Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-04-2012, 05:17 AM
Top Dog

Around the house I might refer to myself as his mommy but in public I refer to myself as his owner.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:40 AM
<--------Orson

Kevin and I are his owner. He is our dog. For the most part, we do not attempt to anthropomorphize him.......though it can be hard not to since he listens and understands better than our kids half the time, LOL

But.....

Seeing as how Orson has grown up with the kids and has ALWAYS heard Kevin and I being called Mom and Dad, it's not uncommon for one of us to tell him "Go see Dad" or "Give this to Mom" Simply because he understands exactly who we mean more quickly and effectively.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I think we had a similar thread recently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
Around the house I might refer to myself as his mommy but in public I refer to myself as his owner.
^this

I used too ONLY refer to myself as owner, but after working at a dog daycare for a while and having to get used to referring to dog's owners as mom/dad I've caught myself referring to myself as mommy more often than not.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 10-04-2012, 07:44 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Personally. I prefer "I'm Fido's person" and Fido is my dog. For example. Simple as that.

I don't LOVE the whole parent/child dog thing. To me it's a totally different relationship, more-so than the fact that they aren't children.. to me it's more of a partnership than parent/child.
It's not insulting dogs to say they aren't kids, heck, if anything I'm GLAD they are nothing like kids lol I just think the relationship is very different. Not necessarily closer or better.. just different.

I don't like furkids.. the term just skeeves me out a bit lol

I like the idea of being partners. Friends. So him or her person/my dog works for me lol
I don't like owner really, I mean, it's fine.. but it just seems a bit..old school. I know my dog is MINE but still, owner doesn't cover the relationship as much as I'd like.

Perhaps it's a pet industry thing but I've gotten VERY VERY used to the whole mommy/daddy thing. I haven't heard that much "furbaby" stuff though. Mostly it's still just "our dog" but we refer to them and they refer to themselves as "Fido's mom" kind of thing.

THIS. Totally. I consider Jackson my partner-in-crime. I don't really like the word owner either. And it's not that I'm some PITA-loving freak who won't use the term or anything... I'm with you, it just kind of... seems wrong, because I don't consider myself an "owner" like he's property.

I don't think I've ever referred to myself as his mom or mommy (except for my screen name, of course). But in real life? No, I don't think I ever have. I've had other people refer to me as that (ex: my dad will take Jackson to "go get your mommy!") but to be honest? He knows MY mom as mommy, haha, not me. Because he hears my young sister call her mommy and we live here.... so yeah, he knows when I say "mommy's home!" or "go get mommy!" who I'm talking about.

I also cannot imagine using furkid or furbaby... I am pretty sure I would get laughed at so hard in real life.

In general, Jackson is just... 'Jackson' though. Friends and family know who he is, so if I'm ever talking about him, I just use his name. If it's someone I don't know, I'll say "oh, my dog did this..." etc.

Brit & Jackson

Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
Kevin and I are his owner. He is our dog. For the most part, we do not attempt to anthropomorphize him.......though it can be hard not to since he listens and understands better than our kids half the time, LOL

But.....

Seeing as how Orson has grown up with the kids and has ALWAYS heard Kevin and I being called Mom and Dad, it's not uncommon for one of us to tell him "Go see Dad" or "Give this to Mom" Simply because he understands exactly who we mean more quickly and effectively.
This Granted I definitely anthropomorphize her sometimes

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 10-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
This!

I've never called myself "mommy" while out in public. I'll refer to myself as their owner.

I always tell the dogs "your daddy's coming home!" when he pulls into the neighborhood, and they get SO excited. They definitely know us as "mommy" and "daddy."

I do call close friends and relatives of mine their "aunts" and "uncles" though. Haha. JessLough is Auntie Jess

Fur kids (and skin kids, for that matter!) really creep me out, though.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 10-04-2012, 08:32 AM
The Monster.

At home and out and about I call myself "owner" and if I'm currently working my dogs I think "handler" is appropriate. And in kind, I call my dogs dogs, monsters or by their names. I'm pretty anal about anything cutsie or patronizing when it comes to those sorts of titles.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 10-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Same here. I do sometimes refer to my puppy buyers as "Mom" or "Dad" and myself as "Breeder Mommy". Pet people seem to prefer that and it doesn't bother me.

I generally refer to them as dogs but I sometimes add that they are part of my family.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Mommy/Daddy or best friends/other halves if only to annoy people who hate it. I find some perverse pleasure in being "more than" a pet home and yet still enjoying my dogs in a sticky sweet way.

I own my dogs, of course, but I rarely call it as such. I find myself saying I live with, I have, or I work. It just feels right.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Top Dog

I call myself 'Mommy' with Gambit, because he's the epitome of a Mama's boy. He's dependant and needs me.

I was Argon's Buddy. He was more like an entitled houseguest who enjoyed making trouble with me then an owned creature.

I'm Shiva's foster Mommy, though by Saturday I'll be the former foster Mommy.

Like Skittldoo, thought, I've gotten a lot worse after working at the doggy daycare, where I can't remember most of the owners names (I usualy work the back, with the dogs), and most of them laugh and introduce themselves as So-and-so's Mommy.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.