Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

Nice dog you should get her!

You could probably teach her to alert bark, though I sure wouldn't depend on a Sibe for being protective LOL.

Both mine are awesome trackers (both have foundation in sport tracking and hunt on their own in the pasture) and good around my cats and our livestock (they are never loose with the stock either though), but they definitely want to eat strange small furry things. Lily very politely begs for the rodents/birds/etc. at the pet store... incidentally with that very same look the dog in that second ferret/sibe pic has.

My honest answer? While I'm willing to manage sled dogs (and other high prey drive breeds) around my personal cats, there's no way in hell I'd step out and get some weasels, bunnies, chickens, hamsters, etc. etc.
JMO though!

And also my girls definitely show their GSD sides a LOT and the main reason Scout eventually bonded with my cat was definitely the GSD sense of "mine." They are both very good watchdogs and Lily will alert if a stranger is messing around outside. She doesn't say anything if its someone she knows. Again thats sooooo not the Sibe half of her. I really got the best of both breeds with her, the sibe goofiness and woo-woo's and the GSD brain, velcroness, and biddability.

Lily does have a daily running requirement. If she doesn't get her minmum daily mileage she starts chasing her tail obsessively. And she'd be more than happy to do mental and physical work literally all day. not all are that high maintenance, but I did end up with two because my friend's mom wanted a dog like Lily.

I think you'll be fine though. Just make sure you are very careful on containment and keeping leashed.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I love you for knowing that, Pops. <3 Absolute love.
i'm feeling whelmed (not overwhelmed or underwhelmed, just whelmed) & i'm not even french.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Top Dog

She's beautiful!

I haven't known very many Sibe alert barkers, but I have found them to be 'stress' barkers/talkers.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:07 AM
Taxiderpy

With two varmint killing zois, I'm no stranger to leashes and fences. lol

They're pretty good at wearing out other dogs too, if there's a day here and there where I can't go running. Put in an app yesterday, but will see if they reply or not.

There was also a fila puppy on craigslist and well... haven't heard back from them either though.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Top Dog

I figured you were, its just habit now to given the token containment warning lol.

Guess if they aren't meant to be they aren't meant to be... either would be pretty awesome though.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Taxiderpy

Haven't heard back from either. There's some longer term plans in the works for a breeder puppy. I just figured if the right dog does come up in rescue in the meantime and everything works out, then it was meant to be.

I was honest about having two kids under five and that one of my dogs is intact on their application. I'm betting that will be the death knell for getting any dog from a rescue. Oh well.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
I was honest about having two kids under five and that one of my dogs is intact on their application. I'm betting that will be the death knell for getting any dog from a rescue. Oh well.
I can understand that frustration. Being a military couple under 25 doesn't get one far, either. For breeders or rescues.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I can understand that frustration. Being a military couple under 25 doesn't get one far, either. For breeders or rescues.
That's really frustrating. We were turned down by GSD rescue for the sole reason that one of the two adults in the house was under 25. This was in a house that we were part owner in that had big a fenced yard.

Luckily I found three breeders that are willing to work with me. Just have to narrow down the breeds. It looks like it'll be either a fila, azawakh, or (dun dun dun!) ANCD. Puppies are a ways off though, so just looking around in the meantime and trying to settle on one. I may get to meet an ANCD sometime this winter and that'll help me figure out if they have the amount of independence/drives I'm hoping for. On paper they sound pretty ideal for what I want.

A fila is protective and vigilant, great at tracking, but might be hard to rent with if I need to rent at some point and could get kind of huge. An azawakh is really protective and vigilant, great size, but has zero interest in tracking. ANCD might be a good compromise, alerting to trespassers, possibly be protective, good at tracking, good size. I think one barking at a burglar from inside the door/window would be a pretty good deterrent anyway.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Top Dog

Wow that is ridiculous about the GSD rescue. I've met plenty of irresponsible dog owners over 25.

I could totally see you with a nice Fila.

Last edited by monkeys23; 10-02-2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: I can't spell.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Taxiderpy

There's a possible litter of filas planned to be born around Christmas and she said I could have second pick female of the litter if I want. Auugh it's so tempting!!! They're great lines and great parents. When it gets closer and/or they're on the ground I'll know for sure.