Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-04-2012, 04:29 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Something I always wondered about those statistics...

Does a 1% chance mean 1% overall no matter how much sex you have?

[…]

And if there's a 1% chance every single time you get intimate, each time independent from the other, then statistically even with birth control you will get pregnant once every 100 times you have sex.
Depends on how they quantify failure. If pregnancy=failure then yes, but say in the case of condoms if failure is defined as the condom breaking/leaking, then that is only true if you would get pregnant 100% of the time you have sex without that BC, which we know is not the case.

I don't know which is meant, so just throwing that out there

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 10-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Behavior Nerd

The crap about not letting women be sterilized on their request before x, y, and z conditions are met is RIDICULOUS. I had to fight to get an IUD for pete's sake and that was only a 5 year period and could be removed at any time, but there is a risk of problems that would result in sterility. I just do NOT get why doctors and insurance companies think that they know better than the woman requesting services when it comes to family planning.

On my comment about available BC, yes, condoms are available pretty easily, BUT if you want to double up BC, then you still need access to the pill (which can be difficult as several PPs have said), or be informed about charting, etc. There's an extreme lack of education on the full line up of options out there as well!

Old 10-04-2012, 04:40 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I fully agree that sterilization should be given to those who want it above the age of 18... with the caveat that the doctor can not be held responsible if that person changes their mind later in life. that is the reason it is so hard to have it done. I am all for sterlizing people who want it that are of legal age.

Until then... going without a "normal" part of adult life to prevent a pregnancy is the choice one may have to make even if it sucks

And as always I am ALWAYS for personal responsibility. if you are an adult... it is not someone else's job to educate you on something when the information is readily available. "Well no one TOLD ME" is rarely a good excuse for anything lol ask the law

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 10-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
I fully agree that sterilization should be given to those who want it above the age of 18... with the caveat that the doctor can not be held responsible if that person changes their mind later in life. that is the reason it is so hard to have it done. I am all for sterlizing people who want it that are of legal age.

Until then... going without a "normal" part of adult life to prevent a pregnancy is the choice one may have to make even if it sucks

And as always I am ALWAYS for personal responsibility. if you are an adult... it is not someone else's job to educate you on something when the information is readily available. "Well no one TOLD ME" is rarely a good excuse for anything lol ask the law
It doesn't work that way in the medical feild. Under that logic, you are saying every woman induced into labor with Cytotec and lost their child and/or their lives was completely their fault.

As a healthcare provider, the top priority is GIVING INFORMATION. If it wasn't, why bother having doctors?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:53 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

yeah that irks me, i can see a"oops" kid if you are taking procautions (fiancee & I use condoms CORRECTLY, because i can't use pills... cant tolorate them) but five or six? come on! what sucks more is I have to pay for them!!! I choose not to haave kids becsause i cant affod them & still i end up having to pay for someone elses git! horrible & infuriating to the point where this person was getting tons of crap at this ice house i was in line to pay for gas at saying "Oh its ok, i can put it on my star card!" i actually tapped her on the shoulder & said, "Your welcome" when she looked at me like i was crazy, i told her that MY taxes pay for what she is getting & that i thought i was owed a thank you... she got out of there pretty quick. LOL

i wish i could upload this image of a posting called "the $50 lesson" but the attachment program wont accept it.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Obey the Toad.

Haven't read the last few pages, but I think the OP mentioned that the family in question had bought a house but had not sold their other home. If they were able to get a loan in this housing market for a home, and pay two mortgages I would say that they can afford another child but right now they are strapped due to the house situation....

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Top Dog

I think the failure rates are over a one year period. So they mean one percent of women using X method get pregnant over the course of a year.

I could be wrong though.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Top Dog

Yes, the failure rates are based on yearly statictics. So they aren'y really accurate at all. Failure rates are based on how many women use the method and how many ended up pregnant.

X out of Y women. Not per each woman.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:09 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
In my case, the first failure was spermicide X condom. We were using it correctly, but the condom broke and I don't know what the deal was with the spermicide. Maybe the store sold expired stuff. I don't know.

It wasn't a disaster. We were trying before that without success, and were only trying to prevent a kid because I needed dental work. Oh well.

The second time around we did NOT use the same type, I was on the pill. And the geniuses at Planned Parenthood gave me a pill pack that was 7 months expired. They don't work when they're expired. -.- I wouldn't hesitate to use the pill again because the cause was determined, but I'd definitely be checking the dates before starting a pack.

Like I said, crap happens. There's not only one type of birth control failure.
Bev was being a stupid teen and on meds I couldnt take BC on and had sex with my then fiance. We had a good life and could support a kid easily BUT he decided to leave us and I had to quit my job because I was pregnant.

Morgan was BC that was expired and I had no clue until we were pregnant. Savannah was a total different kind that we WERE using correctly.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-04-2012, 05:23 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I am extremely responsive to birth control. I have been on it off and on since 15, definitely had times where I was not taking exactly correctly (as far as same time everyday, some days i would even forget and take two the next day) and never had it fail. I did get pregnant once prior to hannah but that wasn't a BC fail that was a being responsible fail and most here know how that ended.

I have not been on BC since I found out I was pregnant with Hannah and have pretty mich been following my ovulatiOn cycles and what not and no surprise yet. My body is pretty easy to plan around lol. I am super regular. But we realize this is risky and know a baby is totally possible and we are prepared for that just in case

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney