Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Oh good I knew that thread was around somewhere but it didn't pop up in my search for some reason - glad you posted it!

This brings back so many memories. I can't say I miss tripping over spatulas in the middle of the night. And, I forgot about him tearing up the wallpaper...
Old 10-06-2012, 11:09 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I totally agree! It is mind boggling how many Mals need foster homes.

FWIW Roust never needed taught an off switch. And we play in house even He is a high drive crazy boy but if nothing fun is going on he can chill. Some people find their's don't. There really is a lot of variation in the breed with individuals and lines. The main thing to be aware of is they are quirky dogs. Sensitive but intense, needy and obsessive, happy, goofy guard dogs who have a hard time containing their enthusiasm. Fostering is a great way to see if you really mesh with the quirkyness...or if it will drive you crazy.
Different breed I know, but Izze was like that she could settle (once she got older when she was young she would jump to her feet if I so much as changed positions on the couch, so I did a lot of shifting around & ignoring her to desensitize her to it & it worked .

@StardogsI looked on google but couldn't find any rescues that had dogs near me in Texas (San Antonio & surrounding areas) but if there was I would jump at the chance to foster . Thanks for the thread links by the way.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
You forgot this thread: So you think you want a Malinois... http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117960

My two Malinois have turned out to be polar opposites. Harry was a poster dog for every scary thing you could encounter. He was reactive, had no off switch, was nearly impossible to contain
Yeah...Roust jumped the fence yesterday to get to me in the yard (we have a little yard and a big yard, I was in the big yard with Savvy). I fully blame Savvy for showing him that fence jumping was a possibility to start with. Until Savvy came none of my dogs ever tried to go over the fence. Savvy right away said "a fence is merely an obstacle". The older dogs said "you aren't supposed to do that!" and Roust said "Huh...you know...you're right!".

Off to make the little yard fence taller. -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
Stan is everything Harry is not. He's still wild and energetic, but he's so happy. He's never met a stranger. He doesn't alarm bark at all. The only time he makes noise is when he's really happy excited about something. He's Dug from Up as a real dog.
I met two of Stan's brothers last weekend! Both very happy, wild dogs. Pictures to come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Different breed I know, but Izze was like that she could settle (once she got older when she was young she would jump to her feet if I so much as changed positions on the couch, so I did a lot of shifting around & ignoring her to desensitize her to it & it worked .
LOL well...the leaping up at any sign of action is often a lifelong thing for Belgians. I've never really given it much thought or tried to train them out of it though. Just "nope sorry, went to the kitchen to get a drink and I'm not opening the door" while pointy dogs stare in disbelief. "I coulda swore she was going to open the door!"
Old 10-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Backup is very respectful of boundaries, he has to have one this going for him.
Sloan is a toughie though, we have had 6+ foot walls since we've had her and she loves to perch on them. She will test her crates every day, we joke that she's a raptor checking the fences. After Tucker, the master fence escape artist, and Arnold, the crate eater, this isn't a hardship but merely a part of life.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:16 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Lol Josefina is a fence escaper so she is never out unless I or someone is home, if no one is there they are inside ... Better safe then sorry. Buddy has a tendency to escape if there is something really interesting but that's only happened a couple of times & he goes under not over. We patched the loose areas & it's stopped... He's too lazy to try too hard LMBO.

Izze was a major escape artist, she'd even go through hot wire & if there wasn't a hole... She'd make one IN THE FENCE :S. but that was all while she was staying with my folks for a while without me. As long as I was there she didn't misbehave but as I said my dogs are never out when no one is home.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I forgot but you have ACD, right?

Old 10-06-2012, 12:29 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I forgot but you have ACD, right?
Yes, why? They are both rescues tho (don't know if that's relevant lol). Izze was from a breeder.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Yes, why? They are both rescues tho (don't know if that's relevant lol). Izze was from a breeder.
They're pretty similar, not much about Malinois will phase you then.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:45 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Also which sex should I get? I have both makes & females here that get along with either sex. When info get a puppy, it will be spayed/neutered when the time is right for sure.

What are the generalized personality differences btw male & female malinois?

With ACDs females are usually less lovey dovey, & males are more so. Females tend to be tougher physically & more dutiful: there is a saying "females love you but males are IN love with you" lol. Also I have read that it's best if you are female to get a male dog, & vice versa is there any truth to this?
Old 10-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Yeah...Roust jumped the fence yesterday to get to me in the yard (we have a little yard and a big yard, I was in the big yard with Savvy). I fully blame Savvy for showing him that fence jumping was a possibility to start with. Until Savvy came none of my dogs ever tried to go over the fence. Savvy right away said "a fence is merely an obstacle". The older dogs said "you aren't supposed to do that!" and Roust said "Huh...you know...you're right!".

Off to make the little yard fence taller. -_-

Harry went over a 6 foot fence the first time at 4 months. He just did a Spiderman running strait up it and going over when he saw a cat on the 2nd story balcony of the building behind us. Other than that, he would stay in the yard when we were home, but couldn't be contained if I wasn't there. I had related this story in the thread I had linked to...

I picked up Harry & Grant from the boarding kennel Sunday evening. I chose this particular kennel because they have indoor/outdoor runs. They even have a couple that have lids on them inside and out, just for containing spaz dogs like Harry. Imagine my shock when I discovered that he had escaped their Super Deluxe Escape Proof Kennel a couple of times. Fortunately, his escapes were in the indoor portion of his run. I guess the Saturday morning kennel attendant showed up for work, and was surprised to find Harry waiting for her in the kitchen. They assume that he crawled through a hole in the lid that wasn't very secure, dropped in the the run next to him that contained Grant, and then jumped out of Grant's uncovered kennel. After they reinforced that spot, he just started tearing at the chain link on the kennel door, and got out that way.

They later told me that they found him in the kitchen several times before they figured out how he was doing it.

Quote:
I met two of Stan's brothers last weekend! Both very happy, wild dogs. Pictures to come

I can't wait to see them! Which two did you meet? From what I understand, Stan is the smallest. He was the tiniest puppy, but seemed to have caught up when I got him at 3 1/2 months. Green (now Rune) and Blue (can't remember new name, Ranger maybe?) were still there when I got him, and he was nearly their size. I suspect that he's going to be a little guy. I weighed him on Wednesday, so he's now 43.8 lbs at 10.5 months.

Quote:
LOL well...the leaping up at any sign of action is often a lifelong thing for Belgians. I've never really given it much thought or tried to train them out of it though. Just "nope sorry, went to the kitchen to get a drink and I'm not opening the door" while pointy dogs stare in disbelief. "I coulda swore she was going to open the door!"

They can't bear to miss anything!

Quote:
With ACDs females are usually less lovey dovey, & males are more so. Females tend to be tougher physically & more dutiful: there is a saying "females love you but males are IN love with you" lol.

I think that's a good description of Malinois, too.