Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #501  
Old 10-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Red Chrome's Avatar
Red Chrome Red Chrome is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
No offense taken. I do feel that puppy looks perfectly healthy. It's highly recommended that large breeds are kept lean during growth. And really, a growth spurt could result in a puppy looking super skinny suddenly. The breeder is a show breeder and obviously they prefer fatter dogs than working people. I know a certain Kelpie puppy, Limit, who has gone through some crazy skinny phases where he looked just as thin as Bullseye does there... thinner even! But no one would accuse his mom of anything but amazing care of her digs. An owner who doesn't care enough to feed her puppy some kibble isn't going to take that puppy on socialization outings, take professional photos of them, and keep them for months even when the breeder neglects to answer their calls and ignores their requests to return the puppy for weeks. A malnourished puppy isn't going to be running and playing with other pups.
While Limit may have went through growth spurts, he always looked healthy and happy,vibrant. Bullseye looks sick in Jairi's pics. His coat lacks shine, his eyes look sunk back and he just looks like a neglected dog. Those are the only 2 pics of Bullseye with Jairi in the last month she had him, she only had him 2 months!!!! The breeder did NOT ignore or neglect to answer their phone. They answered the call as soon as it was received. They drove to pick the dog up ASAP. The breeder received a total of 2 calls during the time he was with Jairi.
__________________
Osyrius SilverChrome GTOVonMarionHaus-OFA H/E DM Free CGC DDJ RN BH
WBBs BleauChrome Lady of TheCopa-CGC STARR Naughty RockStar
The BlackChrome Executioner VonMarionHaus-Puppy Terrorist
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Reply With Quote
  #502  
Old 10-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Lyzelle's Avatar
Lyzelle Lyzelle is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,659
Default

Keeping a dog lean, a skinny dog, and an emaciated dog are all very different things. Could a pup drop that weight in a week to 10 days, given a decent amount of stress and lack of basic care? Or even a growth spurt? Yes. 3 days, not really. There have been plenty of times Macie was lean, Macie was skinny...but never emaciated. As quick as they can drop weight, they can also pick it up just as fast. As the breeder said, 14 pounds in a week. That's no easy feat for many dogs.

That pup was at least in that ribby condition 8-12 days BEFORE the breeder picked him up, which would have been plenty of time to pack the weight back on. And considering his lack of muscling, I do not chalk it up to him being "lean". Maybe Teal is just flat ignorant on how much weight a large breed pup should be in? Saluki's look skinny and borderline emaciated. Filas, in no way, shape, or form, EVER should.
__________________
Zander and HarleyQuinn
Reply With Quote
  #503  
Old 10-02-2012, 04:56 PM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default

I suppose we'll have to disagree on what is healthy dog care with IHG.

It happens.
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #504  
Old 10-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Locke's Avatar
Locke Locke is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,688
Default

Maybe this is a stretch, but when my sister's eating disorder got really out of hand, I hadn't noticed her drastic weight drop at all. Now, when I look back at pictures I can't believe I could have over looked something so obvious. I'm pretty sure it was because while it was a very dramatic change, it happened somewhat gradually, and I didn't notice the daily/weekly changes because they were so "small".

Perhaps this is a similar situation?
Reply With Quote
  #505  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Romy's Avatar
Romy Romy is offline
Taxiderpy
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 9,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Keeping a dog lean, a skinny dog, and an emaciated dog are all very different things. Could a pup drop that weight in a week to 10 days, given a decent amount of stress and lack of basic care? Or even a growth spurt? Yes. 3 days, not really. There have been plenty of times Macie was lean, Macie was skinny...but never emaciated. As quick as they can drop weight, they can also pick it up just as fast. As the breeder said, 14 pounds in a week. That's no easy feat for many dogs.

That pup was at least in that ribby condition 8-12 days BEFORE the breeder picked him up, which would have been plenty of time to pack the weight back on. And considering his lack of muscling, I do not chalk it up to him being "lean". Maybe Teal is just flat ignorant on how much weight a large breed pup should be in? Saluki's look skinny and borderline emaciated. Filas, in no way, shape, or form, EVER should.
I've got borzois, and raised a litter of puppies over the summer. They can hit a growth spurt and get a little bit ribby over the course of a couple of days. A LITTLE. None of them EVER got to the point where you could see more than two or three ribs when they were resting. And they NEVER got to the point where you could actually count their vertebrae. Ever. No dog ever should. Even skeletor-looking azawakh never get to where you can count vertebrae. The spinal column should be wrapped in muscle.

Besides, those are sight hounds and not mastiffs. Large breed puppies should be on the lean side, but what goes along with that is great muscle tone and a healthy coat. A dog that is lean because it's getting the right balance of food and activity will always have a healthy coat. A dog that is lean because he's malnourished will have a crappy coat.

ETA: the breeder shows in IABCA shows, which lean much stronger toward working dogs in working condition. So just because she shows doesn't mean she favors keeping dogs heavy.
Reply With Quote
  #506  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:05 PM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is offline
Obey the Toad.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 4,971
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Maybe this is a stretch, but when my sister's eating disorder got really out of hand, I hadn't noticed her drastic weight drop at all. Now, when I look back at pictures I can't believe I could have over looked something so obvious. I'm pretty sure it was because while it was a very dramatic change, it happened somewhat gradually, and I didn't notice the daily/weekly changes because they were so "small".

Perhaps this is a similar situation?
I guess I just don't understand how THAT much weight loss on a pup can be missed for so long. Your sister wore clothes, and you were not responsible for monitoring her development I'm guessing. This was a short coated puppy whose growth should be watched and noted. I could see a pup getting a little ribby and not seeing it right away, but that was far more than a little ribby....
__________________

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~




Labs do it in the lake.


Reply With Quote
  #507  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:07 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
While Limit may have went through growth spurts, he always looked healthy and happy,vibrant. Bullseye looks sick in Jairi's pics. His coat lacks shine, his eyes look sunk back and he just looks like a neglected dog. Those are the only 2 pics of Bullseye with Jairi in the last month she had him, she only had him 2 months!!!! The breeder did NOT ignore or neglect to answer their phone. They answered the call as soon as it was received. They drove to pick the dog up ASAP. The breeder received a total of 2 calls during the time he was with Jairi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Keeping a dog lean, a skinny dog, and an emaciated dog are all very different things. Could a pup drop that weight in a week to 10 days, given a decent amount of stress and lack of basic care? Or even a growth spurt? Yes. 3 days, not really. There have been plenty of times Macie was lean, Macie was skinny...but never emaciated. As quick as they can drop weight, they can also pick it up just as fast. As the breeder said, 14 pounds in a week. That's no easy feat for many dogs.

That pup was at least in that ribby condition 8-12 days BEFORE the breeder picked him up, which would have been plenty of time to pack the weight back on. And considering his lack of muscling, I do not chalk it up to him being "lean". Maybe Teal is just flat ignorant on how much weight a large breed pup should be in? Saluki's look skinny and borderline emaciated. Filas, in no way, shape, or form, EVER should.
These.

Remember, Teal said HERSELF that she was having a hard time giving "it" BASIC care, she said HERSELF this "animal" is not easy to live with.

I honestly don't think that people thinking the dog got into such a state with her is jumping that far. She was having a hard time even bothering to feed him!

Do I think she purposely did it? No. Do I think she meant for it to happen? No. Do I think she should man up and admit that maybe it happened? Absolutely.

ETA: Personally, referring to a pet as "it", "animal", etc. is not a sign of a person who is caring properly for a dog or cares for it's well-being.

Hell, I've had my fair share of rescues that I absolutely did not get along with. I still managed to feed it, give it the attention it needed, and call it by it's name (I'm using "it" now as general, not a specific animal).
__________________
Ella: 2 1/2 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~7 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #508  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Red Chrome's Avatar
Red Chrome Red Chrome is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Do I think she purposely did it? No. Do I think she meant for it to happen? No. Do I think she should man up and admit that maybe it happened? Absolutely.
This^^!
__________________
Osyrius SilverChrome GTOVonMarionHaus-OFA H/E DM Free CGC DDJ RN BH
WBBs BleauChrome Lady of TheCopa-CGC STARR Naughty RockStar
The BlackChrome Executioner VonMarionHaus-Puppy Terrorist
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Reply With Quote
  #509  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Lyzelle's Avatar
Lyzelle Lyzelle is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
I've got borzois, and raised a litter of puppies over the summer. They can hit a growth spurt and get a little bit ribby over the course of a couple of days. A LITTLE. None of them EVER got to the point where you could see more than two or three ribs when they were resting. And they NEVER got to the point where you could actually count their vertebrae. Ever. No dog ever should. Even skeletor-looking azawakh never get to where you can count vertebrae. The spinal column should be wrapped in muscle.
I didn't mean to compare sighthounds all across the board. I was comparing to her dog, specifically, where I can count the vertebra, ribs, and see prominent hip bones. And it's not an uncommon thing I see, but I understand not ALL sighthounds and sighthound people feel the same on that subject.
__________________
Zander and HarleyQuinn
Reply With Quote
  #510  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:23 PM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default

Sloan was too skinny.





I also took her to the vet (like the breeder supposedly did), ran every test we could think of, and changed her food until we found something that didn't make her poop liquid. Malinois are notorious for scrawny puppies but she was too skinny for comfort.

Being that skinny can happen but why wasn't the owner taking the pup to the vet out of concern? Did they just let it go knowing the pup would be going to a new home soon and it's easier to let the new owner deal with it?
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site