Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 10-05-2012, 11:06 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Default Sisterhood + Cookie's Bird Intro (Squick Warning: Dead Bird)

Anything Mira can do...

...Cookie WILL do too! (and now she's big enough that the holee roller doesn't drag on the ground or trip her...not that that ever stopped her)

Mira is almost too forgiving of the puppy. Cookie will grab on to whatever Mira is carrying and Mira will give it to her rather than warn her off. Puppy license abuse. So when I toss the holee roller for da baby, Mira will stand off to the side and watch intently with her tail wagging until I throw too far and then swoop in and grab it before Cookie arrives and race back to me with her prize. Then go back to her post and wait for the next opportunity.

But sometimes she tries for one that isn't far enough and MacNut gets there in time to latch on...so Mira lets go and looks all sad while the Cookie Monster runs back with her contraband, pleased as punch and without an ounce of contrition.

Also, last weekend I introduced Cookie to retrieving birds. First timer so I put the long line on just in case. Didn't need it but better safe than sorry. She did a dozen marks of 30 to 90 feet long and did great, straight out and straight back. Ended the session with her still jumping eye-high and demanding a dozen more. Very pleased with her first effort.

3-Part series:

1/3: The running pickup, eyes looking for me around the bird wing

2/3: Next stride, turning for home

3/3: "Imma delivery grrl!" Immediately after this one I had a lapful of puppy and bird

Macadamia Nut the Mighty Retriever

Good Flatcoats!

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 10-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Top Dog

That's wonderful!

Elsie was the same way about toys with Zoey when Zoey was tiny. "Oh, you want the awesome meaty bone? Kaaay... :[ "

I'd never thought much about how bird dogs were trained; that's really cool to see!
Old 10-05-2012, 11:41 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

You sure make me miss the old days and all the wonderful wonderful labs I was privledged to work with. Love times three your pics and green with envy for your time with retrievers.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 10-05-2012, 05:15 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
I'd never thought much about how bird dogs were trained; that's really cool to see!
It's really very fun to watch their instincts switch on. About two weeks ago now I could really see her switch from getting something because it's moving (prey drive) and then happening to bring it in my direction because hey people are fun to hang out around to very intentionally dashing out to get something with the sole intention of bringing it back to me as quickly as possible. Her only reward for retrieving has been praise and the opportunity to retrieve again and she is hooked. The bird scent had her completely over the top but her goal continued to be bring it back to the human. She nailed a 200+ foot tennis ball retrieve earlier this week too which is quite a distance for little 4 month old legs. She's a very good little puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
You sure make me miss the old days and all the wonderful wonderful labs I was privledged to work with. Love times three your pics and green with envy for your time with retrievers.
Retrievers are just nonstop fun, I agree Did you own retrievers or whose did you work? Glad you loved it either way!

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
Old 10-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Twin 2

Love the little copycat! The picture with Mira in the background and Cookie running away with the toy is perfection.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:54 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Love the little copycat! The picture with Mira in the background and Cookie running away with the toy is perfection.
Haha thanks that picture is just SO very much Cookie. Poor Mira, Kim, and Webster are not going to mourn when she goes home I don't think lol...they are all being really really good with her (I'm actually amazed just how good they are being) but I have a feeling their collective reaction in December will be mingled sighs of relief and "don't let the door hit your tail"

Old 10-06-2012, 08:35 PM
swimming upstream

they are both so beautiful--really!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:17 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter'smybaby View Post
they are both so beautiful--really!
Thank you!