Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahlzK View Post
I'm not claiming to know anything about Saluki's but the ones claiming he is on the 'skinny' side, do you know anything about the working Saluki? And how fit they need to be for what Teal does with him?

Actually, yes, I'm very familiar with Salukis. As a matter of fact, my uncle has three. And I felt from looking at the one picture, it was to skinny, even for it's breed.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 10-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Top Dog

Does he compete with them?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahlzK View Post
Does he compete with them?
With one of them, yes, he does.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 10-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Top Dog

Cough.. 'working' dogs also need nourishment and energy to do their work properly.

TOO thin.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Top Dog

Until I learn more about Saluki's I can't say much on the matter but I do know how much Bukra is adored by Teal and I know he has plenty of energy, he has to for the work he does.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Cough.. 'working' dogs also need nourishment and energy to do their work properly.

TOO thin.

WAY to thin. Good Lord, how can THAT be justified?

Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Look, I haven't joined this thread for a reason, but I WILL say, a dog can be entirely too skinny and still have a ridiculous amount of energy. Knox lost entirely too much weight when Indy was in heat because he wasn't allowed to be around her, and he would pick at his food in between screaming fits when she wasn't there.

He ended up loosing a few pounds, which he can't afford to anyway, because he's a lean dog to begin with. He still ran around the yard, played ball, did training/hiking and had plenty of energy. That doesn't mean he wasn't too skinny.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

This thread makes me unspeakably sad...

For the couple of people that seem a little thick...

When a living creature is starved there are many things that happen to the body and can have lasting effects. It is not just the loss of mass, but also a wasting of muscle as the body begins to cannibalize itself. A side effect is dehydration which can cause damage and eventually failure of the kidneys.

The body becomes desperate to feed and run the essential systems so it takes away from less necessary functions.

Multi-organ failure and death are the end result. It is slow, sad, and painful. One can not miss the obvious signs and symptoms unless one is blind or too callous to care.

And it isn't just that... to deprive a living, breathing creature of closeness, affection, and a feeling of being safe is a whole other crime altogether.

It makes my heart hurt...

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 10-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Look, I haven't joined this thread for a reason, but I WILL say, a dog can be entirely too skinny and still have a ridiculous amount of energy. Knox lost entirely too much weight when Indy was in heat because he wasn't allowed to be around her, and he would pick at his food in between screaming fits when she wasn't there.

He ended up loosing a few pounds, which he can't afford to anyway, because he's a lean dog to begin with. He still ran around the yard, played ball, did training/hiking and had plenty of energy. That doesn't mean he wasn't too skinny.
Exactly. When my husband first found Charlotte as a stray, she was horrendously emaciated. And yet, she still had endless energy and was acting as if nothing was even wrong.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Fishies!

If anyone wants to know what a sighthound should look like, find pictures of the top racing greyhounds. Some ribs show, yes, sometimes some hip bone, but they're usually pretty muscled over. You don't normally see spine.

You can count vertebra on that saluki.