Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-04-2012, 01:07 AM
Blackout

Default Daddy/mommy or owner/handler?

How do you refer to yourself or prefer to be referred to in terms of your position as a dog 'guardian'? Likewise other way around - how do you like your dogs called? furbabies, baby, daughter, son etc or simply just dog?

I hear alot of 'mommy/daddy' around these parts - a select few older folks prefer owner/master/companion. I myself for all intents and purposes refer to myself as Katalin's companion/owner - occasionally as 'mommy' though. But she's always just been "the dog". I'm pretty much constantly called her mommy though and she's been called my daughter on more than one occasion - I'm pretty indifferent to both *shrugs*. My brother calls us the bitch team though lol - that's the most accurate out of everything.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 10-04-2012, 01:08 AM
Top Dog

My animals are my companions
Old 10-04-2012, 01:11 AM
Top Dog

Owner.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-04-2012, 01:13 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Slave.

ETA: Oh wait, I mean, I'm totally referred to as their slave.

Call Rosey a dog and you get stared at... so she's referred to as Rosey...

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-04-2012, 01:13 AM
*Now with Snark*

I own my dogs - they own me too.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:15 AM
Resident fainting goat

Personally. I prefer "I'm Fido's person" and Fido is my dog. For example. Simple as that.

I don't LOVE the whole parent/child dog thing. To me it's a totally different relationship, more-so than the fact that they aren't children.. to me it's more of a partnership than parent/child.
It's not insulting dogs to say they aren't kids, heck, if anything I'm GLAD they are nothing like kids lol I just think the relationship is very different. Not necessarily closer or better.. just different.

I don't like furkids.. the term just skeeves me out a bit lol

I like the idea of being partners. Friends. So him or her person/my dog works for me lol
I don't like owner really, I mean, it's fine.. but it just seems a bit..old school. I know my dog is MINE but still, owner doesn't cover the relationship as much as I'd like.

Perhaps it's a pet industry thing but I've gotten VERY VERY used to the whole mommy/daddy thing. I haven't heard that much "furbaby" stuff though. Mostly it's still just "our dog" but we refer to them and they refer to themselves as "Fido's mom" kind of thing.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:17 AM
Top Dog

Informally, we joke around and call me the dog's "mummy" and they're my "kids" but that's just with family and at the clinic. Formally, I prefer owner/handler or just plain companion.

Actually I have just now decided my dogs are my companions. Because my car is the TARDIS. So I travel in the TARDIS with my companions
Old 10-04-2012, 01:18 AM
APBT crazy!

My dogs and cats are my companions.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:30 AM
and Spy.

My dog is my sidekick, my co-pilot. We are partners in crime

Having said that though, when Spy was a jerk to Tucker I would tell him to be nice to his brother, and sometimes when he does the waggy tail, lovey dovey eyes when I get home I say "come see your mumma! But generally, no mummy or furkid or baby stuff around here lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:34 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post

I don't LOVE the whole parent/child dog thing. To me it's a totally different relationship, more-so than the fact that they aren't children.. to me it's more of a partnership than parent/child.
It's not insulting dogs to say they aren't kids, heck, if anything I'm GLAD they are nothing like kids lol I just think the relationship is very different. Not necessarily closer or better.. just different.
This.

My kids are my kids and my dogs are my roommates.

Really though, when I'm just talking to people I say "my dogs". I think of them as partners/teammates sort of, mostly because of the handler/K9 partner thing. But that also extends to when they're off duty. We watch each others backs.