Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Walks into Mordor

Default Autumn day + weekend = COOKING!

It's the first genuinely cool day of fall. It's about 45 degrees outside right now, and the high is supposed to be around 50. It's a thing of beauty.

And me being me, I decided that the weather is perfectly conducive to cooking. Something about cool weather always triggers a cooking frenzy in me. So, I invited friends coming over for dinner.

I have bread dough already rising on the counter so I can make the garlic bread. I have a kettle of tomatoes from my garden simmering on the stove to make sauce for the lasagna. A little later, I'll make some fresh pasta for the chicken alfredo. Salad fixings are already in the fridge. And I'm debating about either a coconut cake or a pecan pie for dessert. Mmmm. I can't wait!

Anybody else start cooking when the weather gets cool?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:14 AM
<--------Orson

I like cooking 10000000x more when the weather turns cool too! LOL I tend to avoid the oven as much as possible in summer months for obvious reasons.

We started having fall weather a week or so ago, and since then I've made fresh bread 2-3 times, baked pork chops and made pot roast. YUM, I do love cool weather food just as much as summer grilling........and I'm raring to go as soon as it gets here! LOL
Old 10-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Walks into Mordor

Mmmm, pork chops. *drool* I have to admit, while I love a good steak or barbecue, I generally prefer winter foods to summer foods. Homemade stews are my favorite. LOVE it. Or roasts. Like that pork roast recipe I gave you awhile back, Coop. Hot slice of pork roast, rice and homemade gravy, with some steamed veggies? One of my favorite meals EVER.

Drat. This thread, combined with all the delicious smells, is really making me hungry.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Top Dog

Its been cooler here for about a week. And yes the oven is starting to get used alot more. Last week I made zuchinni bread, tonight its baked mac and cheese and meat loaf. I have been crazing some good roast. Just need to find it on sale. All last week I spent drying some apples and tomatoes.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Top Dog

I am not much of a cook *references the I caught a potato on fire thread* but I do put a little more effort in when it gets colder. I made crock pot beef stew over night. Not much work but it is time consuming getting everything peeled and cut up.

I DO make pumpkin cake cookies every October though. Getting ready to make some of those within the next week

Old 10-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I made spicy lentil soup for lunches next week, and beef casserole in the slow cooker for tea
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 10-07-2012, 03:03 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Same here. LOVE the cool weather and it always makes me want to cook and bake and be housewife-y lol

right now I have a chicken carcass simmering on the stove making the chicken broth for my chicken and rice soup. it takes all day to make it but it is so delicious and smells SO good cooking all day.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 10-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Top Dog

I can't wait until the weather gets cooler here. It was 91 today where I am. I keep seeing all of these pumpkin recipes and apple recipes and awesome roasts on Pinterest - and I just can't get into the mood to making any of it lol.

Everything mentioned in this thread sounds soooo good!! Especially the pumpkin cake cookies. Would you mind sharing your recipe?

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." - Samuel Butler