, and Lucy went outside to pee 5-6 times. During the week when we're at work, she goes out at 7:00 (when I leave), at 8:30 (when DH leaves), at 4:30ish (when I get home), goes on an hour long walk sometimes before dinner, and goes out again before bed. Sometimes there are extra outside times if she needs to go. So...yeah, easily 5 times.
:O that's crazy to me!

Yoshi usually goes MAYBE 3 times. But once she starts asking 4/5 times it's pretty easy to see that she doesn't have to go she just wants to play.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Silence! I ban you!

Xena goes out in the morning whether she asks or not, then when the kids get home from school, when I get home from work and before I go to bed. And, of course, any other time she asks.