Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-04-2012, 08:51 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Ethical Question

Ok so I am casually looking at breeds and breeders for Nextdog. Will be really looking probably 2014ish but am kind of scoping out a few avenues.

One breeder was recommended to me in a certain breed. I did some looking and it looked good. Did some more digging and found something on a page that made me pause. I can't decide what my ethical stance is on it. It's a litter from a solid colored dam to a popular double merle sire (not bred by this breeder). I already know where I stand on merle x merle breeding but I am not sure about this. I know there is no risk for the litter being that the dam is solid colored. But I really don't know that I could support a breeder that is in a way supporting merle x merle crosses. Even if their breeding isn't a danger, they're clearly okay with other people breeding merle x merle. Then I think I am being silly because there is no real reason for me to not like breeding to a double merle that I can think of. He's not going to pass on his double merle-ness to his pups. But then again....

It was also several years ago that the breeding was done. And they don't seem to breed for color as their other litters are the full range of colors in the breed. It's just enough to make me pause. Thoughts? I'm thinking at the moment that it might just be a sign that it's not the breeder for me.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

If it gives you pause dont do it.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Behavior Nerd

I know you said they don't appear to breed for color, but that breeding does really scream that color *is* a high priority. Perhaps ask the breeder about the reasoning behind that cross? His/Her opinions may have changed since the breeding was done as well.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I know you said they don't appear to breed for color, but that breeding does really scream that color *is* a high priority. Perhaps ask the breeder about the reasoning behind that cross? His/Her opinions may have changed since the breeding was done as well.
Yeah that was one thing I thought of. Since it was years ago maybe their opinion has changed. He's a very commonly used stud.

It seems like many breeders in the couple of breeds I'm interested in have ethics that don't match up with mine. I don't expect everything to be perfect, it never is. I'm still trying to figure out what is a deal breaker.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Top Dog

I would ask as well, and how long have the breeders known that the double merles were a huge risk?
Old 10-04-2012, 10:16 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
I would ask as well, and how long have the breeders known that the double merles were a huge risk?
How do you mean? As far as I know, the only issue would be not being able to do eye tests on the stud for things like CEA. Maybe there's something I'm missing though.

More I think about it the more I am thinking it would be a deal killer for me.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:27 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I assume she means, did the breeders at the time not realize the risks assoiated with MM. Apologies if I've misinterpreted though.

If it makes you a bit nervous, I'd ask them about it. If it makes you really uncomfortable or you aren't willing to have that conversation, look elsewhere. Just my two cers though.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 10-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Not a Border Collie

I'd ask them about it, too. Might not be in the first email, but definitely a little later on in your discussions. Perhaps they are fully aware of the risks of breeding merle x merle and don't ordinarily support it but the stud in question was a perfect compliment, they looked a long time for his 'equal' with no luck, and they felt that the pro of producing the litter was greater than supporting whoever bred this double merle stud. That to me would be acceptable, but of course everyone has different opinions. I do wonder what their reasoning is behind their decision.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 10-04-2012, 11:45 PM
Love My Mutt <3

It would be a deal breaker for me.

If it's giving you pause, I'd look elsewhere. Though I'd want everything perfect

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I assume she means, did the breeders at the time not realize the risks assoiated with MM. Apologies if I've misinterpreted though.

If it makes you a bit nervous, I'd ask them about it. If it makes you really uncomfortable or you aren't willing to have that conversation, look elsewhere. Just my two cers though.
Yes, that is what I meant I personally have no idea how long it has been known as a risk. To give the benifit of the doubt, if that cross was done prior to that knowledge then it wouldn't bother me. But I would still ask to confirm is the timeline was questionable.