Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Felurian

I remember that. I cry every time I think about her, too. I never met Jazz in person, like I did Cleo, but I am so grateful to you and Linda for loving them so much.

When you are the Fila's, and the Fila is yours, that's it, pure and simple.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
for someone who wants a low maintanence, independent pet that doesn't need a whole lot of attention.
I think saying this about any pet is a really easy way to set up a fail. Yes some pets are more independent but to say they don't need a whole lot of attention... I'm sorry but why get an animal if interaction with it isn't something you want?

For me pet ownership is about bonding with an animal and interacting with it. I know there are pets with limited interaction but for those I don't think I'd say most were low maintenance.

I have honestly never met a low maintenance cat. Even my friends cat who HATES people and could probably go it's entire life without seeing them is pretty high maintenance and that's just care and not including interacting with him.

I think saying that cats are independent, low maintenance, and don't need much attention does a huge disservice to cats and gets them into hands of people who shouldn't have a pet in the first place because they see them as a 'feed and go' house ornament.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:28 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

I wasn't suggesting a cat for someone who doesn't want companionship period... Merely someone who is seeking a different kind of companionship.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
I think saying this about any pet is a really easy way to set up a fail. Yes some pets are more independent but to say they don't need a whole lot of attention... I'm sorry but why get an animal if interaction with it isn't something you want?

For me pet ownership is about bonding with an animal and interacting with it. I know there are pets with limited interaction but for those I don't think I'd say most were low maintenance.

I have honestly never met a low maintenance cat. Even my friends cat who HATES people and could probably go it's entire life without seeing them is pretty high maintenance and that's just care and not including interacting with him.

I think saying that cats are independent, low maintenance, and don't need much attention does a huge disservice to cats and gets them into hands of people who shouldn't have a pet in the first place because they see them as a 'feed and go' house ornament.
I mean in the way for people who may work a lot, and want a pet they can interact with when they get home... Not for someone who purposely neglects their animal. I have a friend who works 12+ hours a day and his cat has worked out perfectly for him. And cats are low maintenance in general, compared to other animals. I'm not saying it as a statement by itself, but as a comparison. Compared to a dog, a cat is a lot less needy. (In general.)

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Top Dog

When people say cats are low maintenance they don't mean they are air plants. They also don't mean it as a law... of course there are cats that are totally nuts... they are living things, there are no hard laws.

I've had a highly annoying cat that kept me awake all night knocking crap over, trying to smother me, crying etc if you didn't wake up to service him. However I haven't met another cat like him. Other cats I've had slept, ate, wandered around a bit, slept some more, climbed to some place high where they could watch stuff, slept, cuddled, attacked stuff/me. Really they were easy easy animals and that goes for most cats I know. I never thought to myself "you really have to get home to attend to the cat's needs" (can't recollect ever hearing that) and nobody ever had a problem.

Not the same with a dog. You have to let it out, train it, you have to sacrifice time out of your day to walk it.

I've always free fed cats and never had a weight problem but I know that doesn't work for everyone. If it does that's one more thing you don't have to worry about. And of course you spend time cuddling, playing with it etc but neither myself nor anybody I know has had to set aside time specifically for their cat.

Last edited by Xandra; 10-06-2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: I love how you spot spelling mistakes after you've been quoted.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Top Dog

Well... I know people that have set aside time for their cat.... I wonder about those people...LOL!

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post

This on so many levels. My cat could take care of himself, sure, but without the human interaction and attention he'd die.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 10-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Top Dog

I'm actually reading the thread "Only working dogs are real dogs" and here are some quotes from it that I think explain it pretty well

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToscasMom View Post
I really take umbrage to people who get cats and TREAT them like they are...um...ornaments, and then judge them as ...ornaments. If you treat cats like they are not there, they will do what they have to do to adapt. It all has to do with how you raise them, same as dogs. They do have self respect, and all the more, it's a serious compliment when they love you. Some people have a problem with that, because for a cat to love you, you have to actually earn its trust. But once you do...it's a great experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boemy View Post
Yeah, actually "ornaments" is exactly how a lot of people treat cats! If you expect them to be aloof and never try to make friends with them then of course they'll be aloof and cool towards you.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
When people say cats are low maintenance they don't mean they are air plants. They also don't mean it as a law... of course there are cats that are totally nuts... they are living things, there are no hard laws.

I've had a highly annoying cat that kept me awake all night knocking crap over, trying to smother me, crying etc if you didn't wake up to service him. However I haven't met another cat like him. Other cats I've had slept, ate, wondered around a bit, slept some more, climbed to some place high where they could watch stuff, slept, cuddled, attacked stuff/me. Really they were easy easy animals and that goes for most cats I know. I never thought to myself "you really have to get home to attend to the cat's needs" (can't recollect ever hearing that) and nobody ever had a problem.

Not the same with a dog. You have to let it out, train it, you have to sacrifice time out of your day to walk it.

I've always free fed cats and never had a weight problem but I know that doesn't work for everyone. If it does that's one more thing you don't have to worry about. And of course you spend time cuddling, playing with it etc but neither myself nor anybody I know has had to set aside time specifically for their cat.
Good post.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I know quite a free people who work 12+ hours a day and who have dogs. I know plenty of people who free feed their dogs and their dog is at a healthy weight.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13