Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
Ok I'm going to admit. As someone who is adopted the fact that you think adoption means selling and buying a child is incredibly offensive
Sadly, Yoko, there are private adoptions that are essentially that. People who want to adopt a newborn of a specific ethnicity, for example.

It doesn't mean they aren't going to love the child they adopt, just that they can afford to set up a private adoption, often arranged before the child is born.

Other scenarios happen as well, like same-sex couples who would have a difficult time adopting through regular channels.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-03-2012, 04:53 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
So you should, I don't know, PLAN FOR IT. Have a cushion. Its not that hard.

Guess what. I HAVE BILLS TO PAY TOO. I could get kicked out of my house. I could be rear ended on the freeway. So because I decide not to have kids because I can't afford it, I should have to pay for somebody else's kid? Problems don't only crop up when you have kids. It can happen to anybody.
You can plan for it and something goes wrong. Sorry but thats life.

We had 500 saved up months before Morgan came and ALL our bills paid for 2 months when we had Morgan. Dad had his accident. There went the fund to cover us just in case. Jeremy had to take a week unpaid at work, our emergency funds were tapped money was TIGHT. We sold something on ebay to cover Connors birthday. Only to find out you dont get the money right away. Thankfully someone let us borrow the money and pay it back. If dad hadnt of had his accident that NEVER would have happened.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-03-2012, 04:54 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoe08 View Post
I think that planning a child when you can't afford the child you have (that includes celebrating their birthday...doesn't mean you have to spend a fortune on it) is completely irresponsible.

I do not think you need to be rich to have children, but I do believe you need to be financially responsible. And that means not living on government assistance.

Yes people can get pregnant while on birth control though it is rare, especially if used properly and you use 2 forms of birth control if it is a really bad time to have another baby (which is anytime you really can't afford it). And situations can change, but it is also why I do believe you should have an emergency fund before planning to have another baby and really you should have one no matter if you have children or not. But I believe the money should be in place already before planning to get pregnant.

We are not financially well off and there are a lot of things I say I can't afford, but that's because we do have an emergency fund, and try to keep funding it. I however would never say I couldn't afford to buy my child a birthday present or anything that they NEEDED.
We used 3 and SURPRISE.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild16 View Post
We used 3 and SURPRISE.
Not saying it can't happen, just saying that the MAJORITY of people who have "accidents" aren't using birth control properly or doubling up.

I believe that it can happen....I just had a freak out thinking it might have happened to me (test was negative though), I just don't think that everyone who has an "accidental" pregnancy can blame it on birth control failure.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Top Dog

True, but using multiple kinds of BC isnt always healthy either so can't really blame someone for that IMO.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoe08 View Post
Not saying it can't happen, just saying that the MAJORITY of people who have "accidents" aren't using birth control properly or doubling up.

I believe that it can happen....I just had a freak out thinking it might have happened to me (test was negative though), I just don't think that everyone who has an "accidental" pregnancy can blame it on birth control failure.
No, they certainly can. Condoms break, most women aren't educated on what medications may make your birth control not work, IUDs and Implanon depends entirely on the doctor placing them. Things like Depo can wear off weeks before another dose is due. Some doctors have given women low dose hormone therapy, when they needed full dose for pregnancy prevention. Even more than one type of birth control, without telling a woman that she shouldn't use both, because it would render both useless. It's a combo of a lot of things. Plus just regular fail rates.

Birth control failure is actually fairly common.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sadly, Yoko, there are private adoptions that are essentially that. People who want to adopt a newborn of a specific ethnicity, for example.

It doesn't mean they aren't going to love the child they adopt, just that they can afford to set up a private adoption, often arranged before the child is born.

Other scenarios happen as well, like same-sex couples who would have a difficult time adopting through regular channels.
I understand it can happen but to put it out there like it is the norm, which it isn't, makes it harder on families who go through a legit adoption agency.

They already go through questions like when are they going to have their real child, how they could love the child even though they didn't give birth to them, along with other personal asinine questions. There is one where a parent of an international adoption is asked if they just wanted an Asian doll. Things like this where people who have no idea continue to push the image of children and babies being 'product' just makes another hurdle adoptive families run into.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild16 View Post
You can plan for it and something goes wrong. Sorry but thats life.

We had 500 saved up months before Morgan came and ALL our bills paid for 2 months when we had Morgan. Dad had his accident. There went the fund to cover us just in case. Jeremy had to take a week unpaid at work, our emergency funds were tapped money was TIGHT. We sold something on ebay to cover Connors birthday. Only to find out you dont get the money right away. Thankfully someone let us borrow the money and pay it back. If dad hadnt of had his accident that NEVER would have happened.
Yeah but you didn't go and try to get a 3rd kid in these conditions, lol. That's the difference.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:21 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27 View Post
Yeah but you didn't go and try to get a 3rd kid in these conditions, lol. That's the difference.
Actually Morgan was number 3

Old 10-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Top Dog

Yeah sorry I didn't count the first one... lol. Ok, I meant 4th