Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Top Dog

Default Traits you like in cats vs. dogs

While thinking about the other cat vs. dog thread I thought it odd how people dislike certain cat traits that I feel like they probably like in dogs.

So, are there any traits you want in a dog and would hate in a cat? Or traits you love in cats but wouldn't like in a dog? This can be personality traits or physical traits.

For me...

Vocal- I love vocal cats who beg with their voices and will respond to you talking to them by talking back. I like quiet dogs, I hate when dogs bark at me to get me to throw a ball or something like that.

Playfulness- I like really playful dogs. It is one of my requirements when choosing a dog, I would not be happy with a dog who didn't like to play or was difficult to get playing. Tug is especially important. In cats I really don't care. A less playful cat might even be better because they tend to get into less trouble. Same goes for activity level, I like higher energy dogs but don't really care about a cat's activity level.

Otherwise things are similar. I like needy cats and dogs, attention hogs, not even remotely aloof. I like easy to handle pets, I wouldn't like a cat that I worry about touching in the wrong place, same with dogs. Physically I like short coats on both, athletic looking bodies, not squishy.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Let it be

I prefer both to be non invasive and quiet, but shadows. I like pretty similar things though i do like a dog to be more playful though.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

The only difference I can think of is that I don't like cuddly dogs but I love cuddly cats!
Oh, and for cats I like more compact and stocky builds (I like Tonkinese and British Shorthair body types, not Orientals and Rex types), but in dogs I love the really athletic dogs like greyhounds and pointers.

Other than that I like the same things I think:
-Playful
-Quiet
-Shorter Coats
-Voracious eaters, lol

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Not a Border Collie

I love my lazy, cuddly easy going kitten but I love an active and athletic dog. Although I do like a cuddly dog, if I had a dog as cuddly as this kitten I think I would get a little annoyed over time.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 10-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Top Dog

I guess I kind of like traits to be similar in cats and dogs...not over the top busy or energetic, not so lazy they're boring either. lol. I like a little bit of vocalizations but not incessant or loud. Jose` has some pretty cool sounds he makes that aren't barking. So, I like those. And cats....as long as they're not demanding or annoying...a little chirp and a little meow at times is fine and cute. I like how they talk back. I had one cat, April, who would answer back the same number of chirpy noises I made....like little short meows. If we made the sound twice, she did it twice. If it was 3 times, she repeated 3. Too funny.

I like to see a little curiosity in both animals. I think it's a sign of intelligence and it's amusing too.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Top Dog

Well - the best cat I ever had was an Egyptian Mau (aptly named 'Maui'). He was the best. He was playful, snuggly, talkative (at the right times), über friendly, smart as a whip (he knew tricks!), he was protective (as a teen if i got in trouble and I was getting spoken to he would get between me and whoever), had energy but when it was time to relax, he was all up on that lol. I would love for my future dog to have all or most of these traits. But there will never be another Maui.

If I ever feel the need to get another cat, I would have to say I would want a Siamese (Traditional - not the new style) or just your run of the mill shelter kitty. But it would have to be a big ol' tom cat.

I think I could handle a talkative kitty, but not a talkative dog, an energetic kitty but not an over exuberant dog. I think I am middle of the road on my dog traits lol. But definitely not that way with cats. I would hate to have a middle of the road or low energy cat.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." - Samuel Butler
Old 10-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Oh, and for cats I like more compact and stocky builds (I like Tonkinese and British Shorthair body types, not Orientals and Rex types), but in dogs I love the really athletic dogs like greyhounds and pointers.
I freaking love lean and long dogs and cats. Orientals, Rex, Sphynx..drool. And then sighthounds are the most physically appealing dogs to me.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:35 AM
Top Dog

Quiet, playful, goofy. I don't like a serious dog or an aloof one. My dog has got to have a sense of humor, like me I like a happy go lucky, smart, and eager to please dog. I like a dog that's under my feet, loving, cuddle bug.

Cats...well I just like mine